Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Bad Web Design >.< Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:28 pm
Online pagebuilders, HTML editors such as Frontpage, and easy to understand online HTML tutorials have made creating a website something that almost anyone with a computer and an internet connection can do. Unfortunately, this leads to some very, very, VERY bad sites xp

I can't claim to be an expert in web design, but its really obvious to me that mouse trailers, crappy midi music, a billion animated gifs and distracting tiled image backgrounds do not look good.

What things do you see on badly designed websites that you hate? And what do you like? We can use these opnions when we get around to making a web design tutorial 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:07 pm
haha yeah...
those thigs totally suck a**...

n00bs like to think they are cool little functions ..
but they just annoy the hell out of everyone else...  

GhoSt-X

Dara Tallyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:18 pm
what the freak? I had everything all nice and typadhuoisfaisdfj typed out.
-____________-

anyways.
hmm...

large fonts, mismatching colors, tYpInG lIk DiZ, popups (ads and intentional ones---like the ones that say "Welcome to my site!" and "Are you leaving already?")

hmm.....
can't remember what else I put ^^;

haha, glad my first website wasn't bad. smile
it was black, in the center of the page... hm...... had an iframe and a picture of sakura and li from CCS ^^;
haha, go me for simplicity smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:15 pm
It's mostly text that doesn't match the bg, and colors that just don't look good. stare Others have huge images (that aren't optimized and take forever to load), tons of little blinking images, tiny, unreadable iframes . . . And what appears to be a very bad color palette.  

Kitsunehime

K. Ueno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:10 am
oooy, there's a lot of things that are bad...
-tiled bg images they didn't bother to drop the opacity on so you can't read anything
-mismatched, bright color usage and oversized fonts
-linking to an image in a gallery instead of using a thumbnail for faster loads
-the list could go on... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:28 pm
big neon writing and pages that look like theyve been done on publisher or something
a lack of a running theme or link between sections...

and spelling mistakes!! xd  

Acis

Panther Nightwind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:47 pm
backgrounds that don't work/show-up the way they are supposed to.... stare yes, i'm talking about my site(s).

-- Panther  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:43 pm
Cluttered design really makes me wonder how the person who made the site ever thought it looked good. I believe that there all ways needs to be good flow to the site. was terrible and the JavaScript that brings it back needs to banned. Images that are not optimized, oh and little applets that just get stuck somewhere in the page. Non-consistency also bites. That's my 2 cents.  

BlancoMorir

Silver Ray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:55 am
I like this thread, just in time, last day at Electronic image class, we were talking of things like this smile
Besides what other people mentioned above, I personally hate when index pages contain NOTHING (no requirements, no warnings...) but a link to an index2 page and the message of "enter"....

Also check out this : http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com and get scaaaaaaared!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:36 pm
black backgrounds with red text! (or any dark color backgrounds and any color text!) it's hard to read and tacky.  

Grammar Freak

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:44 am
Sweet Insanity
black backgrounds with red text! (or any dark color backgrounds and any color text!) it's hard to read and tacky.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the whole inverted text thing either. It can work in small doses like for headings or links, I think, but for main text its just too much.

Something that really bothers me for some reason but I don't know why... the Times New Roman font. Maybe its because its the 'default' font for most browsers (I think), but it just... really really bugs me.

Go Arial!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:25 pm
Anything that takes forever to download. What's the point of having a web site when you make it next to impossible for anyone to see it?!  

Markleaf

Suubi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:31 pm
Splash pages with no purpose - no opening of a pop up window, Flash requirement warning, not even resolutions. I don't like splash pages with just a picture and "enter" ~ but, they are a thousand times better than pages that say "no splash, just enter." Uh...that's a splash page stressed xd  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:37 am
the only times I think I ever have used a splash page was either to re-direct people after a domain change, or in a few designs where there has to be something to spawn the chromless pop-up... quite frankly, unless there is a real need for it, then I think they are pointless and annoying....  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Hizzahn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:42 pm
Pages that are so long or wide it requires a rediculous amount of scrolling bother me. The simplier the better.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff