Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Dragon Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

curumo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:17 pm
Okay. This isn't likely to spawn much discussion, but I am uncertain as to the pronunciation of Smaug in The Hobbit. My friends keep telling me that it's like "Smog", but the key in the back of the Sil tells me that it's Smowg, like the "ow" in "sour". Like Sauron.

I've been saying it like Smowg... So have I been wrong this whole time?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:33 pm
I used to say it like "Smog," and I do like the pun in that pronounciation of the name, but I was told on the subforum long ago that it's not the proper way to say it. I guess it's more like Smawg. ((Like he's from Bawston. Gawd! Wasn't the Smawg just aweful this morning?))  

Elainya

Menegil
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 pm
"Smowg" is the correct one. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:47 pm
All the au's are pronounced ow when it comes to Sindarin. Smaug, Sauron... um... prolly more sweatdrop

But I say it like smog even though I know it's wrong.  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Thaxul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:49 pm
Smawg is how I have said it ever since I first read the blurb on the back of the Hobbit.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:12 pm
Sma-ug is how I say it neutral  

Edhellos

Imyavie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:31 pm
I say Smawg, with emphasis on the 'aw'.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:03 pm
Glorfirith Annun
All the au's are pronounced ow when it comes to Sindarin. Smaug, Sauron... um... prolly more sweatdrop

But I say it like smog even though I know it's wrong.

Same in Quenya. 3nodding

I think I'd follow the Silmarillion's key over the proclamations of a friend anyday! xd  

Rhaella

SYFFER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:32 pm
I personally find it easier and softer sounding to use the "smOg" pronounciation. I also say "SOron" instead of pronouncing it "Saouron". I think that the softer it sounds the better.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:21 pm
SYFFER
I personally find it easier and softer sounding to use the "smOg" pronounciation. I also say "SOron" instead of pronouncing it "Saouron". I think that the softer it sounds the better.

And you are a fool to do so. 3nodding  

Falathrim

Zurgi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:36 pm
Falathrim
SYFFER

Well, I used to say it like "smog" also, but then I read the pronunciation note and now pronounce it as "smowg" because that's what it said in the note on pronunciation.

I get annoyed if I hear it pronounced "Sore-on" though. "Smog" doesn't bother me that much, but for some reason hearing "Sore-on" makes me cringe.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Falathrim
SYFFER

A fool I may be but a poetic fool 3nodding . The basis of poery is to harmonize every word and sentence to create the most beautiful sound possible. How you spell a word is your choice and no other's. Am I the fool or are you?  

SYFFER

Falathrim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:36 am
SYFFER
Falathrim
SYFFER

A fool I may be but a poetic fool 3nodding . The basis of poery is to harmonize every word and sentence to create the most beautiful sound possible. How you spell a word is your choice and no other's. Am I the fool or are you?

Et iz? Whow. Dat iz zo kool. Ey din't no Ey cud spel uh wud howevah Ey wunted two! Day iz liek juzt zo mazing! Ey wuz rong, Zitfer, curtinley yu r nut teh ful.

Stupid...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Falathrim
SYFFER
Falathrim
SYFFER

Et iz? Whow. Dat iz zo kool. Ey din't no Ey cud spel uh wud howevah Ey wunted two! Day iz liek juzt zo mazing! Ey wuz rong, Zitfer, curtinley yu r nut teh ful.

Stupid...

He's a fool for preferring to pronounce a word differently than what is technically correct? I could say something here, Fala...

taht iz sooo funie, falatrim! u realie r verrie talntd wit fangurl tawk!

Still, to a degree you can spell words as you'd like... I'm American but I almost constantly use British spelling.  

Rhaella

Falathrim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 pm
Nandelle
Falathrim
SYFFER
Falathrim
SYFFER

Stupid...

He's a fool for preferring to pronounce a word differently than what is technically correct? I could say something here, Fala...

taht iz sooo funie, falatrim! u realie r verrie talntd wit fangurl tawk!

Still, to a degree you can spell words as you'd like... I'm American but I almost constantly use British spelling.

I say Taniquetil correctly now. I say Maedhros and Daeron and Aerin correctly now. I personally think they sound better my way, but I'm not so stupid as to think that I can twist Tolkien's world however I please.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff