Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Is that a Jedi? =D Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Verax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:01 pm
I was on the official HHGttG movie site in homeroom trying to get the trailer to load this morning.

And this kid sitting next to me points to a picture of Arthur Dent and asks me-

'Is that a Jedi!?'

I nearly had a fit.

So, I was trying to explain to him what the whole concept was, and he just says-

'It seems like a Star Wars ripoff.'

gonk

Have you ever spoken to someone who just didn't get the HHGttG concept?

Have you converted anyone into HHGttG obsession?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:06 pm
i get a hell of a lot of oh my god they ripped off men in black gonk people r so damn irritating  

layzy

Electric_Tok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 pm
Verax
I was on the official HHGttG movie site in homeroom trying to get the trailer to load this morning.

'Is that a Jedi!?'

I nearly had a fit.

So, I was trying to explain to him what the whole concept was, and he just says-

gonk

eek that b*sterd. He didn't!! *faint*  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:59 pm
blaugh Ah, don't sweat it about the kid, they just didn't quite grasp what HHGG was all about. But some people are just so... ughk... that to them, anything about space is a Star Wars ripoff. xp
Example:
Historic footage of the Apollo moon landing? *affecting a valley girl sort of inflection* Like, ohmigodz! rolleyes Such a "Star Wars" ripoff. Eww. xp
(and she doesn't use Google because it's ugly and plain, too. evil )

Arthur a Jedi...yeah, right. whee Closest thing we've is Ford Prefect the ex-Pralite monk. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As for "Men in Black" ripoff... stare Riiight. Show me where in "Men in Black" the Earth gets blown up and towels are very important and Infinitely Improbable and-
And show me where in "Star Wars" there's a character who would rather slag off and have a drink than save the universe or penguins or...
I'd choose a Kill-O-Zap gun over a lightsaber any day. Remember Indiana Jones's preferred method of eliminating swordplayers? whee

In conclusion, stupid people suck. >< *wanders off into the sunset, ranting about people who don't use Google because etc. etc.*  

Yuki-Onna Reed

williamthebloody1880

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:19 am
Verax

'Is that a Jedi!?'

I nearly had a fit.

gonk

WTF? Mind you, I still have a hard time convincing folk that a) HHGG is more eagerly awaited than Episode 3 and b) thae HHGG will crush EP 3 in the box office.

As for converting people, it's not quite to obsession, but my girlfriend. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:05 am
a -JEDI-? Arther Dent........a -JEDI-?! NO...The biggest difference between Arthur and a Jedi are that Jedi's have a purpose for being in space. To Kill useless creatures that don't exist. Arther was only in space because Earth got blown to pieces, and since he had nowhere else to go and Ford was his friend for the past 15 years, he loyally followed him, while complaining about lack of tea and Earth and stuff. Also.....Arthur doesn't have the whole......'maaaaaaaaagical foooooooorce" thing.

Yeah. I've gotten that "star wars rip off" bit before. scream It wasn't a pretty sight. I took the whole 55 minute class period explaining how Arthur isn't a jedi, and that HHGttG -isn't- a star wars rip off.

I've converted no one but my sister gonk I will forever be the biggest fan of HHGttG in my family though.  

Whip It Out!

surrealharmony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:39 am
Spike_Theta
blaugh Ah, don't sweat it about the kid, they just didn't quite grasp what HHGG was all about. But some people are just so... ughk... that to them, anything about space is a Star Wars ripoff. xp
Example:
Historic footage of the Apollo moon landing? *affecting a valley girl sort of inflection* Like, ohmigodz! rolleyes Such a "Star Wars" ripoff. Eww. xp
(and she doesn't use Google because it's ugly and plain, too. evil )

Arthur a Jedi...yeah, right. whee Closest thing we've is Ford Prefect the ex-Pralite monk. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As for "Men in Black" ripoff... stare Riiight. Show me where in "Men in Black" the Earth gets blown up and towels are very important and Infinitely Improbable and-
And show me where in "Star Wars" there's a character who would rather slag off and have a drink than save the universe or penguins or...
I'd choose a Kill-O-Zap gun over a lightsaber any day. Remember Indiana Jones's preferred method of eliminating swordplayers? whee

In conclusion, stupid people suck. >< *wanders off into the sunset, ranting about people who don't use Google because etc. etc.*

i love this!!!!!! xd  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:10 am
oh HAHAHAHAHAH!!! I LOVE stupid people! They're so funny! And kids! IE: I was watching the trailer a long time ago for the Adam Sandler movie 8 crazy nights, they got to the line where he says "Next time wear a bra!" to the fat kid, who starts crying and the little guy says "He's just joking you've got very nice boobs." Which is funny in itself, then this kid next to me blurts out really loud "Mommy, what are BOOBS?!?!"

Sorry just thought I 'd share that with the rest of the class

Jedi, that's fabuolous xd  

phobia2001

uaq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 am
I was about to answer the second question before I read it!
My Friend Kyle goes around saying

"six times nine is fourty-two"
in a singing chant!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:00 am
ok i like star wars as well, but OMG no comparison between the two... they're completely different!

... Though... I was reading one of the star wars books and someone tried to order a pan galactic gargle blaster. I was like 'OMG YES!'

Of course the guy only got half-way through "blaster" before he was interrupted-- copyright laws and such.  

Marisynos

Breenok

4,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 pm
Hehe...I haven't heard anyone compare it to Star Wars, but then again I have been around my share of stupid people.

I did a presentation on HHGTTG for Business Tech and someone sat down at my computer while I was gone...he scrolled through the beginning really fast, missing the title, and read the last few, "Magrathea, how to fly,the answer, the question, the restaurant at the send of the universe..." Then he sees me come back and asks if I'm high...which I wasn't! And when we did the presentations people were to write down comments and criticism and give it to the presenter...one of mine said, "6 X 9 isn't 42..." Too bad they didn't sign it, or else I would have them converted by now. My teacher really liked it and I think that they're going to the movie!

I converted my friend Melissa and my brother. I tried to convert Corey, but he's too lazy to go to the library and I won't let my book out of my sight... My precioussss...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:39 pm
I've succesfully gotten five people to read the book, and one of them, the love of my life(a.k.a Meatless Cheeze), has become an avid fan themselves...  

Ghost Chef

Marisynos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 pm
*hugs her Ultimate Guide (the black-and-gold bound one) to her chest*

bwee....  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 pm
Saradiel
*hugs her Ultimate Guide (the black-and-gold bound one) to her chest*

bwee....
I have it too. I'm in inner turmoil. My friend Billy wants to borrow it. I wanna fully convert him. he's read the first 15 pages before, and wants to finish it. but.....I don't quite fully trust him......what should i do! to lend.......or not to lend.....that is the question  

Whip It Out!

Marisynos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:00 pm
I lent one that a friend of mine gave me (the same ultimate one) and never got it back ;_; I got this one last year for christmas  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games