Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"The world couldn't exist if God didn't make it!" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:15 pm
I've heard this argument SO much lately.

I'll tell you why we live on this perfect world: It's the only one that a human-like creature can EXIST on to our knowledge. We sure didn't spring up on Mars!  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 am
What? I don't get the point you're trying to make.

The world isn't perfect. Far, far from it.

Muaethia

Phoebos

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:53 am
Muaethia

Technecally, it is perfect in the sense that life can and does exist here.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:20 pm
In order for humans to evolve somewhere the planet must be capable of supporting complex life forms.

In the same way that mould will only grow in places where it is possible for mold to grow.

Also, it speaks volumes of lifes ability to adapt to fit their environment.  

Redem

LleuLlawGyfes

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:06 pm
Yeah, what he's trying to say is that the reason that humans exist on planet earth is that Earth has the Goldilocks conditions not that god saw the Earth and said, I will put my creations here, because I'm that nice a guy.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:57 pm
Phoebos
Muaethia

Technecally, it is perfect in the sense that life can and does exist here.

Aye. Perfect is a rather relative term too. We assume we need all these certain things... water and carbon, mainly.. only because we have nothing else to go by.
It's like making the leap that because humans are so intelligent, all really intelligent beings look like us. Our gods and aliens are always rather humanoid, aren't they...  

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

Bowmore

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:40 pm
Is not being special really so difficult for these people to accept?  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:00 pm
Bowmore
Is not being special really so difficult for these people to accept?

Yes, exactly! scream

Theoretically, life could develop on any, and I mean absolutely any planet. For example, scientists have theorized about reproducing cloud formations inside Jupiter's atmosphere, and silicon-based lifeforms that could stand unbelievable heat and pressure, or cold and vacuum. These may be unlikely--it is doubtful the clouds could avoid being torn apart by the winds, and silicon-based life would grow, reproduce, and evolve at less than one-hundredth the speed of carbon-based life, so it probably hasn't appeared yet--but it is possible for "life", as generally defined, to exist anywhere.  

DivideByZero14

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:22 pm
Yuh, totally 4laugh

When I imagine other intelligent life forms, I think "must have opposable thumbs", but "must look REALLY cool, like a spider. I love spiders. OR SLUGS! ...Slugs with arms? @_@ Man am I getting weird ideas today xD"

Hahah.

Well, I wouldn't support the goldilocks conditions thing. o_o I mean, humans weren't PLANNED to spring up somewhere with goldilocks conditions- they just happened. And anyways, they HAVE discovered a planet with extremely similar conditions to earth in this other solar system I forgot about. (But it's pretty far.) 'Nyways we might have to start to plan on moving planets or something sooner because we're still REALLY far from travelling from one solar system to another (like, at least a millenium, I'd say) and according to statistics and the stuff everyone knows already this planet is dying pretty fast. (Our fault, of course.)

And then we'd all die and it will be sad. D:> Well, not really, because we can't be sad if we're dead xD  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:40 am
Quote:
And then we'd all die and it will be sad. D:> Well, not really, because we can't be sad if we're dead xD

And that's why death scares the s**t out of me. sweatdrop  

Bowmore

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Bowmore
Quote:

Don't be scared. Once you're dead, you won't feel a thing. xd  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:59 pm
Dathu
Bowmore
Quote:

Don't be scared. Once you're dead, you won't feel a thing. xd

Yeah well death also scares the s**t out of ME. Because I'm kindof attached the the ability to think and feel, thank you. D:>  

Mythee

Festive Explorer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:49 am
Mythee...ever stop to think that maybe death is the ultimate paridise?

Think of it. Death is the absense of feeling, emotion, and perception. You cannot feel, you cannot think, you cannot react, and you cannot percieve.

So in theory it is a sort of heaven...because you cease to exist. You are free, and you mend into nothingness. Your body decays and becomes a part of something else...maybe a tree, or a plant.

To me Death isn't really what scares me. It is how I die...I don't want to die from some horrific murder, or feel massive pain before I pass on into nothingness.

Why do people really fear death? What is the real reason?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:57 am
As far as the other part of the discussion goes....Nothing is perfect. Perfection, just like reality is an illusion.

In order for something to be perfect, everyone who looks upon it must think of it as perfect. Ever found a perfect circle? Of course not...because some people might feel it is too small, and others might feel it is too big.

Our world is not perfect....I am sick, and tired of theists going on and on about how our world is so perfect...that is must have been created by a divine being. You cannot claim anything perfect, until you have another thing to compare it too.

Just because we haven't found a place with life on it outside our planet, does not mean it isn't there.

Absense of Technology does not mean Abesense of Possibility. It would suprise you how may Theists cannot understand that. They think that if there was life we would have found it, or it would have found us.

Personally that fact we haven't been visited proves there is intelligent life out there. What race in the right mind would want to come visit corrupt pathetics creatures like us?

Life exists in sewers, that are filled with sludge, and slime. Does that mean a sewer is a perfect place to live, since it can support life?

Sanguvixen

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:59 am
Sanguvixen
Mythee...ever stop to think that maybe death is the ultimate paridise?

Think of it. Death is the absense of feeling, emotion, and perception. You cannot feel, you cannot think, you cannot react, and you cannot percieve.

So in theory it is a sort of heaven...because you cease to exist. You are free, and you mend into nothingness. Your body decays and becomes a part of something else...maybe a tree, or a plant.

To me Death isn't really what scares me. It is how I die...I don't want to die from some horrific murder, or feel massive pain before I pass on into nothingness.

Why do people really fear death? What is the real reason?

I agree with that. I'd be more afraid of being tortured to death than the actual death. In fact, in that scenario I would probably "welcome death. A release form the pain of living." But then, I do feel where you're comming form Mythee. I'm not in any rush to end living either. That is why I try to exercise, eat right, and avoid things that will shorten my life such as smoking. But, unless throught some amazing set of circumstances I become immortal, it is inevitable, and if you don't get over your fear, you're gonna spend that last years of your life in terror.

Life's too short to waste like that, but then, you've got time.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff