Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Bubble magnets and necklaces Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:14 am
These are insanely popular on Craftster so I'm sure a ton of you have seen them before. For how simple they are I'm amazed at how people are going crazy for them though. The women I work with absolutely love them! *L*

User Image

What you need:
flat back marbles (make sure you get clear, not lustre)
magnets/thumbtacks/whatever you want to stick them to
craft glue that dries clear
super sticky glue that holds well (I use E6000)
tiny little pictures

I got one of those circular hole punches from the scrapbook section of Michaels and use that to punch out my images. They have to be small but the marble magnifies them some.

For the necklace I couldn't find any actual backs to glue it to so I improvised and got a package of these huge glasps used for braclets. They're the kind that have a big loop and then the little stick bit that goes through them. I just glued the circle to the back and used a jump ring to put them on a necklace. I've been wearing mine for days and it hasn't fallen apart yet! Oh but if you do that make sure you cover the back of the picture with tape or something, that way if you get caught in a rain storm there's no worries. 3nodding

I'd take pictures of the process and post it as a tutorial but... well... I don't know if that's really necessary and I don't want to spam the forums.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:44 pm
I remember making those! They're tons of fun and turn out so cute! The hardest part for me was finding pictures small enough with decent image quality.  

Catcheen
Crew

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:16 pm
I've been using stickers a lot. And when my friend went to Japan he brought me back some really random stuff, such as a catalogue full of toys. *L* So yeah I've been using those images too.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:25 pm
I got a klutz kit a few years ago with these. So easy to make, but they look so nice!
I love the one that says 'geek'. I need to make my own... blaugh  

anneadeline

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:42 am
Both the "geek" and the skull came from a ThinkGeek.com catalogue I got in the mail. *L* Yesterday I was cutting up Walmart ads and using those. I made my coworker one from a package of men's underwear. xd She's the type of woman who would gladly go drop everything to see the Chippendales or something along those lines so yeah, she loved it. *L* Meanwhile I was just telling my friends "I'm making inappropriate magnets for my coworker! YAY!"  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:33 pm
I love those things, I decorated my mirror with them once. It looks awesome.

When I made them I found that the only glue that didn't leave bubbles when it dried was this stuff called gem glue that I got from a random cheap store. It is really really strong too,  

I be me
Vice Captain

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:22 pm
I should look for that. I've only had a few problems with bubbles but hey anything that helps is welcomed!

I've been trying to think of things I could use these for to make something for my friend. She's not big on the magnets or pins but I should try decoring a mirror or maybe a trinket box or something.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:21 pm
Ooh, now I'm interested in making some of these.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Halliann

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:32 pm
I have a whole bag of those, right on my desk. Making them into necklaces is a good idea!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:27 am
So last night I took a blank round mirror and made my coworkers name out of the size marbles I used above and put it at the top, then three small pictures out of the same size and put them at the bottom. I lined the rest of it with smaller blue ones.

I'm so psyched to give it to her but I have no way to hang/display it! So I need to figure that out this weekend!!!  

onnawaffle

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:01 am
I finally was able to do this kind of craft today! I'd been secretly wanting to for months. ^^ Wow, and I put Ninja Turtles in a few of my bubbles, to. Though I couldn't find any pictures of Donatello... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:03 am
I never seen this before xd *feels so left behind* It not something thats being done here in Denmark, so i would love a tutorial 3nodding  

Erichte

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:33 pm
My coworker is constantly messing with her hair and asking me how it looks so I made her a mirror. *L*

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:17 pm
omg that is adorable! they would look great on picture frames too!  

gemini6184

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:07 pm
I plan on doing a picture frame for my friend after she visits me. I need to wait for her to come so I can take pictures of us together.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff