Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"doomsday" and other silly things Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

6/6/6 ?
  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAha
View Results

xorflex

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:27 pm
I have read several threads on the extended discussion/religion and morality in the main gaia forums which say that the end of the world will occur on june 6th of this year, because the date will be 6/6/6 (which also happens to be my sister's birthday but thats besides the point)
Personaly, I can't wait until june sixth so I can laugh at them rofl  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:49 pm
Psh, I'm mored worried about the Mayan doomsday, or the Comet Apophis destroying us.  

TofuDreamer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:40 pm
Sometime during one of the World Wars, a group of religious people became convinced that the War was a sign that the end was near.

They sold thier belongings, started living as close to thier religion as possible, and waited for that one specific day that the thought would be the end of mankind.

That day came and went, and nothing happened. Know what they called that day? The Great Disapointment. (This is a true story BTW).

The whole end of the world thing is old. They've proclaimed the end so many times, yet nothing has happened. It is the religious's way of gaining back the attention of thier masses by proclaiming that the end may be near.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:10 pm
I saw part of a Nostradamus special on the history channel the other day. Well, I've seen different parts of the same show twice.
It was kind of interesting. I'd believe something like his end date of the world being accurate before I believed something about the numbers 6/6/6 being accurate.
6/6/6 has happened quite a few times already, so I don't see why this one should all of a sudden be the right one.

I thought, for Christianity at least but I'm not so sure on other religions, that there would be no fore-telling, no expectation, and no knowledge of when exactly any of these fun end of times events would happen?

We have a bunker in the crew subforum just in case. Mostly stocked with twinkies.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

iviary

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:09 am
c a u s t i c

We have a bunker in the crew subforum just in case. Mostly stocked with twinkies.

{{raids the bunker, and stocks the crawl-space in the pantry of her home}}

Personally, I'm celebrating "Raptor [khehh] *claws* Day" with a friend on that day, but that's.. just.. us.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:26 am
My friend went to London last summer, and in Hyde park speaker's corner (where anyone can stand up and proclaim anthing to the public if they wish), there was this mad christian group saying that the end of the world was near, because in revalations it says something about 'the countries joining together' and they think that the EU is the pre-end-of-world warning to us all.

I was like xd when she told me.

Then we went around her house and found a bible, and read the passage just to amuse ourselves with what bits could mean what mrgreen

Muaethia

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:01 pm
I'm never sure what people are talking about when they say the world is going to end. Are they talking about human kind? The planet? Whole universe? Just the way people tend to go off on the metaphysical when describing the end, they're entirely lacking in details of scale.

Anyway... I find it helps to check out the etymology of the worlds commonly associated with such events. Here's a few from Webster. heart

apocalypse
Etymology: Middle English, revelation, Revelation, from Late Latin apocalypsis, from Greek apokalypsis, from apokalyptein to uncover, from apo- + kalyptein to cover -- more at HELL

hell
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old English helan to conceal, Old High German helan, Latin celare, Greek kalyptein

revelation
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Late Latin revelation-, revelatio, from Latin revelare to reveal

So clearly we have a theme of something being "uncovered" or "revealed".
Hell is normally thought of as the opposite of Heaven. But I find there's something more profound (and non-metaphysical) in the interpretation of Hell being a concealer, with the Apocalypse being it's uncovering.

Though there is the Armageddon/destruction element in the Bible, I don't see how that's different from any war or large natural disasters. Only difference here is that the disaster will bring about the truth... and we can't know what that is before it happens anyway.
Kind of like in science... you can have all these theories. But you have to experiment or otherwise see it in action to really know, no matter how logical the theory is.

Anyway, the Bible is the only one I know of that REALLY believes in the world ending. The Mayan calendar runs out, not necessarily because it's the end of the world.. but the end of an age.
Same with Nostradamus. He points out lots of disasters... but keeps going until 3770... or something like that, ne?

The Hindu calendar, which one of the oldest of all, is divided into four eras or "Yuga". Sometimes compared to the Ages of Man from Greek mythology. It's debatable... but some calendars say we're currently in the Kali Yuga (Iron Age), which is the last age, but the Kali Yuga began in 3102 BC, and is 432,000 years long. (Dates are kind of arbitrary... but for the record anyway. rolleyes )
At the end of the Yugas, Brahman (means "to expand"..can also reference the cosmic soul, if so inclined) wakes up and the universal illusion (called the Maya) is broken.

It's kind of fun to research anyway. I think the worse thing one can do is take their believe system so seriously that they can't listen to others. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:03 pm
I remeber Y2k and I was at my professor flower shop and these christians come in and order a huge amount of white flowers here is a conversation-

Christians: Hello I would like 18 dozen white roses

Professor: Why do you need so many roses?

Christians:Oh the end of the world is coming we are just going to dress in white robes for the Y2K crisis we are going to come to heaven pure in white.

Me:Well what about us?

Professer: Yeah what about us?

Christians: Oh you and the rest of the people are going to hell

*Me and my professor look at each other*

Professor: That will be $500 dollars

Christians: Here you go and may God be with you

-The next day-

Me: So what happened?

Christians: Oh God Postponed it for next time ^^

That was the weirdest event that happened to me  

Lesilrok

Phoebos

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:14 pm
Ha, ha. Silly Christians. They make me laugh. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:53 pm
Ahahaha... postponed it for next time... oh man, that's classic. Those christians, they're wacky.  

Bowmore

Muaethia

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:33 am
Bowmore
Ahahaha... postponed it for next time... oh man, that's classic. Those christians, they're wacky.

O_o yeah...

And they wonder why we point and laugh superiorly.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:45 am
Cuz we don't got the faith! scream  

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:11 pm
Apparently the marketing department of The Omen don't agree; that's the day the film's coming out.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:25 pm
DivideByZero14
Apparently the marketing department of The Omen don't agree; that's the day the film's coming out.

"The world's ending today! Come spend it in the movie theater! Free popcorn."

Are people upset about that movie too? I know some people are upset about the Da Vinci code.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Me and some buddies are totally gonna throw a Satan party to celibrate 6/6/06. We're like gonna whorship Satan and slaughter lambs and sacrafice virgins.... Not really. But most likely we're gonna get very drunk and stoned. Oh yeah and I'm suppose to go over to a friends house today to reherse 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter' By Iron Maiden which we're gonna play at the party...

HAIL SATAN!!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces