Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Man converts to Christianity: now faces possible death. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:44 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11955289/

Yes...please look at the link first.

Ok...so what is the news?

A Islamic man from Afghanistan converted to Christianity. However because that is considered a crime against Islam...the man is facing a decision:

Convert back to Islam, or be put to death. Those are his only choices.

So how did this man convert anyway? Hold on...s**t, I don't have the newspaper article(it got trashed). Ok...I'll summaraize it. He went to help a Christian Foreign Aid group somewhere...and after hearing them preach he decided to become Christian.

He went back to his country later on, to try to win custody of his two daughters who had spent thier entire life with thier grandparents. When he was seen holding a bible he was arrested.

So...I'm pretty certain he's going to die. He refuses to convert back...and thus he'll face the penalty.

So what of this situation? Why is it so special?

It points out something interesting. One of the reasons the terrorists want America dead is a supposed "Fear" of America westernizing religion over those regions. Of course that is just a tool of manipulation there.

What got me thinking is...if that guy is let off, the terrorists will have a field day manipulating the event to make it look as though they have a good reason to kill America. They'll say that America is trying to change religion in that area.

One could say that the Christians shouldn't be over there preaching thier stuff. Or Catholics either. The situation is already volatile...why the hell do they have to add more fuel to the inferno?

What they have to say isn't very welcome in that area. Also...they face a lot of danger just walking around with the Bible. How does following something one cannot see, make one so blind?

Are they proud of this incident?

Isn't this symbolic of the struggle over there? It is always a religious thing in that area. They want to hold true to thier religion, enforce it with an iron grip, and kill anything that threatens to disturb it. Of course it isn't just that particular religion, Religion as a whole is like that.

So is this not one more reason to be athiest?

In anycase...what are your thoughts of this incident?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 am
Oh...another train of thought that spawned from this.

I always hear religious complain about how they are being persecuted. They complain about the reactions they get from those they try to convert.

They'll whine and throw an "I want Sympathy!" fit when they get chased off of a doorstep with guns or dogs, when the owner has already told them at least 10 times that they arn't interested in what they have to say.

They whine and grovel when a person gets a restraining order to stop them from entering the property.

They scream and howl when thier attempt at sneaking religion into public school systems doesn't work...calling it a foul attempt to restrict them.

They are the ones who take it upon themselves to walk up into private property...knock on the door, and start trying to convert the person who answers to thier religion.

When they get told to leave, when they get told they are not welcome...or that the person is of another religion(or athiest)...they should get the hint.

When they go on and enter the same property again after being told not to do so...they have only themselves to blame if they get thier feelings hurt, or if they are cursed at, or if they are chased off in threatening ways.

Many religious individuals from America go over to other countries to convert people. To spread the "Word of God!" However, so many of them die. They know they are not welcome...they know that they might get killed...but still they go on.

Why are they like that? Why are they so persistant that they'll ignore the danger they put themselves in, and then be so ignorent as to cry about it later when they get hurt?

Sanguvixen

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:07 am
WARNING!
Very cynicle comment approaching!

The sooner these theists kill each other the sooner they're out of the gene pool.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:56 am
Dathu
WARNING!

The sooner these theists kill each other the sooner they're out of the gene pool.

A bit harsh don't you think?

If they go to war with each other, the thiests won't be the only ones that get dragged into the conflict and hurt.

Sanguvixen

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:49 pm
Sanguvixen
Dathu
WARNING!

A bit harsh don't you think?

If they go to war with each other, the thiests won't be the only ones that get dragged into the conflict and hurt.

Hey, I warned ya.

Anyway, these theists are gunna go to war no matter what I feel about it. If they do, good. After all is said and done, there'll be less of them. If they don't, that's fine too. That means their learning to be tolerant, in which case they're not so bad. It's a win-win situation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:44 pm
Dathu
WARNING!

I know its terrible to say but... that made me laugh. And not just snicker but to belt out laughing.

And personally, I think that all religious people are... erm... how to put this... Well... Yes, what you are saying Sanguvixen is true, but... they're all so thick headed. I have to say I agree with both of you on this particular topic. Though it is sad to know someones gonna die for his beliefs.  

PickleBoy

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:46 pm
There is one good thing about having multiple, competing religions: as long as they do, the U.S. will have to uphold the freedom of religion, and we atheists (the perpetual minority--I cannot figure out why) are safe.

I find it very telling that the "Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission" is "state-sponsored". I don't think its rulings are all that independent.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 am
Meh. This is just a tool from the media. There are probably more stories than they should reveal but want to "emphasize" on this one espescially.

Well, I think the sentence is harsh. But I'm still wondering why the Bush admininstration has anything to do with this. Makes you want to think about American politics. rolleyes  

TofuDreamer

[Subject to Availability]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:51 am
Dathu
WARNING!

I would agree if it wasn't for the probability that people would still keep fighting, regardless.

-Matt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm
I think we are all pretty much of the same opinion.

I however, still find it hard to understand dying for something you cannot see, hear, or touch. To die with the hope that the god you beleive in is real....to me that is foolishness.

Sanguvixen

iviary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:35 pm
Sanguvixen

I however, still find it hard to understand dying for something you cannot see, hear, or touch. To die with the hope that the god you beleive in is real....to me that is foolishness.

In their minds, it isn't just hope, it's fact. They see, hear, and touch what they believe are signs of his presence every day. {shrug} I would never be found in his shoes, but I can grasp how he has placed himself in them. He will die a martyr.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:17 pm
iviary
Sanguvixen

In their minds, it isn't just hope, it's fact. They see, hear, and touch what they believe are signs of his presence every day. {shrug} I would never be found in his shoes, but I can grasp how he has placed himself in them. He will die a martyr.

Maybe...maybe not.

Sanguvixen

Saurencaerthai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 pm
Score one more point for the Religion of Peace!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:54 pm
Id like a world without religion, because It corrups so many people. But the truth is that will never happen, so try to be tolerant and accepting.  

Taylr752

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:43 pm
Sanguvixen

You have to have some fools in order to call ourselves smart.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff