Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
---[Movie ---SPOILERS--- ]--- Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miuco

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:51 pm
CONS:

I really didn't enjoy the romance between Arthur and Trillian. Uck.

Sometimes I wonder why such small things get changed. Like why one certain line has to be changed to a different line (when all-in-all it really doesn't change the movie).
I didn't like the fact that they made Zaphod's other head under his head... What's the point of that? In the book it said "Zaphod's left-hand head" "Zaphod's right-hand head", so I'm just hoping this change was something written in by Mr. Adams and not the guy in charge of fixing it up after his death.
Also, such a small line changed... whats the point? I wondered why they couldn't leave Arthur's world destroying comment at, "I seem to be having great difficulty with my lifestyle" (feel free to correct me, I don't have the book out or anything and I have a terrible time with memory).
Nothing that makes the movie horrible, it just makes me wonder why they made such small changes.

I must admit I really would've liked to see a movie true to book-plot, but I knew it would go in a different direction, so that's ok.

I had some speculation about Humma after seeing him in his chambers eating.
It reminded me a great great deal of Agrajag's cathedral... Did anyone else make this connection? All of the statues of various creatures... But then I realized that it wasn't possible, because Humma was Humma before and after the petunia incident.

They left it open to go from Hitchhiker's Guide to Restaurant... But I really hope they don't.

This wasn't a bad movie, I liked it... But I drove to San Francisco and back at night on Thursday so I could see it early... and I wonder if it was worth that much... Hmm... I don't know. Yes, I liked it... But I think I expected way way too much of it. I wanted it to follow the book (even though every instance of Hitchhiker's Guide has been different from the last).

Well, now that I've said my bit: Any ideas?  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:09 am
The movie was as I was expecting it to be...so I was rather satisfied with it. I wish to see it again as many times as I can before it leaves theaters.

I just wish they had tied up the loose ending with what was up with Humma and the POV gun and all that....
And while I wasn't big on the whole Arthur/Trillian thing...I understand the need to add a romantic tale within a movie.
I'm not big on the whole idea of a sequel either mainly just because Adams wouldn't be here to write it...so who knows how it would really turn out.

I liked how they stayed true with the Hitchhiker's Guide's bits in the movie. And the little animations were hilarious (I especially liked the babelfish one).
The actors did well for their parts, and the physical changes they made didn't bother me at all. I honestly don't care what race Ford is, and if Zaphod had two heads right next to one another I would have just been cringing the whole movie staring at the slight bit of unrealism in the effects used for the heads and their connection to his body.
The plot they added was interesting, and while it seemed rather random in comparison to the books...I think it was a good move to add it all in as the first book really doesn't have an exact plot.
Overall, it did have the same humor that the books do...and as long as I was laughing through the movie I was happy as could be.  

wakusei

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Miuco

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:12 am
wakusei
The movie was as I was expecting it to be...so I was rather satisfied with it. I wish to see it again as many times as I can before it leaves theaters.

My goal was to see it 42 times in theatres... but I'm not sure I want to do that now.

I just wish they had tied up the loose ending with what was up with Humma and the POV gun and all that....

I think they left it open on purpose. sad

And while I wasn't big on the whole Arthur/Trillian thing...I understand the need to add a romantic tale within a movie.
I'm not big on the whole idea of a sequel either mainly just because Adams wouldn't be here to write it...so who knows how it would really turn out.

I liked how they stayed true with the Hitchhiker's Guide's bits in the movie. And the little animations were hilarious (I especially liked the babelfish one).
The actors did well for their parts, and the physical changes they made didn't bother me at all. I honestly don't care what race Ford is, and if Zaphod had two heads right next to one another I would have just been cringing the whole movie staring at the slight bit of unrealism in the effects used for the heads and their connection to his body.

They had a much bigger budget than the BBC and we've made great advancements with movie-technology. xd

The plot they added was interesting, and while it seemed rather random in comparison to the books...I think it was a good move to add it all in as the first book really doesn't have an exact plot.
Overall, it did have the same humor that the books do...and as long as I was laughing through the movie I was happy as could be.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:10 am
Ah, well. Here I go to see it again.  

Miuco

wakusei

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:20 am
Miuco
They had a much bigger budget than the BBC and we've made great advancements with movie-technology. xd

It'd still look fake. His heads as they were looked off enough to me to still bother me in the movie. I know they can't do better, but I can't help myself... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:44 am
the fact that zaphod had 1 head and acted dumb for the second half was irritating though the vogons were done perfectly 3nodding  

layzy

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:22 pm
Yeah...Zaphod wasn't as good as he could've been. I really didn't like the whole stupid bit. Also, maybe it's just me, but Zaphod, the president of the galaxy, kind of sounded like another president one could mention.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:24 pm
I hear that having the second head under the first and the third arm in the chest was DNA's origonal idea for Zaphod But just didn't do it in the books.  

Pashunath

ECUnlimited

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:39 pm
Tinnumir
Yeah...Zaphod wasn't as good as he could've been. I really didn't like the whole stupid bit. Also, maybe it's just me, but Zaphod, the president of the galaxy, kind of sounded like another president one could mention.

I actually quite liked his sutpidness, it added a lot of comedy to it.

Arthur: How can I trust a hunch from a guy who's brain is fuled by LEMONS!  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:00 pm
Yeah too bad that lemon bit wasn't in the books.

Zaphod was always stupid. Or rather, pretended to be stupid. Or was stupid AND pretended to be stupid so you couldn't tell which was which, so it was ok. He was kind of annoying in the movie though. But it wasn't bad.

Also, now that I've seen it a second time, I must say... all of the things that bothered me the first time are EATING MY BRAIN this time and I wonder if it would've been better if the movie were never made at all. There, I said it.  

Miuco

OliverWoodsGal

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:45 pm
Personally I loved the movie. It is the closest thing I've seen to the book...considering I'm always picking things out. Like the sperm whale part, it was great, but I would say it word for word while they were doing it and mention all the changes...and I did the same thing with the cause and affect thing at the end of the movie. It was a hilarious movie and I'm getting it when it comes out on DVD and the soundtrack.
I wish they would have actually made a description for the uses of a towel, they made it seem important, but I would have preferred it in there.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:20 pm
OliverWoodsGal
Personally I loved the movie. It is the closest thing I've seen to the book...considering I'm always picking things out. Like the sperm whale part, it was great, but I would say it word for word while they were doing it and mention all the changes...and I did the same thing with the cause and affect thing at the end of the movie. It was a hilarious movie and I'm getting it when it comes out on DVD and the soundtrack.
I wish they would have actually made a description for the uses of a towel, they made it seem important, but I would have preferred it in there.

Yes, and they never explained what a frood was...and did they use the word Zarquon? I know they used Belgium and zarkin, but not Zarquon...anyways, I loved it. I missed the Mr. Prosses getting tricked, but the whale, petunias, and Guide bits. The Guide bits were done perfectly. Word for word.

Also, I enjoyed Humma Kavula...he seemed interesting.

I absolutely loved the Sperm Whale bit, and I also loved the PoV gun in Marvin's hands...10/10!  

dudebro711

wakusei

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:27 pm
Sitting Boi
Yes, and they never explained what a frood was...and did they use the word Zarquon? I know they used Belgium and zarkin, but not Zarquon...anyways, I loved it. I missed the Mr. Prosses getting tricked, but the whale, petunias, and Guide bits. The Guide bits were done perfectly. Word for word.

I absolutely loved the Sperm Whale bit, and I also loved the PoV gun in Marvin's hands...10/10!

I think people can get the point in the verbal context it's used in...so there really wasn't much reason to explain it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:47 pm
Sitting Boi
OliverWoodsGal

I'm pretty sure they said Zarquon.. when Zaphod got hit in the face with one of those idea fly swattery things (did they have an actual name?! xd ) I think he said "Zarquon! What was that?!"  

circuit sparks

Miuco

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:25 am
OliverWoodsGal
It is the closest thing I've seen to the book...

Are you kidding? The BBC miniseries, although it had a horrible budget, is almost exact.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games