Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Wait, why 42? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LilaTheMoo

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 pm
I know what you're going to say, "why not 42?" I know there's no reason why it shouldn't be 42, but did DNA ever say why he picked 42 to be the answer?  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:06 pm
Douglas Adams
The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.

3nodding  

Ollaolas

squidocaster

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:51 am
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=509204
...thats why.  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:00 pm
squidocaster
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=509204
...thats why.

There are many other ways you can get 42.

For example:

(1+5) x (8+1) =/= 42, right?

But what if Deep Thought messed up on his orders of operation and used

1 + 5 x 8 + 1?  

Ollaolas

wakusei

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:48 pm
This website gives a variety of answers.

Although what Ollaolas posted is the true reason.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:21 am
O.o cool.....  

Electric_Tok

MERCURY16

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:57 pm
what is the meaning to life the universe and everything? 42. why? Idon't know. Who told you? the dolphins did. when? right before they left and said goodbye and thanks for all the fish.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:08 pm
Ollaolas
Douglas Adams
The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.

3nodding
3nodding  

Daska

HotSoupBurns

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:30 pm
Douglas Adams

I feel so complete now lol  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:50 am
How different would the world be if Douglas Adams had selected, for instance, 45, I wonder.  

Little Miss Eihwaz

Lupe_Oceana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:20 am
Well, sometimes I do wish it was 29... this won't make much sense to you guys because it's a massive in-joke between me and my friends involving a T-shirt, a video camera, and my brother's ability to do funny voices. The end result is that the number 29 is now incredibly hilarious.

But 42 is really the perfect funny number. Because certain numbers... usually ones that end in "0" or "5" just aren't funny for some reason.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:18 am
I think it's entertaining that the actual "Ultimate Question to the Life the Universe and Everything" was mentioned regularly in the books (i.e. "Pick a number")  

Zoutout

Beka_Valentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:38 pm
[~Voodoo Child~]
How different would the world be if Douglas Adams had selected, for instance, 45, I wonder.
Well, the actual question of Life, the Universe, and Everything would also be different. Or maybe it wouldn't. After all, the question Arthur figured out by a rather, shall we say, unscientific method was probably incorrect. When you multiply six by nine, you don't get forty-two. So maybe if the question is completely random, it would still be the same if the answer were changed. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:50 pm
It wouldn't sound as good with another number anyway. 42 kind of rolls off the tounge quite easily.  

UltraF

Achates

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:22 am
What if, it all doesn't make any sense at all.
Considering that Douglas Adams was professing atheist.
Perhaps he does a practical joke with gods, the universum and everything. wink

(I hope that sentences make sense, my english is worsening.)  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games