Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
"Chinks" Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stereotype true for you?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 17 ]
NO!!
61%
 61%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 44

Deivon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:26 pm
I used to live in Toronto. Back there, there were a lot of Chinese people and I always felt welcome and felt like I fit into the majority, race-wise.

Now, I live in America. Everybody here is either black or white (with long noses), with the occasionally Chaldean. There are very few Asian people here, never mind Chinese.

My Korean friend affectionally calls us "Chinks" and I know he's just kidding, but I wonder what the black and white people at our school really think of us. I know that there is a subconscious stereotype of the Chinese being really smart and being geeks with no lives. I am smart, but I have been greeted by the negative side of that stereotype before and it's not pleasant. Also, I know Chinese people at our school who aren't smart but are regarded as smart because they are Chinese.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:28 pm
The "c***k" title makes me feel really bad. sad  

Deivon

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:50 pm
Deivon

I've been in a few fights when I was younger over that word. My advice, if at first, violence doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:20 pm
tamcharles
Deivon

I've been in a few fights when I was younger over that word. My advice, if at first, violence doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough.

I don't think violence would solve anything. no matter how much you use. if you ignore them enough they'll go away. all violence would do is earn you more lectures from parents.  

yalie5

lazyprocrastinator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:30 pm
I live in South Cali, so there are asians everywhere. I think my hs is 80% asian. I really hate that word, seriously. Sure some asians have eyes like that but dude! gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:22 pm
i've never heard the name "c***k" used before
-i'm so used to having so many whites and blacks around, i'm used to it, when i go to vancouver or toronto i feel wierd cause i'm not used to being around a lot of chinese ppl even though i'm chinese myself  

[J.C.]

Darkaznstargoddess
Captain

Ruthless Genius

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:27 pm
Kurama35

Same..
In my high school only 5% of the population is asian.
I know only 2 other cantonese speakers..

While back at my k-8 school.
Being one of the 15/724 asian kids at the school sucked.

I think most people of other races consider me quiet and expect me to be a genuis..
V-v;
Adds more pressure..  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:59 pm
Darkaznstargoddess
Kurama35

Same..

I think most people of other races consider me quiet and expect me to be a genuis..
V-v;
Adds more pressure..

hey, i'm exactly the same as u (except that i'm not a girl biggrin lol)  

[J.C.]

yalie5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:56 pm
Kurama35
Darkaznstargoddess
Kurama35

Same..

V-v;
Adds more pressure..

I hope not. xp jk whee heart  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:47 pm
yalie5
Kurama35
Darkaznstargoddess
Kurama35

Same..

V-v;
Adds more pressure..

I hope not. xp jk whee heart
Another exception between you two is the fact that HKC lives in Hong Kong.... blaugh  

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100

~Plagas Attrayante~

6,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:28 pm
well...that was bad so bad sad .....lucky me i stay at a place where all race respect each other....there are no differ between us...we speak each other languages...which make us malaysian a peaceful country and harmony...and all of us is capable of speaking many languages... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:07 pm
yalie5
tamcharles
Deivon

I don't think violence would solve anything. no matter how much you use. if you ignore them enough they'll go away. all violence would do is earn you more lectures from parents.

I'm with Charles on this one with some knowledge to back it up too ^^ I see it as by us acting this way we are showing we are not what you stereotype us to be. In fact we aren't all smart and some of us will even use violence to solve our problems. Which would result in showing them the stereotype does not exsist!  

Mingo Mui

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:06 am
never heard of the term "chinks", sounds kinda cute though, unless its meant to be offensive...

in australia we have FOB's, i thikn its fresh off the boats, they're identified as always having the newest electronic gadgets, like mp3s and cmaeras and phones and stuff... oh and i think they suck at english or something...

but more than half of the students in our school are asian, so there's no dissing of the asian people - you practically just hear cantonese in class instead of english.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:10 am
cold_blooded_chick
never heard of the term "chinks", sounds kinda cute though, unless its meant to be offensive...

in australia we have FOB's, i thikn its fresh off the boats, they're identified as always having the newest electronic gadgets, like mp3s and cmaeras and phones and stuff... oh and i think they suck at english or something...

but more than half of the students in our school are asian, so there's no dissing of the asian people - you practically just hear cantonese in class instead of english.

I don't think it was meant to be cute sweatdrop

I don't have the full details about the word but I believe it was from 2 generations back when Canada first had immagrants, that was where the word originated from I believe.

Also in most people's opinion it is rather offensive, since it is stereotyping us.  

Mingo Mui

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:47 pm
To be used in normal life and as a stereotypical name at first, Chinese were called "Chinaman" or "Chinawoman".

I do not know the etymology of "c***k" but I doubt it started out as something good. I would guess that it started out as a racist remark somewhere in the early 1900s....  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff