Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:43 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:14 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:16 pm
I would have to say I know a few Athiests and that is about it.

The bottom line is if that is what I am thinking it is...only 2000 people were polled. There are more than 2000 people in America.

Almost everyone at my school is religous, and my entire family believes in God. I am the only one that is athiest, but I keep it quite.

Interestingly enough the few friends I have that are gay/lesbian/bi happen to be athiest. Athiesm is not new. It is not uncommon. Most athiets keep quite out of fear that the ones around them will persecute them, or hate them.

There are many athiests that go to church, and do what they are told, but they only do it because they don't want society to persecute them, or they do not want thier family to turn on them. It is unfair, but I feel over time when people realize that it isn't a fad...that eventually they will accept that our way of thinking is real, and it isn't going to fade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:59 pm
They think because we have no religon, we have no structer and morals. Altough most people need religon to keep them from murder. I bet most of us dont, just because we dont have a god doesnt mean we dont know right from wrong.  

Taylr752

Taylr752

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:01 pm
LinkinPark7
They think because we have no religon, we have no structer and morals. Altough most people need religon to keep them from murder. I bet most of us dont, just because we dont have a god doesnt mean we dont know right from wrong.
I like the comic it's funny and true, now not to stero-type but most christians would find something like that offensive, along with most other religons.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:53 pm
I'm actually not surprise in that study.

And being in Canada, I can pretty well say it's probably true here too.

I agree with caustic, a major part of the problem is that atheists (and agnostics) tend to hide their beliefs (or lack there of) which results in fewer people realizing just how close this group is to them. It's kind of like the 'I can't see it, so it's not there' scenario. It's like they're in denial, and when the subject is brought up, they freak.

I hope that made sense, I just got off of work.  

Pistil

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:33 am
In Hong Kong, most people don't even think about it, so there aren't many that would openly mention that they're atheists. As for Sydney, I think there are more Christians, but there are quite a lot of atheists and agnostics at my school too, and I go to a Christian school (not because my parents are Christian, it's a good school unless you look at the fact that we have devotional assemblies).  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:57 am
2,000 people through telephone is a small sample. Especially if the numbers they called were all middle American. I don't know, however, since they didn't give the details of the sampling. I'm sure we're a minority, but I'll take the study a little more seriously when I see a bigger and more random sample.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

aguave.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:03 am
I live in Canada on Vancouver Island.
The majority of the people I come across are agnostic/atheist. Very few with beliefs of a higher being.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:07 am
The other day I told someone I was athuest, and he actually said he was cool with that, and It was such a relief.  

Taylr752

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:06 pm
Considering where I live (West AL), I've pretty much got two choices:

Keep shut up about it, and let the "I can't see it, so it's not there" thing slide

OR...

Lynching!

Maybe not lynching, but let's just say the police prolly wouldn't stay on my side.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 am
Somehow, atheists seem to find each other.
Or, those that doubt find atheists, and join our ranks. ;]
That's how I've met/gotten closer with a good portion of my atheist friends: philisophical discussion about religion and god.

I don't enjoy being a disliked minority.
And while the fact that many of us hide our beliefs is detrimental to the progression of our public image, I'm glad that atheism isn't a physical trait. I'm glad that I can pretend to be a good little Christian, even when I don't enjoy playing that game. I hate confrontation, and while I'm much more open than I once was about my beliefs, I'm not on a mission to convince the prejudiced that atheists are not the scum they think we are.  

iviary

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:21 am
Then how come I knew no athiests, Until I convinced (I dont want to say converted) some of my friends.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:49 am
Oh the delights of England.

Sure, most teenagers go through highschool, reject RE and call Christians weirdos, but those aren't atheists. Those are morons.

Although I admit to knowing more Atheists than anything else.

Hell, I've been known to beat atheism into people. Aren't I nice?

-Matt

[Subject to Availability]

Dande_Lion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:10 am
addseale2
Considering where I live (West AL), I've pretty much got two choices:

Keep shut up about it, and let the "I can't see it, so it's not there" thing slide

OR...

Lynching!

Maybe not lynching, but let's just say the police prolly wouldn't stay on my side.

Oh hi near neighbor. I live in Birmingham.

And yes sometimes I feel a little bit anxious about the police and am less open about my atheism than I'd like.

My friends, the Pagans, have gotten kicked out of just about anyplace they want to hold a meeting. It's funny because they're very polite at their meeting-places, but they are constantly being discriminated against.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff