Welcome to Gaia! ::

STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND (why aren't we cannibals.)

Back to Guilds

Reply General Discussion
books Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:05 pm
I am currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

(more later)

Discuss books.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:07 pm
Currently reading: The Past Through Tomorrow (anthology). I'm in the middle of a bunch of other books as well, but I haven't looked at them recently, so they don't count.

Recently finished: Pride and Prejudice (bad edition), schoolbooks.

Books that I want to read: an account of the Spanish civil war that Orwell wrote.

to be edited in the morning  

Aeaea
Crew

cariboo
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:31 pm
flowers for algernon. one of my favourites.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:36 am
I was reading the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Knowledge when I was 8 until my teachers told me to get a real book. I'm learning more in an encyclopedia than some piece of fictional ideas. I don't pay attention in class all that much, I just know the stuff already in my far superior left brain (my right brain is still not that great).  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 pm
rand is stupid

well ok, maybe just russain

what russian suffered the rise of the bolsheviks and didn't develop a few personality disorders--at the least--in the process?

the selfish are the most needy, that's my motto  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 pm
One who is selfish needs to be taught his lesson naturally, and be done unto as he does unto others. OMGG I'm atheist! But that would lead to a perfect world, but without chaos there is no order, thus leading to chaos. Reality is such a cycle, I looked at the big bang theory and how that in turn leads to a cycle of many big bangs. Though every time things turn out slightly different. You really need to look into the big bang theory to understand it, and you need to know a little about basic chemistry and how nuclear fusion works to be able to do some improvising on the theory. I still have to figure out my theory of how everything happened but creationism is so illogical and so last few millenias. Now why did I start talking about this in a books thread? Sorry my former brigadiers, I'll try to stay on topic. That was just showing you a neural web of mine.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:10 pm
I'm not so sure about the big bang theory. Sure, I'm pretty science-minded, and I guess I'm supposed to be an atheist or something, but maen... It's the same with a lot of scientific theories, actually. You could ask many of the same logic questions about the big bang.

It's interesting to read Rand, because you can see what the rise of communism does to the intellectual mind. Her books might seem like they make "no ********' sense" (says a friend I've seen in real life but contacted me through the internet for some reason isn't that how it always goes with me!!!!!), but that's just how she processes her brand of reality. It can be annoying when she seems to preach it like her beliefs are the one true faith, but it's still pretty good.

When I go into entirely incorrect grammar mode, it's safe to assume I'm being frivolous.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:02 am
I haven't found many theories. Ehh, well, I'm glad creationism is out of the question. If anyone payed a speck of attention they'd notice evolution happening right before their very eyes.
Hmm, I don't always enjoy people who put their beliefs down as the absolute truth, especially if it has to do with god sending me to hell. I'm atheist, everyone who believes in hell thinks I'm going there.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:28 pm
Most of the whole not believing in evolution thing is simply ignorance. The only difficult part is the past; there are some things that I can't help but to question. I "converted" three and a half of my friends to evolution (jan stev keth). The half is Adam MacSnausages, whom I had entirely convinced before his conditioning took over and he retaliated with, "no! That's just not how things are!" (they said the devil would be attractive)

I don't call myself an atheist. I'm a remote observer of all religions. wow thats cool dobs
(mostly for the purpose of unbiased accuracy)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:44 pm
I can see, many people are at some point observers.
So he was totally convinced but then he just rejected it?! Ignorancy is a sheild that cannot be grabbed without the spikes of reality piercing through the defensive. He most likely went to church the day before he stated that. Unless he doesn't do church, then I have no idea what came over him to shun reality.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Aeaea
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:59 pm
ghshshsh

just wanted to get that out there  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 pm
ok megabat whatever you say

evolution - the tool by which god creates new animals and species (maybe)

well why not question

it is possible to be christian + still believe in evolution and reality, i think

Well, snausages isn't really a normal guy, I suppose. He used to hit me as hard as he could with the bass drum mallet (the big one) when I poked him in the side with my drumsticks; he subsquently was locked in the closet by the members of the percussion section for the rest of the rehersal.

(permanent observer)
(best option for me i think)  

Dobbs
Captain

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 am
Why is his last name the name of a dog snack?

Yeah, I guess that thought of evolution could help people preserve their christianity and still believe in evolution. I guess the bible just says that doesn't happen.

Hmm, well, christians can accept reality until the point of death I think.

Permanent observer, eh? Well, you get a lot of culture out of that I'm sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:49 pm
yeah mork from ork that's what i thought ):

Dobbs has a tendency to use words (or almost-words) that have the same general feel/the same initial letter in place of the actual name/word. In this case, Snausages = Smith.

That's pretty much how my family reasons it out.

And really religion's mostly around so people get a nice set of morals all picked out for them with no thinking required on their part, and so the prospect of death isn't so depressing. Or because they have trufaith, something I can't really comprehend at this point.  

Aeaea
Crew

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 am
Yes, profits are the ones who do the thinking. I have heard from my fellow atheists that Jesus was merely considered a profit and yes some guy named jesus was born, but by some person who didn't have a mate?

Pshhhaw, just a bunch of general BS the monks added in to make it sound all amazing.

It's even more amazing how people who say they are in a certain religion don't even follow the rules of the religion.

A fellow gaian atheist was going to a public school and one day her teacher (this was a guy) said that atheists are confused individuals who are scared of the world so they withdraw into atheism. Well this atheist wasn't have about that remark, so she told him to go ******** himself. I still have no idea how these people have true faith in these things.

A teacher who bashes in a public school is a pretty stupid one.

How do I have all these atheist gaian friends? An atheist guild where we can talk without getting preached to  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff