Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So I was wondering... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:35 pm
I was wondering why it seems that most of the stuff we say is about Christianity? I personally think that the Jewish,Muslim, and Buddist religions are cool, although I still do not believe in them. I also think that the reason we critisize Christianity more because they like to critisize us a lot. Do you guys feel like this also?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:59 pm
Speaking for myself, I am immersed in an environment packed with Christians, so that's the religion I see, and that's the one I complain about. If I lived around Hindis or Buddhists, I'm sure I'd have my own complaints.

Speaking of Buddhism, I was reading an article in WIRED about how the Dalai Lama spoke at a neuroscience convention. A lot of scientist were POed that they would let a religious figure speak at the conference, yet he had a lot of interesting things to say about meditation.

Now, if the pope wants to speak at a sexology conference, that's a different matter...  

DivideByZero14

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:45 am
I am surrounded by Christians also. They always act as if every body is a Christian even the 2% Jewish population in our school. I would hate to be a Jewish, Muslim, or Buddist in that situation, don't you think that they would feel hated and also hate towards the people that hate them.(wow that sentence almost made sense, I think)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:17 am
The two Prominent religions in the USA are Christianity and Catholic.

Well...Christianity is the group that draws the most attention to themselves, and they tend to be the ones bad-mouthing Atheism/Agnostism more than other religions.

So I'll say that would be the reason we speak of them the most. Plus...Christianity is heavy with the Bible Stuff...and any religion that follows the Bible is prime prey for being picked apart.

Face it, the Bible has more holes than a fence, and is a hippocrite wearing holy attire. If the Bible were a person, it would be put in a straight-jacket ASAP and whisked of permanently to a mental ward. What would you do if a person says "Blood for Blood" and later says "Forgive your enemies"....?

Why do the most violent of religions always have some sort of Bible?

I mean Christianity has the Bible, and thier past is a blood bath. Correct me if I am wrong but Islamists have the Toran.

Notice a pattern? Mormons have a book too although I am uncertain of it's name...and Mormons don't have a bloodless past either.

Sanguvixen

HaileSelassie601993

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:41 pm
My school is about fifty to sixty percent Jewish, so I tend to think about Judaism about as much as I do Christianity.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:49 pm
paulkimpaul
My school is about fifty to sixty percent Jewish, so I tend to think about Judaism about as much as I do Christianity.

Which just goes to show that it's the environment you live in that affects your religious criticisms, not the religion itself.  

puresilver

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:31 pm
Sanguvixen

Well...Christianity is the group that draws the most attention to themselves, and they tend to be the ones bad-mouthing Atheism/Agnostism more than other religions.

Umm...wouldn't it be Protestantism and Catholicism? Christianity, I believe, is an umbrella for both.

Sanguvixen
So I'll say that would be the reason we speak of them the most. Plus...Christianity is heavy with the Bible Stuff...and any religion that follows the Bible is prime prey for being picked apart.

Face it, the Bible has more holes than a fence, and is a hippocrite wearing holy attire. If the Bible were a person, it would be put in a straight-jacket ASAP and whisked of permanently to a mental ward. What would you do if a person says "Blood for Blood" and later says "Forgive your enemies"....?

I mean Christianity has the Bible, and thier past is a blood bath. Correct me if I am wrong but Islamists have the Toran.

Notice a pattern? Mormons have a book too although I am uncertain of it's name...and Mormons don't have a bloodless past either.

I think it's not the book. I think that the book provides justification and backs up a not-so-benevolent leader(s), who interpret it to mean anything they want. The many Islamic leaders are constantly interpreting the Qu'ran to fit their own agendas, and turning their constituents against another leader's. The Pope and the Mormon leaders do the same thing. Obviously the crazy things a religious leader says are OK if he can manage to SOMEHOW back them up in the book.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 pm
DivideByZero14
Sanguvixen

Umm...wouldn't it be Protestantism and Catholicism? Christianity, I believe, is an umbrella for both.

Sanguvixen

I think it's not the book. I think that the book provides justification and backs up a not-so-benevolent leader(s), who interpret it to mean anything they want. The many Islamic leaders are constantly interpreting the Qu'ran to fit their own agendas, and turning their constituents against another leader's. The Pope and the Mormon leaders do the same thing. Obviously the crazy things a religious leader says are OK if he can manage to SOMEHOW back them up in the book.

Hmm...I might have gotten the terms mixed up. I've lived in several difference states, and most religious I see are Christians.

Hmm...According to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant

Protestant is a break off of the Roman Catholic Church....and is a branch of Christianity..

Also according to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity
Christianity is the worlds largest religion. I would assume that would mean they have the most followers.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Church
It says that the Roman Catholic Church is a Christian Church.

So that all aside, I think your right. Christianity is an ambrella for many other religions...which is probably why it has the largest amount of followers. So I would think that too could be a reason we speak of Christianity the most....seeing as it is Prominent.

Isn't Catholicism a form of Christianity...being a branch of it?

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:22 pm
Sanguvixen
Isn't Catholicism a form of Christianity...being a branch of it?

*nods*

Other prominent divisions/forms/branches are Orthodox Christianity (i.e., the iconoclasts), Anglican (the Church of England), Methodist, Calvinist, Lutheran, Baptist, Mormon, and a buncha' others. All non-Catholic Christians are considered Protestant.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:58 pm
Sanguvixen

That'd be the Qu'ran or Koran and the Book of Mormon. Mormons also use the Christian bible, and consider themselves Christian.  

iviary

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:25 pm
iviary
Sanguvixen

That'd be the Qu'ran or Koran and the Book of Mormon. Mormons also use the Christian bible, and consider themselves Christian.
Buddhists also have a book and it seems to me, thought correct me if I'm wrong, that they have not had as many religious disputes and wars. Their book is called the Surtras also sometimes called the Tripitaka (or something like that).  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Thatisonesexypanda!
iviary
Sanguvixen

Buddhists also have a book and it seems to me, thought correct me if I'm wrong, that they have not had as many religious disputes and wars. Their book is called the Surtras also sometimes called the Tripitaka (or something like that).

Indeed, but I'm not sure Buddhism is exactly a religion, either. They don't technically have any god(s). It's a path for enlightenment, not anything geared toward reverence and worship of deities. Also, it's more of a personal religion than its more violent brethren; they don't hold anything against other religions. {Also, doesn't Sutra only have one R? I'm not sure..}  

iviary

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:44 pm
The biggest religions ware I live are Christianity and Catholic. I dident spend that mutch time around them when I was growing up because my parents werent really religious and my dad wanted me to stay away from them. I dident develop a grudge agenst them entill I was 10, after I started getting annoyed by them.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:44 pm
I used to focus on Christian based religions, but now my menue has variety. However, it's hard to criticize some Asian religions because they're practically Atheist. Confusionism recognizes no god. It's pretty much just a philosophy.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Pistil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:54 pm
Indeed most of the people I meet are christian.

But when walking down the street, I'm confronted with more muslims, jews, and random others than christians.

Which is why typically I think of christianity first, but when talking, I word everything so that as many religions fall within what I'm saying as possible, but still makes sense.

(aka. I usually remain vague XD)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces