The Martial Arts of Tekken Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm
As a lot of you may know, Tekken has a huge variety of the Martial Arts and the authenticity of the Martial Arts in real life. A lot of them are takes on real-life Martial Arts, while others are variations and combinations of other arts, while others may also be just plain unorthodox.
Styles like Olympic Tae Kwon Do, Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and Muay Thai are shown in a very realistic and authentic way.
Meanwhile, styles such as Mishima-Ryu Karate and Kazama-Ryo Ancient Martial Arts are obvious takes on various forms of Karate (mostly Kyokushinkai) and various forms of Aikido (mostly Kobujutsu).
And there are ofcoarse other fighters that have styles that aren't too true to its original style (Paul Phoenix's Judo-based style or Marduk's ValeTudo/MMA) or unusual stances for their style (Ganryu's sit stance despite the fact that in Sumo that no Sumo Wrestler may touch the floor)

I really don't know the whole point into this thread other than just a discussion in the martial arts in Tekken. I guess you could put in your knowledge about the actual martial arts that are shown in Tekken and discuss about them I guess. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:39 pm
..I used to practice Mishima arts in the woods of my school...
>.>;;

Action Bawstard

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:15 pm
Real Styles of Martial Arts depicted in Tekken
Karate (Kyokushinkai) - Jin Kazama
Tae Kwon Do (Olympic ITF) - Hwoarang
Professional Wrestling - King, Armor King
Muay Thai - Bruce Irvin
Tae Kwon Do (Moo-Duk Kwan) - Baek Doo-San
Chinese Kenpo (Quan Fa) - Feng Wei
Kenpo (Kenpo Karate) - Lei Wulong
Drunken Kung Fu - Lei Wulong
Five Animal Kung Fu (Snake (She Quan), Dragon (Lung Quan), Panther (Ba Quan) Tiger (He Quan), Crane (Fujian Ba He Quan)) - Lei Wulong
Ninjutsu (Seishin-Teki Kyoyo and Taijutsu) - Raven
Sambo (Military-Combat Sambo) - Sergei Dragunov  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:15 pm
YunaChouChan
..I used to practice Mishima arts in the woods of my school...
>.>;;
... How very inappropriate.  

MoonSoo
Crew

Tekkensennin
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:28 am
eek Amazing... I love how this guy knows what he's talking about.

Teach oh mighty one! ^O^

Btw I started my karate hobby inspired by Jin ^^;;
Even though the style I'm learning is a variation of shotokan...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:23 am
I've never done any martial arts but I wish I could sweatdrop sad  

Shadow__Dweller

Pwn of Prophecy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:05 pm
MoonSoo
Real Styles of Martial Arts depicted in Tekken
Karate (Kyokushinkai) - Jin Kazama
Tae Kwon Do (Olympic ITF) - Hwoarang
Professional Wrestling (Lucha Libre) - King, Armor King
Muay Thai - Bruce Irvin
Tae Kwon Do (Moo-Duk Kwan) - Baek Doo-San
Chinese Kenpo (Quan Fa) - Feng Wei
Kenpo (Shaolin Knpo Karate) - Lei Wulong
Drunken Kung Fu - Lei Wulong
Fuve Animal Kung Fu (Snake (She Quan), Dragon (Lung Quan), Panther (Ba Quan) Tiger (He Quan), Crane (Fujian Ba He Quan)) - Lei Wulong
Ninjutsu (Seishin-teki kyōyō and Taijutsu) - Raven
Jeet Kune Do - Lee Chaolan
Jeet Kune Do (Jun Fan) - Marshall Law, Forrest Law

And Eddy? Capoeira is a very real fighting style.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:12 pm
Pwn of Prophecy
A few of Eddy's moves are greatly inspired by gymnastics and breakdancing; not Capoeira moves (most notebly the Flare, a move where you continuously rotate your hip with your legs extended using the support of your arms ([3, 4]))
I'll add Christie and Eddy's Capoeira to the styles of martial arts with different variations.  

MoonSoo
Crew

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:13 pm
Tekkensennin
Even though the style I'm learning is a variation of shotokan...
Well, you're one step closer to using Mishima-Ryu.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 pm
MoonSoo
Pwn of Prophecy
A few of Eddy's moves are greatly inspired by gymnastics and breakdancing; not Capoeira moves (most notebly the Flare, a move where you continuously rotate your hip with your legs extended using the support of your arms ([3, 4]))
I'll add Christie and Eddy's Capoeira to the styles of martial arts with different variations.

eek

Dude...Did you by chance shove the Wikipedia archives into your brain somehow? xd  

Pwn of Prophecy

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:54 pm
Varied Martial Arts depicted in Tekken
Mishima-Ryu Karate - Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi Mishima, Jin Kazama (T3 & TTT, being a variation of Mishima-Ryu Karate and Kazama-Ryu Kobujutsu)
Based on: Kyokushin Karate, Goju-Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate
While Mishima-Ryu is based off of numerous styles of Okinawa Karate, Mishima-Ryu is most heavily based on Kyokushin Karate. For more information on Kyokushin Karate, Jin's style of Karate is Kyokushinkai.

Kazama-Ryu Kobujutsu - Jun Kazama, Asuka Kazama, Jin Kazama (T3 & TTT, being a variation of Mishima-Ryu Karate and Kazama-Ryu Kobujutsu)
Based on: Aikido, Aiki-Jujitsu
While Kobujutsu generally refers to any ancient Japanese Martial Art, Kazama-Ryu heavily depicts the use of Aikido and Aiki-Jujitsu, along with numerous strikes, where as Aikido and Aiki-Jujitsu is mostly Grappling Defense

Sumo - Ganryu
The Sumo shown in Tekken depicts Ganryu the ability to perform attacks via sitting down, where as in real Sumo that Sumo Wrestlers are forbidden to touch the floor excluding their feet

Capoeira - Eddy Gordo, Christie Montiero, Tiger Jackson
The Capoeira shown in Tekken uses both Capoeira and Gymnastics, as well as breakdancing (such as the Flare and Windmill move)

Vale Tudo - Craig Marduk
Vale Tudo is mostly one's own personal way of fighting (kinda like Jeet Kune Do in a way). Despite Marduk using many numerous moves that you'd most likely never see in a MMA match, it's still anything goes.

Hakke-Ken, Hike-Ken and various forms of Chinese styles based on Hakkyoku-Ken - Ling Xiaoyu, Miharu Hirano
Based on: Wushu, Hakkyoku-Ken/Baji Quan
While most of Xiaoyu's (as well as Miharu's) moves are actually based on Wushu, which happens to be a sport of Kung Fu in China, she weilds some knowledge of Baji Quan.

Chang-Ryu Kenpo and various forms of Kung Fu (Xing Yi Quan) - Michelle Chang, Julia Chang
Based on: Chang-Ryu Kenpo, Xing Yi Quan
Xing Yi Quan is one of the three major internal Chinese martial arts (the other two being Tai Chi Chuan and Ba Gua Zhang) and is characterised by aggressive, seemingly linear movements and explosive power. They seem to be derived from the techniques of the spear wherein the body moves as a unit and created an explosive force. (Thanks to T5 Jin for the info)
Julia and Michelle use the combination arts of both Xing Yi Quan and their own personal style on Kenpo.

Kickboxing - Bryan Fury
While Bryan holds moves that are very authentic to real Kickboxing, he also holds his own type of moves, Professional Wrestling throws and before the return of Bruce, even had Muay Thai techniques.

Jeet Kune Do - Lee Chaolan, Marshall Law, Forrest Law
Jeet Kune Do, kinda like MMA in a way, is a philosophy that teaches that anyone should in a way that person feels most comfortable with, as well as what would work the most in a fight. Bruce Lee's style of Jeet Kune Do has been named Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, the style that Marshall and Forrest use, while Lee does his own style of Jeet Kune Do which combines styles of Chinese Martial Arts (mostly Wushu), Tae Kwon Do and probably French Boxing (Savate), although I'm not too sure. (Thanks to Goddess Kazama for reminding me to make this change from real to varied)

Koppo and Aikido - Nina Williams, Anna Williams
Koppo literally means Bone Method or Bone Breaking and Aikido is a joint locking and body manipulating martial art. Anna and Nina apparantly combine these two martial arts, as well as numerous Aikido type of hand strikes (although kicking as far as I know is not apart of Aikido's training).

Integrated Arts based on Judo - Paul Phoenix
Despite Judo being a grappling only style and forbidding any strikes in almost all types of competition (although strikes are taught within Judo), Paul uses many numerous strikes. A lot of those strikes seem to be based off of a type of Karate (although I'm not too sure which style), but Paul does use a few Judo throws including Seoi Nage, Osoto Gari, Tomoe Nage, etc. as well as Paul having the submission techniques Juji Gatame and Hadaka Jime.

Manji Ninjitsu - Yoshimitsu
This is probably the most fictionalized style there is in Tekken (I guess not including animals). Yoshimitsu uses many Ninjitsu attacks that you'd only see in fiction and many that are... well... weird...

(will add more later)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:55 pm
Pwn of Prophecy
MoonSoo
Pwn of Prophecy

eek

Dude...Did you by chance shove the Wikipedia archives into your brain somehow? xd
No. A friend of mine is a practitioner of Capoeira and told me that moves like the handstand aren't apart of Capoeira, telling me that a lot of Eddy's and Christie's moves are apart of Gymnastics.

That and the fact that even though I do go to Wiki often, a lot of info there is just a bunch of crap (someone even wrote that Marduk does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for Christ's Sake!)  

MoonSoo
Crew

Tekkensennin
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:37 am
I should start a MoonSoo fan guild... I love this guy... eek  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:38 am
Tekkensennin
I should start a MoonSoo fan guild... I love this guy... eek
*pulls out random service booth* Alright then. *takes off shirt* Let's do this.  

MoonSoo
Crew

Pwn of Prophecy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:18 am
MoonSoo
Pwn of Prophecy
MoonSoo
Pwn of Prophecy

eek

No. A friend of mine is a practitioner of Capoeira and told me that moves like the handstand aren't apart of Capoeira, telling me that a lot of Eddy's and Christie's moves are apart of Gymnastics.

That and the fact that even though I do go to Wiki often, a lot of info there is just a bunch of crap (someone even wrote that Marduk does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for Christ's Sake!)

O.o? Jiu-Jitsu?! Dude...Not even idiocy works for that...I mean, his story even talks about his fighting style..  
The Tekken Force

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff