Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
I'm reading the third book.. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChocolateTomato

Aged Raider

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:52 pm
And I'm afraid to even come into this guild because I may get a spoiler.. I'm sorta avoiding this place until I finish the series, then I'll end up posting like crazy.. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:50 pm
I don't think there are a whole lot of spoilers... Some, but the way the writing works... I mean, you already know the answer, right? It's been so long, I don't even remember what order stuff is introduced in...  

mcm

Morogo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:03 am
Cool, the third one definitely the best of the triology of 5.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:06 pm
Morogo
Really? The third one was actually one of my least favourites. Go figure.  

wingnut the improbable

phlipp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:47 pm
wingnut the improbable
Morogo
I agree...I don't know which one is my favourite now...but I really like Mostly Harmless...  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:36 pm
phlipp
wingnut the improbable
Morogo
I agree...I don't know which one is my favourite now...but I really like Mostly Harmless...

I didn't like that one as much, it didn't have quite the same feel to it as the first four, plus the fact I've read the first four probably nearing five or six times, and Mostly Harmless like once.
I need to track down a bunch of stuff, like that, and Dirk Gently, and the like.  

mcm

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:22 pm
The third one seemed too serious to me. All of a sudden a lot of the characters got it into their heads that they would no longer suffer fools gladly, it seemed like. They started treating Zaphod like that old high school friend who used to be fun even though he'd get you into trouble but he never went to college and you're not even going to spare him a dime now he's begging on the streets...

I'm sorry. Pardon my hyperbole. New England weather weighs on my spirits, as does school. And it's always bothered me how he makes himself look like such a right twit in Life, The Universe, and Everything, and he thereupon proceeds to vanish into some corner of the galaxy. It makes the whole thing seem less carefree.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:45 pm
Lullabee
The third one seemed too serious to me. All of a sudden a lot of the characters got it into their heads that they would no longer suffer fools gladly, it seemed like. They started treating Zaphod like that old high school friend who used to be fun even though he'd get you into trouble but he never went to college and you're not even going to spare him a dime now he's begging on the streets...

I'm sorry. Pardon my hyperbole. New England weather weighs on my spirits, as does school. And it's always bothered me how he makes himself look like such a right twit in Life, The Universe, and Everything, and he thereupon proceeds to vanish into some corner of the galaxy. It makes the whole thing seem less carefree.

Hmm... it gets more serious? I haven't read it in a while... so I can't remember.
I guess I'll have to read it again.

And I actually don't want to read the last book now, because I know what happens. crying Oh why did I have to look at that thread? Why?
I guess I should be more careful so I don't accidently look at the spoiler threads in here.

Nuxill

frogified

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:35 am
CHOCOLATE TOMATO!!!! Did not know you were in this guild.

I thought you put aside this book for Da Vinci Code (Blegh, you..).. but I guess you're reading it again?

All of the books seem impossible to distinguish. (Yay for rereading books.. I'm on Restaurant at the End of the Universe) But anyway.. this is the flying one! Fun. (This isn't really a spoiler, that was on the back cover of the book. razz )

I started reading Dirk Gently's Holistic.. something, that other book. Yeah... I checked it out of my school's library in the last few days, and the library was being a jerk about it... warning me to get it back before our days of finals, blah, blah, so I never finished. Electronic monk, hehe, I'll definitely have to finish that sometime.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:03 pm
frogified
CHOCOLATE TOMATO!!!! Did not know you were in this guild.

I thought you put aside this book for Da Vinci Code (Blegh, you..).. but I guess you're reading it again?

All of the books seem impossible to distinguish. (Yay for rereading books.. I'm on Restaurant at the End of the Universe) But anyway.. this is the flying one! Fun. (This isn't really a spoiler, that was on the back cover of the book. razz )

I started reading Dirk Gently's Holistic.. something, that other book. Yeah... I checked it out of my school's library in the last few days, and the library was being a jerk about it... warning me to get it back before our days of finals, blah, blah, so I never finished. Electronic monk, hehe, I'll definitely have to finish that sometime.

Flying. They got that wrong. He doesn't try to learn how to fly, that was Ford. Arthur does it later.

Dirk Gently's Holistic... Healing? Detective Agency? I don't know, I haven't found a copy yet...  

mcm

frogified

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:36 am
Er.. I'm confused. The book is wrong about who attempts to fly?

But anyway, yes, I think it was ... Detective Agency. It was in the same book as the Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble locating it..

Have you read any Terry Pratchett?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:40 pm
[spoilerishtypestuffinwhite]I read the back of the book, and it says 'Arthur tries to learn to fly'. It is indeed Ford who tries that, and he mentions it, they don't specifically show it. Arthur learns to fly in the middle of that one and four, I think. It alludes to him having learned it, at any rate. Again, it doesn't show specifically.[/spoilertypestuffinwhite][/nitpick]
I've read like, half the books in the Discworld series.  

mcm

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:49 am
frogified
Have you read any Terry Pratchett?
OMG YES.

I'm trying to read the Discworld series in order. I'm up to Witches Abroad at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:41 am
In response to spoiler, oh, I understand. Back of the book, okay.

In regards to Terry Pratchet: Oooh, yay. Help me, possibly. I read Going Postal, but I think I'm just missing some of the humor. Would it be better to start from the beginning of the series? (Problem is, I don't feel like committing to a particular author currently. Sounds silly, but I have an extensive reading list this summer.)

Either of you have a favorite must-read from Pratchett?  

frogified

mcm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:41 pm
Yes, it'd be good to start closer to the beginning.
Guards Guards is one of my friends favorites. I don't know about any one single one, though. More like any you can lay your hands on.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games