Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Supernatural and Paranormal Network

Back to Guilds

A guild all about the supernatural and paranormal, allowing for open discussion for believers and sceptics alike. 

Tags: supernatural, paranormal, ghosts, psionics, magic 

Reply Witchcraft, Wicca, Magicks
The source of magic Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Jagged
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:58 am
I was have a discussion with someone that I know from school and this topic cropped up.
We were wondering what the source of apparent magic was. Does it come from within a person, from the earth, God or what?
What's your opinion on this?
o different tyes of magic come from different sources?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:39 pm
I've always been a firm believer in the fact that the energy oneself expends is the energy used to create the magic. That's why most magic doesn't work--no energy put into it.  

Nyctalopia

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:39 am
It depend an what kind of magic you are doing. You can use your own energy for small magics or glamers. Or the energy that is in the earth and air for magics that would require more energy than you can safly give up. Other types of magick, like really big works, need a gods help so the energy comes from them. One thing that is needed for all three typs of magic is the will of the practioner. With out that, magic will not work.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:31 pm
It's always been my theory that there are elemental energies in the world. I.E. the aura of plants, fire, water and all of that. When you use your mind to mentally manipulate I.E. Transport to(Conjure), change (Manipulate) Regenerate(Healing/Enhancing) these elements in these different forms then you are doing magic.  

Infinistus

Lord Jagged
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:03 pm
Nyctalopia
I've always been a firm believer in the fact that the energy oneself expends is the energy used to create the magic. That's why most magic doesn't work--no energy put into it.

How do you put energy into it then, to make it work?
Does this involve certain techniques, or just a state of mind?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:58 pm
I think the source of magic is simply the universal life force; the source of everything.

You can channel this force to do magic or use the small amount within yourself to do magic. It's all the same energy, the only difference is where you get it from.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Vixen13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:32 pm
Considering my beliefs are based on the concepts of life energy in the form of Tao and Chi, my take would be limited to those boundries. But hey, everything needs some form of boundries...

If ever I were to use something, I would pull energy from around me, make it my own, and then use it for whatever purpose I intend. This method is crutial for anything that expells energy somewhere else, otherwise I'd drain myself and that'd be bad.

So! Examining the Tao idea of energy. Tao is latent energy, it is pure and holds absolutely nothing residual. It does nothing, it's completely inactive, yet holds the universe together. Why? Because from Tao springs Chi which is life energy and causes everything to have activity. Everything including the molecules in the air. Chi and return to Tao and be purified and begin completely new and refreshed without any lingering emotions/ideas/thoughts/feeling attached to it. This happens all the time which is why it's so widely practiced to cleanse the body by dropping off old Chi and gathering new in all Oriental energy exercises.

... It makes sense to me. I could talk all day on it and how it relates to everything... But I won't. Yay for you!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:20 pm
Lord Jagged
I was have a discussion with someone that I know from school and this topic cropped up.
We were wondering what the source of apparent magic was. Does it come from within a person, from the earth, God or what?
What's your opinion on this?
o different tyes of magic come from different sources?

LOL it's kind of funny that I keep on responding to you. But you're everywhere and always have something interesting to discuss.

So magic. Or if you really want to be correct it is spelled magik (or magick sometimes). Otherwise, if you just spell it magic, you are just talking about magic acts, slight of hand stuff.

Magik is simply a tool. And like any tool it can be used for good or bad. You have a knife, you can stab someone, or you can use it to prepare that same person a nice meal.

It is sad really that humans couldn't be trusted with such a tool though...

You know how you hear about so much magik, but it is usually in the past, way way in the past. Well that is because it was. At least for humans. You can still see it today, but humans, for the most part have been cut-off from it. When they did have access to it they proved that they could not be trusted with it. They caused more damage with it than most things would care to put up with, so it was taken away.

If you are wondering how much damage humans could have caused with magik, just take a look at what humans have done with one of the lesser tools...science. Bombs, guns, wars. I don't think I have to go into details.

The funny thing is though...if other things are sufficiently pissed off enough with how humans are using science, it could be taken away from them just as magik was. But unlike magik, they'd be even more screwed over afterwards. I mean, look how much people depend on all of the technology they have. And how they have so little knowledge of how it actually works ...they'd never be ablet to recreate it!!  

Erebean

Erebean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:31 pm
I was just looking around for something else to respond to when I realized I had just barely scratched the surface on the subject of magik!!!

Going back to science and magik....
There is always more than one way to arrive at a destination, or to achieve something. Two completely different tools can be used to create to same thing in the end. For instance, using a spoon, or a knife to carve an ice sculpture. One would probably be easier to use than the other, but you can still use either one if you wanted to.

On the other hand, you could to take those same two tools, the knife and the spoon, and use them to eat ice cream. And if you were careful with the knife, you could probably end up eating the ice cream without a cut, just as you would with a spoon, though the spoon would probably be easier.

So it is with magik and science. Sometimes it is better to go with magik, others it is better to go with science.

As far as the differences between them go...science is like using a microscope....whereas magik is like using a telescope. Science looks at things up close, while magik looks at the "bigger picture".  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm
There is no firm correct spelling of Magic/Magik/Magick as the word does not originally come from a germanic language, such as English. It is either from the arabic route (sanskrit et cetera) or a latin/greek route.

As for Magic being a more powerful toll, how do you know it is more powerful? I'm guessing it is still based on a system of energy and movement of said energy, seeing as this is the basis for almost everything.

also, you will see me about a lot. I pretty much run the guild as vice-cap'n. xd  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Erebean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:44 pm
Lord Jagged
There is no firm correct spelling of Magic/Magik/Magick as the word does not originally come from a germanic language, such as English. It is either from the arabic route (sanskrit et cetera) or a latin/greek route.

As for Magic being a more powerful toll, how do you know it is more powerful? I'm guessing it is still based on a system of energy and movement of said energy, seeing as this is the basis for almost everything.

also, you will see me about a lot. I pretty much run the guild as vice-cap'n. xd

You can spell magik however you want, I don't care.

Why is magik more powerful? It's much much older and was created by things associated with the ones that created humans. Also, while it is less focused than science (the bigger picture compared to a microscopic view), that is also a reason for why it has more potential for power...it reaches out to more things.

Glad to hear that I will be seeing you a lot.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:45 pm
Magic is just THERE. Its source of power is the univese itself, everything and everywhere has power. The idea of god could possibly be a metaphore for nature and everything that exists. Most of the stuff in the bible is actually a metaphore.  

Count Von Jeb

x_Arieta_x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 am
In my opinion magic comes from god. Black magic, or witch craft is a sin and a form of worship to the Devil which is why i don't do it, even though it could work for me since most of my family were witches. I don't know where the hell magic comes from; most likly god. but in the bible it does say that angels had sex with humans. But it never said they stopped. Maybe the product of that was a child who had a sixth sence. Premintions, visions, seeing ghosts, talking to spirits, and whetever. I don't know, but wouldn't that be like magic?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 am
Erm, it does say that the Angels that did this were cast down from Heaven to join the fallen Angels, so I don't think they had much more of a chance to run off with us humans.
As for Magic from God, I've seen that crop up a few times, and seems to be strong with many users of magic.  

Lord Jagged
Captain

Witchcraft, Wicca, Magicks

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas