Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Organizations Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:01 pm
I'm just curious about what kind of groups people are involved in or have seen around their college/school/community.
Started any groups on your own? More specifically, what about the activity with religious kinds of groups? I still haven't seen or heard about much around my campus yet with free thought or tolerance kinds of groups.
Mainly, to be honest, it's been all christian and muslim group activity. The islamic group at my college arranges alot of tolerance talks by various muslim writers or other people.
I've seen fliers around for christian group meetings. ((One was kind of amusing in that the agenda or whatever you want to call it for that particular meeting was to answer people's questions about christianity. How can you expect them to be objective?))

But anyways.. I've also seen some posters for a group for women's interests, mainly in regards to free choice.
Erm. That's all I can think of at the moment. >.>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:27 pm
So are you asking are their any "organized" christian or Atheist groups at our school. No. And truthfully i wouldn't go to any of the atheist meetings i dont think. A lot of highschoolers claim to be atheist or whatever and im sure their just saying it to be "cool" or "rebelious" when truth be told their totaly shitting themselves. Like how a lot of people consider themselves wiccan but they preform no rituals or prayrs. Just posing ya know? If their was like a science club i'd join that cause we'd debate stuff more logically. But alas our poor stupid highschool sucks a**  

E_Night

iviary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:29 pm
Clubs/organizations I'm a member of:
>National Art Honor Society
>National Honor Society
>Phoenix Literary Magazine Editorial Staff
>Badminton Club
>Photography Club
>Orchestra

The Only Faith-Related Clubs at my High School:
>Fellowship of Christian Athletes (though they've changed "athletes" to "anybodies" to make it more broadly encompassing. And stupid-sounding.)
>Bible Club (they wear shirts that say "Satan Bad. Jesus Good." and "ASK ME ABOUT GOD.")

One of my friends wanted me to help him start an Atheist Club of some sort, but I declined. As much as a community would be nice, I don't want to deal with all the confrontation, and general misunderstanding.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:09 am
I'm not in any clubs at my college but there are a lot of tolerance clubs and faith based clubs around. I'd list them, but I can't really think of any. Just think of something, and you could probably find a club to fit your need. And an office to run it. My school's pretty liberal in that respect. In fact... its a pretty liberal school all over. Since its a public school and can't be biased in that regard.

Has anyone else heard/participated this last week in something called "Take Back the Night"? I wanted to but kept forgetting when the important stuff was taking place. cry  

PickleBoy

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:52 am
Our school clubs are actually pathetic.

Pokemon club ( xd )
Robotics club ( xd xd )
Model railway club ( xd xd xd )

(all these are from, like, 12 year old boys, second-years. I'm 16 xp )
Then sports and s**t.

There are no religious clubs at all, but the 6th form college i'm going to next year has a christian thing. I'd quite like to set up an 'open minded religious and other intelligent topic discussion group'. I think an "athiest club" round here would just be complete christian-slagging-off and no serious discussion.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:32 am
Muaethia
I'd quite like to set up an 'open minded religious and other intelligent topic discussion group'. I think an "athiest club" round here would just be complete christian-slagging-off and no serious discussion.
Yeah, I'd be afraid of it ending up like that. Then it would like iviary said, just cause more misunderstanding.
I guess open minded kind of groups where anyone can join work better.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

iviary

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:29 pm
c a u s t i c
Muaethia
I'd quite like to set up an 'open minded religious and other intelligent topic discussion group'. I think an "athiest club" round here would just be complete christian-slagging-off and no serious discussion.
Yeah, I'd be afraid of it ending up like that. Then it would like iviary said, just cause more misunderstanding.
I guess open minded kind of groups where anyone can join work better.

Yes. If I founded anything, it would probably be an "Alternative Faiths Group" or something. Or maybe.. "Minority Beliefs Understanding" or.. I don't know. A public forum to discuss and educate regarding non-Christian beliefs, basically.  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:04 pm
Our school is located smack right in the middle of the Bible Belt. So needless to say, the only religious club/organization here is FCA, which is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I went to a meeting once to check it out, and I didn't get much out of it.
I'm not sure if an "open-minded religious and etc." group would work out here. People I know are either fully-brainwashed-devout Christians or lazy, lazy Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/"Non-denominational"/etc. Don't ask me what "Non-denominational" means. Some people claim to be it.
But my point is, I don't think my school has the sense of maturity for that sort of club to be successful.

FalseDiagnosis

iviary

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:14 pm
FalseDiagnosis
Our school is located smack right in the middle of the Bible Belt. So needless to say, the only religious club/organization here is FCA, which is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I went to a meeting once to check it out, and I didn't get much out of it.
I'm not sure if an "open-minded religious and etc." group would work out here. People I know are either fully-brainwashed-devout Christians or lazy, lazy Atheists/Agnostics/Pagans/"Non-denominational"/etc. Don't ask me what "Non-denominational" means. Some people claim to be it.
But my point is, I don't think my school has the sense of maturity for that sort of club to be successful.

Non-denominational is actually a denomination of Christianity..
I'm afraid my school would totally revolt as well. I'm getting sick of seeing all the signs for Band Chaplain going around.. "Big Bang Theory? I don't think so! - God (Vote for Christelle, Chaplain '06-'07!)" Ugh.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:44 pm
iviary
I'm afraid my school would totally revolt as well. I'm getting sick of seeing all the signs for Band Chaplain going around.. "Big Bang Theory? I don't think so! - God (Vote for Christelle, Chaplain '06-'07!)" Ugh.

Why is it respectable clubs like National Honor Society and Beta Club have you elect a CHAPLAIN alongside real administrative offices? And, next time they give one of their "non-denominational" sermons, I should poke my hand up and tell them exactly why it offends me. After all, all the other minorities get the same treatment. Why should we be forced to swear on the Bible, or some other such nonsense?  

DivideByZero14

Muaethia

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 am
DivideByZero14
iviary

Why is it respectable clubs like National Honor Society and Beta Club have you elect a CHAPLAIN alongside real administrative offices? And, next time they give one of their "non-denominational" sermons, I should poke my hand up and tell them exactly why it offends me. After all, all the other minorities get the same treatment. Why should we be forced to swear on the Bible, or some other such nonsense?

If it's one thing I'm determined not to do, it's swear on the bible.

Even in court, I would refuse point blanc to do so.

It's a matter of principal, like I would never get married religiously even if my partner was religious. We could comprimise in parts I suppose, but no god-type vows thankyou very much.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:17 pm
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
iviary

It's a matter of principal, like I would never get married religiously even if my partner was religious. We could comprimise in parts I suppose, but no god-type vows thankyou very much.

I've never been to a wedding; was there any mention of God? Well, I've nothing against the ceremony, and, in my wedding, should I have one, the vows would be strictly secular.  

DivideByZero14

Muaethia

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:45 pm
DivideByZero14
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
iviary

I've never been to a wedding; was there any mention of God? Well, I've nothing against the ceremony, and, in my wedding, should I have one, the vows would be strictly secular.

Eh... over here, anyway, most people choose ceromanies with mention of the man and woman being united in front of God etc, even if they're not religious (e.g. my parents). Dunno if it's tradition, but I suppose if you want to be married in a church it's compulsary to put up with.

You can have a non-religious service in a registary office/other random place you want to get married (e.g. a large visitable manor house in the countryside, or a privatly-hired garden).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:51 pm
Only one. And I'm almost done with it... another six months...
12 City of Edmonton Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron. All the way. The only religious things they allow changed is a turban for Sikhs.

Superior Jazz

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:26 pm
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
Muaethia
DivideByZero14
iviary

Eh... over here, anyway, most people choose ceromanies with mention of the man and woman being united in front of God etc, even if they're not religious (e.g. my parents). Dunno if it's tradition, but I suppose if you want to be married in a church it's compulsary to put up with.

You can have a non-religious service in a registary office/other random place you want to get married (e.g. a large visitable manor house in the countryside, or a privatly-hired garden).
That's pretty much how it works here too. The weddings I've been to were religious so there was mention of God at parts but you can make your own vows and control pretty much everything else that happens.

We never had chaplains or anything like that at my schools o.o

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces