Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
Emo vs Emo Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which Emo are you?
  Emotive
  Emotional
  ******** this Poll and everyone in it!
View Results

Derniere_Danse

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:47 pm
Since joining this and another "Emo" guild, I've noticed that there seems to be some confusion over what it really means to be Emo (like I have mentioned, I'm still practically a n00b). There seems to be two main types of Emo:

Emotive - Emotive Hardcore, which is a none political hardcore punk
and

Emotional - Emotional Punk, poetic in terms of heartbreak, regret and hopelessness

To help better define, from what I have heard from everyone, the musical tastes of these two different Emos are as listed for examples:

Emotive - Rites of Spring, Hot Cross, Orchid, Transistor Transistor, La Quiete, pg.99, Amanda Woodward, Envyand, and Circle Takes the Square.

Emotional - Taking Back Sunday, Silverstein, The Used, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars and My Bloody Valentine.

Not only are the two different in terms of musical choice and ideologies but behavior as well. The Modern Emo (Emotional) seems to be pre-occupied with negative feeling and, in some extreme cases, have developed a habit of cutting themselves.

Looking at this like an outsider it seems that the Emo Culture is divided up into two sub-groups that are completely different from one another.

What are your thoughts of this? Is one type of Emo better than the other? Should we give the Modern Emo a different name so they will no longer be confused with the Emotive Emos who share the 1980's scene?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:43 pm
I like you, you think like me. 3nodding

I just think people should stop argueing over what it "really" is and just accept that it's become two very diffent styles.

And another thing, with the list of bands on the guild homepage and such (which are of the emotional genre) why do the emotive emo kids come into this guild just to complain that it isn't "real" emo? This is a guild for the people who like the emotional emo bands, so why are the emotive kids coming here to tell us we suck and that we don't know the real deal? If you don't like it, don't join the guild!... seems simple enough to me...

HellMistress_Frizzy

Derniere_Danse

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:26 pm
Completely agree. Most Emo Guilds are for the Emotional Emo. But from some Emotive Emos, they feel Emotionals stole their name  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:12 pm
They did, in a way. There is a real emo, the original emo wich is Emotive Hardcore. We come into these kind of guilds to try educate people, wich normally doesn't work because people dont like to listen.  

finding emotive

Derniere_Danse

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:27 pm
finding emotive
They did, in a way. There is a real emo, the original emo wich is Emotive Hardcore. We come into these kind of guilds to try educate people, wich normally doesn't work because people dont like to listen.
Humans tend to have a vicious and ignorant nature. It seems in this situation Emotions are the Snakes and Emotives are the groundhogs.

(In the sense that Emotions are taking over and claiming the title as their own)

(Snakes kill the groundhogs and claims their burrows)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:33 am
I think the reason why people who listen to real emo get pissed at people who listen to nu-emo is for the same reason why people who listen to old school punk get pissed off at people who listen to pop punk like blink 182 or whatever - it's just seriously irritating to be associated with them.  

Remme

Archangel Izual

Eternal Rogue

1,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:40 am
finding emotive

that's because you're telling them "I'm right, you're wrong. End of story." and you have no space in your mind for compromise.

Emo is Emo. That is that.

That's why i decribe emo in a way that it involves both sides of the matter.

Emo is just music that has lyrics about any emotional situation (; any situation that pulls at your emotions: anger, depression, heartache, turmoil... whatever) and then put to a musical sound that pushes their message and presses every bit of their emotion into it.

Whether they do it in forms as Haste the Day, Dallas Green, or sometimes (my personal un-favourite) Bright Eyes, or Armor For Sleep.

It doesn't matter how "hardcore" it is that makes them "emo".
It's just a genre derived from punk. That's where they get the pressing of emotions and soul. After that emo came to be people tried stretching it through other sounds, such as Emo Hardcore/Screamo.

So stop trying to "EDUCATE" people. Just enjoy what you like about whatever bands. If you want to share your opinion on what emo is, go ahead. Don't do it in a way that says "I'm right, you're wrong."  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:44 am
Remme
I think the reason why people who listen to real emo get pissed at people who listen to nu-emo is for the same reason why people who listen to old school punk get pissed off at people who listen to pop punk like blink 182 or whatever - it's just seriously irritating to be associated with them.

(I've seen that happen...)

Only if those people are (bluntly and literally) closed-minded pricks.

Let people live how they want. People are always going to twist the image of your lifestyle into something totally horrible. So stop blaming others for ruining it. They chose their own, let them call themselves "emo" or "punk". if they're not, let them make fools of themselves. No need for the rude remarks and harsh feelings towards them.  

Archangel Izual

Eternal Rogue

1,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50

finding emotive

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:32 am
Archangel Izual
finding emotive

that's because you're telling them "I'm right, you're wrong. End of story." and you have no space in your mind for compromise.

Emo is Emo. That is that.

That's why i decribe emo in a way that it involves both sides of the matter.

Emo is just music that has lyrics about any emotional situation (; any situation that pulls at your emotions: anger, depression, heartache, turmoil... whatever) and then put to a musical sound that pushes their message and presses every bit of their emotion into it.

Whether they do it in forms as Haste the Day, Dallas Green, or sometimes (my personal un-favourite) Bright Eyes, or Armor For Sleep.

It doesn't matter how "hardcore" it is that makes them "emo".
It's just a genre derived from punk. That's where they get the pressing of emotions and soul. After that emo came to be people tried stretching it through other sounds, such as Emo Hardcore/Screamo.

So stop trying to "EDUCATE" people. Just enjoy what you like about whatever bands. If you want to share your opinion on what emo is, go ahead. Don't do it in a way that says "I'm right, you're wrong."

Accepting this new emo genre to be level with the original is as bad as if I was to accept country to be emo, it has alot of the new emo characteristics. But country has absolutely nothing to do with emo, and what you call emo now has next to nothing either, if the general percent was close enough I would have reason to accept it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:51 pm
"Emotional" emo is... just... bad. I mean it's fed to you by mainstream media. "Emotive" emo is what you have to look for. It has the genuine characteristics.

Idk. I don't have enough energy to explain.

FalseDiagnosis

m a c a b r e X

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:21 pm
wh0a. B0o.? gonk  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:28 pm
Derniere_Danse
finding emotive
Humans tend to have a vicious and ignorant nature. It seems in this situation Emotions are the Snakes and Emotives are the groundhogs.

(In the sense that Emotions are taking over and claiming the title as their own)

(Snakes kill the groundhogs and claims their burrows)

Woah.
Snakes killing groundhogs? CAN I SAY SWEET?

WICKED AWESOME SWEET.

serisouly though, I hate to interupt.
Carry on.  

`Bebe`

CHOKETRENDKILL

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:42 pm
i like your opinion  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:16 pm
Remme

hmm i've got friends that listen to old school punk, and pop punk, and i do too (along with emo too) i can't really give myself one specific lable

example (i guess):
my two most favorite bands in the whole entire world, are, the ramones, and from first to last  

-Fueled.By.Ramen-

finding emotive

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:55 pm
-Fueled.By.Ramen-
Remme

hmm i've got friends that listen to old school punk, and pop punk, and i do too (along with emo too) i can't really give myself one specific lable

example (i guess):
my two most favorite bands in the whole entire world, are, the ramones, and from first to last

It would make more sense if FFTL was emo or punk.  
The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games