Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Why pronounce it like THAT?? :O Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oh no! It's Prince...
  Diamond and Sapphire!
  Demando and Saffiel!
  Demand and Sapphiru!
  They're both cool! Don't care what you call 'em!
  Pokemon Sapphire? What? :P
  I don't really care.
View Results

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:23 pm
I notice that some people like to pronounce english-based character names with a Japanese accent.
For instance:
Prince Diamond is sometimes called "Demando". Or even worse, "Demand"
Sapphire is called "Safiel" or "Sapphiru"
Emerald is "Esmuraude"
Jedite is "Jedaiteou"
...and etcetera.

(Nephrite became "Nephlyte" in the english translation. Thanks for the info, Luamervara!)

However as I said, these names are as far as I know, english words. I know that they're pronounced "Demando" or "Esmeraude" in the Japanese, but then why do some English-speaking fans pronounce it that way? It's an english name, it's okay to pronounce it and type it as such! Personally (and not to be mean, but) to me it makes them sound silly.
(Although I must admit "Sapphiru" does sound really cute!)

I'm not saying "You can't pronounce it that way", and it's not like I'm going to make a big deal out of it... I just want to know why.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:29 pm
I personally dont do that. For example I just use Prince Diamond and not anything else. I've seen Demando before though. Maybe people use it that way so they could make it seem a little like the original but still have a unique way to say it. I have never seen Jedites name spelt Jedaiteou, that's a first.  

Magical-Medli

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:05 pm
DebraStar
I personally dont do that. For example I just use Prince Diamond and not anything else. I've seen Demando before though. Maybe people use it that way so they could make it seem a little like the original but still have a unique way to say it. I have never seen Jedites name spelt Jedaiteou, that's a first.

I think I've only seen it spelled like that once or twice ever.
The most common different name spelling I've seen so far is probably "Nephrite" which isn't so bad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 pm
Read the manga. Their names are written in katakana and the katakana spell it out that way. 3nodding  

Syndrama

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:25 pm
For Nephrite it's the correct spelling because he's named after the Jade (Nephrite) while Jadeite is just simply Jadeite.

The way things are spelled is how it's pronounced in Japanese.

The 'R' in Japanese sounds like an 'l' or a weird 'b' sound.

That's how you get Nephlyte
Each and nearly all the villians in Sailormoon world are named after minirals and stones.

For instance, there are several spellings of 'Queen Nephrenia' but it sounds like Nehellenia and is spelled that way at times.

Saffiru would be the equeal of Sapphire. Again it's the 'r' with the 'l' sound.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:30 pm
~Alechsa~
Read the manga. Their names are written in katakana and the katakana spell it out that way. 3nodding

I realize that. But some names are still english words. So why not just pronounce it in english?
My name is Angela. The Japanese name pronounciation would be 'Anjira'. But my name is still really Angela, regardless of how it's spelled/pronounced in Japanese. Same as with Sapphire vs. Sapphiru or Safiel.

Rabbit-eyes

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Luamervara
For Nephrite it's the correct spelling because he's named after the Jade (Nephrite) while Jadeite is just simply Jadeite.

The way things are spelled is how it's pronounced in Japanese.

The 'R' in Japanese sounds like an 'l' or a weird 'b' sound.

That's how you get Nephlyte
Each and nearly all the villians in Sailormoon world are named after minirals and stones.

For instance, there are several spellings of 'Queen Nephrenia' but it sounds like Nehellenia and is spelled that way at times.

Saffiru would be the equeal of Sapphire. Again it's the 'r' with the 'l' sound.

Yeah, I know that's how it's pronounced in Japanese. I just don't know why english fans use the Japanese pronounciations for english names...
But I didn't know that the stone is actually called 'Nephrite', I thought it was 'Nephlyte', so that you for telling me. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:34 pm
Well it's even in the third volume when Mamoru was part of the Dark Kingdom under the guise of Endou.

Reika explains it to him.

Reika says: There are two types of Jade: Jadeite(hard) and Nephrite(soft). There are many colors of Jadeite. It's called true jade. Nephrite is a dark green stone.
This pink Spodumene is called Kunzite (also called Malacite)

This link here shows you the two types of jade on the side:

http://www.which-diamonds.com/jade.html

This would be a Kunzite: http://www.dazzme.com/?gem=Kunzite

this would be a Beryl: http://www.dazzme.com/?gem=Beryl

Zoisite: http://www.minedirect.com/EnlargedPages/FacetCabbingRough/Zoisite/Zoisite-2.html

And we all know what Rubies, Sapphires Diamonds and Emeralds are.

Naoko also used Fluroite and Dandurite as well to the element list.

Dandurite actually looks like this:
http://allnative.bizland.com/Danburite.jpg

o.o Nehellenia/Nephrina is also a mineral and the name of a type of frog (really pretty)

but...back to the subject.

<<;; The reason why English and whathave you nation, use it is because it makes them feel like they're doing it right or being true to the name and such.

Nephrite's name came as Nephlyte in the dub American version which they butchered the names of the Four Heavenly kings. Save fore Zoisite (though they did a gender bender.)

<<;; but that's only my guess. I do a K.I.S.S- Keep It Simply Stupid.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Thank you, that was very informative! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:07 pm
I don’t really like the U.S. dub so I stay as clear from the English names as possible.

I use Demando and Saffir because that’s, in my opinion closer to the Japanese version. It’s no different than using Usagi, Makoto, and Minako instead of Serena, Lita, and Mina. Since I can’t stand the English names and since even typing them anymore makes me wince, I try to use the Japanese names as much as possible.

Just a matter of personal preference, I think the foreign names are more attractive sounding and I’m sure that many other people do too.  

A Kiss of Starlight

Sparkly Star

kawaiibunny3

8,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:15 pm
Rabbit-eyes
~Alechsa~

I realize that. But some names are still english words. So why not just pronounce it in english?
My name is Angela. The Japanese name pronounciation would be 'Anjira'. But my name is still really Angela, regardless of how it's spelled/pronounced in Japanese. Same as with Sapphire vs. Sapphiru or Safiel.

hey, Angela is MY name too xd sorry...just had to make that comment

anyway, i always used Jadite, Nephrite, Zoicite, Kunzite, just because that's the way u say it, they're named after those stones

for the black moon clan however, i belive that Naoko-san based their names off of famous stones (ruby, emerald, diamond, etc) but changed them a little. (just because no one argues about Rubeus' name and it'd be a little strange to change up one name but leave the others)

This is how i say it: Esmaraudo, Safir, and Dimando just because that's what it sounds like they're saying. They don't SOUND like they're saying "Emerald" so that's why i chose to say it the other way.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:52 pm
kawaiibunny3
Rabbit-eyes
~Alechsa~

hey, Angela is MY name too xd sorry...just had to make that comment

anyway, i always used Jadite, Nephrite, Zoicite, Kunzite, just because that's the way u say it, they're named after those stones

for the black moon clan however, i belive that Naoko-san based their names off of famous stones (ruby, emerald, diamond, etc) but changed them a little. (just because no one argues about Rubeus' name and it'd be a little strange to change up one name but leave the others)

This is how i say it: Esmaraudo, Safir, and Dimando just because that's what it sounds like they're saying. They don't SOUND like they're saying "Emerald" so that's why i chose to say it the other way.

That's a good point about the names purposely being changed. Maybe you're right. As you said, Rubeus is different from just "Ruby", so maybe Sapphire, Emerald and Diamond are supposed to be different too...

So apparently we're both Angelas who like rabbits and Sailor Moon? That's nifty! xd

Rabbit-eyes

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:00 pm
Hime_Tsuki
I don’t really like the U.S. dub so I stay as clear from the English names as possible.

I use Demando and Saffir because that’s, in my opinion closer to the Japanese version. It’s no different than using Usagi, Makoto, and Minako instead of Serena, Lita, and Mina. Since I can’t stand the English names and since even typing them anymore makes me wince, I try to use the Japanese names as much as possible.

Just a matter of personal preference, I think the foreign names are more attractive sounding and I’m sure that many other people do too.

I don't care for the dub much either. It's not as good as the original Japanese translations, and I especially dislike the dubs since they've made Haruka and Michiru "cousins".

I usually refer to the scouts as Makoto, Minako, Rei, Ami etc. because those are their actual names. I like the Japanese names for the scouts better as well.
I'll still call Sapphire just that though, because I feel it's supposed to be Sapphire, except with the pronounciation difference between languages.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:40 am
I didn't even notice that the Japanese called Diamond "Demando" until I watched the musical when he was in that stage. I thought it was kinda nifty, ebcause, you know, he makes the "demands" hehehe...but still, I say "Diamond". It's what I heard first.

This is common in almost all anime/games. There's confusion in Hellsing about Alucard/Arucard or in Final Fantasy VII Aeris/ Aerith. Sorry to get off topic there. sweatdrop  

Gainsborough-Aerith

Darkness Cake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:39 pm
I call them both, depending who I'm talking to. For my friends who are used to Japanese pronunciations (and spellings that sound like they sound), I used Demando and Saffir. For my other friends, I used Diamond and Sapphire.

I hate the dub names, but I have to use them for one of my friends (who has yet to see the Japanese episodes). I'm not as picky about using "Serena" due to the fact they use that name since it's related to Serenity. I just hate that they call her "Princess Serena" instead of "Princess Serenity". Same with the whole "Prince Darien"/"Prince Endymion" thing...

Sailor Moon is one of the few anime's I watch that changed the names in the Dub (other than Digimon and Pokemon).  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff