Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
OK soo what the hell is emo then? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

are you emotional..
  way emotional
  nay emotional
View Results

cheese princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:49 am
ok im so totally confussed i have been im about 7 fourms and all of them say different things that emos are..

for example...
emo is all about labeling people.. v.s.. labels are for cans of soup, not people.
also.
emo isnt just about the music and fasion.. v.s.. you cant be emo if you dont wear tight black jeans and listen to emo bands.

It confusses me when people say that bands are emo, when i dont think they are, Like MCR, i dont think they're emo when everyone is telling me they are.

so can anyone please help me by telling me what emo really is and not just the classic steriotype of emo is emotionaly hardcore.

personally i think emo is a state of mind where you reliese your feelings instead of keeping them bottled up inside, as for the music different people like different music and same goes with fashion eveyone has different taste.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:08 am
I'm still confused about the whole thing but what I go by, is that I listen to the music I like, dress how I like and let my emotions be shown instead of putting on a fake happy face.  

Hugsei

Greendasha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:44 am
hun you dont ask people WHAT emo is because its described differently by everyone *nods*
Emo is a slang term used to describe a range of fashion styles and attitudes somewhat affiliated with emo music and its related scenes.
As an adjective, emo can describe a style of fashion or music; or a general state of unhappiness, loneliness, or melancholy (as in "to feel emo").
Emo is also used as a noun, often pejoratively, to identify a member of the "emo scene" or someone viewed as fitting the "emo" stereotype. *nods again*  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 am
Quote:
personally i think emo is a state of mind where you reliese your feelings instead of keeping them bottled up inside, as for the music different people like different music and same goes with fashion eveyone has different taste.

!cut-your-wrists!

I agree.
And I don't think MCR is exactly "emo".
I think their rock.
And they make really good music.
So what if there not emo?
They're good at what they do and they make great music.
Who the hell really cares if they're emo or not?

!support-the-emo-kids!

`Disenchanted

Love.From.Hate

5,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:24 am
Hidden Wind Runner
I'm still confused about the whole thing but what I go by, is that I listen to the music I like, dress how I like and let my emotions be shown instead of putting on a fake happy face.

^ What that person said.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:17 pm
I don't really care for a deffinition.  

Brianface

cheese princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:01 pm
IndieSorrel
Quote:

!cut-your-wrists!

I agree.
And I don't think MCR is exactly "emo".
I think their rock.
And they make really good music.
So what if there not emo?
They're good at what they do and they make great music.
Who the hell really cares if they're emo or not?

!support-the-emo-kids!

i never said that i cared that MCR arent emo, man dont get so upset about it, it was part of my example ok. Didnt mean to upset you in anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 am
emo IS a state of mind...

the term started with punk rock bands that didn't write about polotics or random stuff (like the stuff the ramones did) and who started to write about how they feel...

the term DOES referr to the music, but everyone interperates "emo" differently... like for me "emo" is what i'm feeling when i only want to be around my 4 closest friends, and when i'm extremely lethargic and i end up listening to the darker music... like when i listen to the cure a lot or when i'm listenening to the LYRICS more than to the song...

because depending on what you're listening to anything can be emo...

for example:

the song reinventing the wheel to run myself over, by fall out boy would appear to be an emo song b/c of the title, but it's actually just upbeat and asking a friend for help type thing....

and the lyric "and what did you expect ... a perfect child, raised by tv sets ... abandoned every mile, we never get respect ... never a fair trial, no one gives a s**t ... as long as we smile" is from a really loud and a seemingly normal un-emo song by smile empty soul

emo is about being emotive, but the term came from the music  

anike6

5,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200

Thanatology

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:17 am
Emo's Just A Label.

You are who you are.

If You Want To Be Labeld, So Be It. domokun  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:05 am
anike6

and the lyric "and what did you expect ... a perfect child, raised by tv sets ... abandoned every mile, we never get respect ... never a fair trial, no one gives a s**t ... as long as we smile" is from a really loud and a seemingly normal un-emo song by smile empty soul

Better yet, whilst we're on 90's alternative...

the Alice In Chains song "Am I Inside" has a chorus that people would pass off as either bad poetry or emo, "Black is all I feel so this is how it feels to be free?"

-Isel-

anike6

5,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:56 am
Isel
anike6

Better yet, whilst we're on 90's alternative...

the Alice In Chains song "Am I Inside" has a chorus that people would pass off as either bad poetry or emo, "Black is all I feel so this is how it feels to be free?"

exactly my point (SES was the only example i could think of off the top of my head) anything can be emo... my god even HANSON can be emo... it's just how you look at it  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:40 pm
ya no what..forget what i said about what ''emo'' was....its a phase.....thats it  

Greendasha

[~Demonic Desires~]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:07 pm
People call me emo at times cause I do express all emotions and am not happy all the time  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:23 pm
Emo:
Emo should not have anything to do with a scene, it is a genre of music. Emo is not short for Emotional, that wouldn't make sense because all music is emotional of a sort. Emo is short for Emotive Hardcore, wich is a none political hardcore punk with more emotional lyrics from the DC Scene of the 80's.
Some emo bands are: Rites of Spring, Hot Cross, Orchid, Transistor Transistor, La Quiete, pg.99, Amanda Woodward, Envyand Circle Takes the Square.
Bands that are somehow confused with emo but are most not: Taking Back Sunday, Fall Out Boy, My Bloody Valentine, My Chemical Romance, The Used, Simple Plan, Panic! At The Disco and Matchbook Romance.  

finding emotive

[[blunt.object]]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:18 pm
here's my views on the whole thing:
there are two types of emo. emotive hardcore and emotional. emotive hardcore is the genre of music. emotional is the misunderstood, labelled,s elf abusing teen. Sadly, most people aren't even aware of the first, original one anymore...  
The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games