Welcome to Gaia! ::

Annual User Run Ball Planning Guild

Back to Guilds

The event planning organisation for the AURB! 

Tags: aurb, annual ball, ball, user run, event 

Reply Locked Threads
Changing up the way the Ball is run. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mishi Tanaka

Eternal Trickster

16,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 am
VERY Stressful for main host. and even for other hosts. And the ball seems to be dying off as in it doesn't have that much interest like it once did. We need to rejuvenate it and distribute the stress levels a bit more evenly.
Please type these types of suggestions here.

One thing I think might help is making the Main Host of the Planning Guild simply an Administrator not a Room RP Host. They have so much to manage if might be nice to not have to worry about the RP part and just be able to deal with making sure things run smoothly.

Art and uniformity - something I thought of while making my art (and the reason it had frames around it) was that the introductory post should look uniform and simple kind of like how gaia does their CIs where you meet people and they all seem to have a backdrop or frame that is the same but maybe a slightly different color scheme depending on team (we would do depending on room).  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:39 am
I'm not going to address this properly until I've had a chance to rest and recover, but given that I actually need to rest and recover in the first place is proof enough that the role of main host needs to change. Given that every host that has gone before me has either quit gaia or outright refused to ever host again, the role needs to change. Knowing what this does to a person, I can't in good conscience pass this role on to someone else the way it is now, so I fully agree with this.  

troubled-pasta

Enduring Spirit

11,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:37 am

I may not have helped with the ball this year, but I have some ideas from running large event irl. Maybe there is a way to divide up the administration tasks. Having the main host be just an administrator or a minor character if the host wants to roleplay would decrease the amount of time the host would have to spend following the roleplay constantly. Instead it would allow them to focus on the contests and other administration tasks.

Also find a way to truly make sure the room hosts are ready to be completely committed to their rooms. Also having a planning committee might help, where a group of people try to support the main host as much as possible with different administrative tasks.. There is a lot administrative things that need to be completed for this type of event to run smoothly.

(Though I do geniunely believe that the ball is not dying off for the way it is run or anything like that. I left Gaia because of the new administration of the site and the changes as well as college. I fear that the way Gaia is currently run is pushing the people who used to enjoy the balls off the site in general... Not that there is much we can do about that problem.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:03 am
Before, I found it odd that the Main Host needed to unify all the rooms and RP as well. I guess I didnt spoke up was because it seemed like it was working. Like our government, after 200 years its still functioning strongly, even though the founding fathers made it up to be temporary.

So I totally agree to this. Making the Main Host be an administrator instead of RP host of all rooms. We're all heading for one goal, we don't need someone to solely walk the treacherous path alone ahead of us.

I would have to agree that with the way Gaia is running, they're pushing people away. I took a two year hiatus from Gaia because of that as well as school. Well, mostly school. I've been meaning to visit Gaia last year, but rl happened.  

Mitsuko Yukimura

Friendly Regular

13,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:57 pm
A vote to the idea that the main host needs more than a secondary haha.

Also, what about a person dedicated to keeping the ball members informed and in contact? Cause that was a rather large problem last year

I would also like to add that there should be more solid deadlines for the entire ball, and not just leave it for the room hosts to decide. This hopefully would make the planning process more smoother, and more organized, like these last not-even-a-month rush , where an entire ball got done lol.

We should also think about having more than one room next year.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm
Mushyung

Normally, its always been more than one room, like at least 4-5 rooms.
From what I heard, last year was just a management fallout, so because of that, it was rushed to a month and the end result was one room.

But I totally agree to your other ideas of being informed and in contact, as well as more deadlines.  

Mitsuko Yukimura

Friendly Regular

13,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:06 pm
Mitsuko Yukimura
Mushyung

Normally, its always been more than one room, like at least 4-5 rooms.
From what I heard, last year was just a management fallout, so because of that, it was rushed to a month and the end result was one room.

But I totally agree to your other ideas of being informed and in contact, as well as more deadlines.

Yes, I know. I'm 14Mushrooms by the way lol
Thank you though!

The reason I mentioned the one room thing was because the lack of staff. Even with 11 people in the room, 3 rarely or never showed up, two were extremely bogged down with responsibilities and could only get on at night, and the rest were on and off also due to school, work, etc. There was usually only one or two hosts in mornings until around 12 CST, which was pretty darn stressful haha.

If there are more rooms next ball, there will definitely have to be some sort of rotation for the hosts so no room is left host-less for a large time-period. It would be very hard to organize this for more than one room, because people have lives, emergencies happen, they have more important responsibilities, etc, to dedicate their entire time to the AURB for four days, which is a damn long time.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:24 pm
Mushyung
Mitsuko Yukimura
Mushyung

Yes, I know. I'm 14Mushrooms by the way lol
Thank you though!

The reason I mentioned the one room thing was because the lack of staff. Even with 11 people in the room, 3 rarely or never showed up, two were extremely bogged down with responsibilities and could only get on at night, and the rest were on and off also due to school, work, etc. There was usually only one or two hosts in mornings until around 12 CST, which was pretty darn stressful haha.

If there are more rooms next ball, there will definitely have to be some sort of rotation for the hosts so no room is left host-less for a large time-period. It would be very hard to organize this for more than one room, because people have lives, emergencies happen, they have more important responsibilities, etc, to dedicate their entire time to the AURB for four days, which is a damn long time.

What do you think?

Another problem with this past ball was when it happened. Normally it happens at least a week or two before school starts or in the middle of summer. I guess because of the fallout, it wasn't established properly.

For multiple rooms idea, which we should always have, of course there will be a host. But for the secondary hosts, we should also have a thread opened to portray the potential second hosts as to a location. Then the room hosts can pick and choose which second host they want to maximize the room so its not hostless for so long.

But yes, we need to establish multiple rooms, like always. The past ball was somewhat of a fluke, for two reasons: the fallout, and the timing.

Mitsuko Yukimura

Friendly Regular

13,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:37 pm
Mitsuko Yukimura

Yes you're right!

The whole
late ball' thing wasn't a fluke by the way. It was decided when Newsies was still the main host that the ball should be held later in the year so people wouldn't be busy with starting school, especially college. It...sort of worked? Maybe we should try having the ball earlier this year haha.

So you're saying we should let the room hosts pick their secondaries instead of the main host deciding for everyone right? That's another responsibility for the main host gone lmao~
That is a great idea. I'm kind of worried about communication issues though with the difference in time, especially during an emergency or something.

Multiple rooms would be nice, but I'm worried about if they'll be short staffed. :<
Maybe three or four, but definitely no more than that. We tried this year, but so many people disappeared or dropped out as well as the fallout. >.>  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:57 pm
Mushyung

So Epcot was main host for this year? Remind me to glomp him...>w<

Yes, exactly that.and well, it might not be ideal, but maybe the exchange of everyday emails (yahoo, aol, Gmail...etc.) might be beneficial for un-expectations, emergencies or other.

Well, when I helped out from 8th~12th, there were always one room host, one second room host, and 1-2 sec. sec. room room hosts.
But of course we need to grab more members for the 15th so then it can pay out like that.  

Mitsuko Yukimura

Friendly Regular

13,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm
Mitsuko Yukimura

Uuuuuhhhh nonono, glomp troubled. Seriously. And Brokuto. They worked really, REALLY hard.
Troubled ended up taking over the main host position, with Bro as his secondary, for a very good reason.

Yes, that would help immensely! Perhaps there could be more than one 'secondary' per room?

Unfortunately it seems the few new members we gathered may not be enough for that ;w;
Hopefully our numbers will grow! Gotta stay optimistic lmao  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:08 pm
Mushyung
Mitsuko Yukimura

Don't worry I'm gonna give them extra big glomps for stepping up and making this ball a good one! <3

I think it would depend on the room host, since he/she will be a leader for his/her own little platoon of hosts...;D

I'm sure we will! >w< We just gotta get the word out.
Maybe...just maybe..once Gaia close down the forum for this ball, we might get people?  

Mitsuko Yukimura

Friendly Regular

13,250 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:11 pm
Mushyung
Also, what about a person dedicated to keeping the ball members informed and in contact? Cause that was a rather large problem last year

I would also like to add that there should be more solid deadlines for the entire ball, and not just leave it for the room hosts to decide. This hopefully would make the planning process more smoother, and more organized, like these last not-even-a-month rush , where an entire ball got done lol.

Yes to both of these! And with the keeping the members informed maybe have like a 'newsletter' or weekly message sent out with updates and deadline reminders. Maybe it would be easier for keeping informed if these messages were sent out to emails instead of on Gaia though?

Also, deadlines are always useful! They should be set early on and maybe have a calendar of deadlines? Also if extra time is requested for something than a reason needs to be given for an extension of the deadline?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:14 pm
Mitsuko Yukimura
Mushyung
Mitsuko Yukimura

Don't worry I'm gonna give them extra big glomps for stepping up and making this ball a good one! <3

I think it would depend on the room host, since he/she will be a leader for his/her own little platoon of hosts...;D

I'm sure we will! >w< We just gotta get the word out.
Maybe...just maybe..once Gaia close down the forum for this ball, we might get people?

I have been in contact with a gaian who is interested in helping out with the administration and planning of the ball, but not in role-playing as a host. They'll definitely be helpful though!

Yes, hopefully more people will meander over here, now and through the year. If there's a mini-event in the middle of the planning year around Feburary or something, that would help maybe!!  

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Do we have any banners for the planning guild that we can put in our sigs or show off in the current ball forum? That might make people aware of the planning guild at least.

Locked Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff