Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Let's Define China Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:04 pm
Actor Gere urges EU pressure on China over Tibet

Quote:
BRUSSELS - Actor Richard Gere, campaigning for a free Tibet, on Wednesday demanded Europe match the United States in appointing a special envoy for Tibet to increase pressure on China to end its occupation of the Buddhist region.

Quote:
"If the EU also had this, obviously it would increase pressure, good pressure on China, who obviously wants to be part of the modern world, wants to be an equal player with the rest of nations," Gere told a news conference in Brussels.

Well I'll be damned, what's the "modern" world? What the hell is the "rest of nations"? America and Europe? What about Africa? Those are his f**king definitions! And an actor?! Excuse me for saying this but that deadweight of the society needs to go! scream

Edit: Anyways, after my initial outrage (yes, I hate morons who diss China, sue me stare ) Let's discuss this. How do you think China should change to be "accepted" into the "modern" world? Bah, I hate the sound of that sentence, it's as if we're begging to join the pathetic Westerners... stare (one of these days I'm gonna make them grovel at my feet...)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:04 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Darkaznstargoddess
Captain

Ruthless Genius

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:35 pm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:36 pm

Cat-Whiskers

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:19 am
Look, he's an actor, and what do actors need? Coverage. Well done. I'd bet on this being no more than a publicity stunt.

Onto the topic.. from a "westerner"'s POV, they'd want China to be nice, fluffy, 'democratic', listen to what they say, obey their trade laws, etc. And as to becoming part of the "modern world" - what is it with these people? Time doesn't move any slower in China than it does here.. sweatdrop Really, it's because they don't want to lose their grip around world economics and power, and so they see China as a threat to their superiority, and therefore want to throw as much dirt on us as possible.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:11 am
Dear Richard,

You're a great actor and everything (except for the role in "The Last Knight", that's was so shitty... stare ), but I think you should do more thinking, freeing Tibet isn't as simple as just the snap of a finger from China, there are complex political issues and such that you probably have never even considered before. And it's not like China is been some kind of a tyrant over Tibet, we're not using their people as slaves while we dwell on our rich asses, we ocnsider Tibet as part of our country and our people, so I think you should get over yourself and realise that just by knowing the Dalai Lama doens't make you president of the "Free Tibet" fan club, and I'd like to say that the Dalai Lama should get over himself as well.

So despite all that, I'll still watch your movies, provided that you don't make really bad ones anymore ("Runaway Bride", another one... stare )~

Anonymous~ 3nodding  

cold_blooded_chick

yalie5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:59 pm
cold_blooded_chick
Dear Richard,

You're a great actor and everything (except for the role in "The Last Knight", that's was so shitty... stare ), but I think you should do more thinking, freeing Tibet isn't as simple as just the snap of a finger from China, there are complex political issues and such that you probably have never even considered before. And it's not like China is been some kind of a tyrant over Tibet, we're not using their people as slaves while we dwell on our rich asses, we ocnsider Tibet as part of our country and our people, so I think you should get over yourself and realise that just by knowing the Dalai Lama doens't make you president of the "Free Tibet" fan club, and I'd like to say that the Dalai Lama should get over himself as well.

So despite all that, I'll still watch your movies, provided that you don't make really bad ones anymore ("Runaway Bride", another one... stare )~

Anonymous~ 3nodding

lol that was great. mrgreen and for the most part i agree... but i would like to know why do you think the dalai Lama should get over himself isn't he teaching us about peace and stuff like that? correct me if i'm wrong.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:29 pm
Cat-Whiskers
....as if we're begging to join the pathetic Westerners...

I see you're not the only one that subscribes to the mentality that the solution to all this is to generalize and then discriminate against groups of people. rolleyes

Speaking of which, today is June 4th! Anyone else light a candle to join the vigil to remember what happened Tiananmen Square? mrgreen  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:19 pm
tamcharles
Cat-Whiskers

I see you're not the only one that subscribes to the mentality that the solution to all this is to generalize and then discriminate against groups of people. rolleyes

Speaking of which, today is June 4th! Anyone else light a candle to join the vigil to remember what happened Tiananmen Square? mrgreen

You really think there'd be another solution to Tiananmen Square huh... stare True to that the government over reacted, but don't tell me you're naive enough to say that the students did not partially bring this upon themselvs as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:27 pm
Cat-Whiskers
tamcharles
Cat-Whiskers

You really think there'd be another solution to Tiananmen Square huh... stare True to that the government over reacted, but don't tell me you're naive enough to say that the students did not partially bring this upon themselvs as well.

I can't believe you're saying that. Even I realise Tiananmen Sq was a terrible thing. The gov took it way, way over the top - and thanks to them, now the rest of the world have this thing about China being anti-democracy and evil and nasty. Yes, they did bring it upon themselves, but only in the sense that they knew the gov would be angry and they still went - but they didn't expect to be fired upon, and they shouldn't have been.  

Niphredil Ithilmir

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:27 pm
Cat-Whiskers
tamcharles
Cat-Whiskers

A retired senior Chinese official, Li Pu said it best when he called on Beijing to vindicate the 1989 pro-democracy movement. "The students made big mistakes, but the government's military crackdown was even worse. It was extremely wrong to send troops against ordinary people,'' he said. He was also a friend to Zhao Ziyang. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:07 pm
hm... i know i shouldn't... but... well... k. Cat whisker's why are you defending the chinese government? of course there are somethings that shouldn't have been done in the past internationally... but really you get really worked up on these political issues that have obvious points that shows the flaws in the chinese government... your abundance of nationalism really does surprises me. this is just a thought... plz don't flame sweatdrop  

yalie5

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:08 pm
no... it's not that I'm defending the Chinese government, no, anything but that. I'm just pointing out different perspectives. Tiananmen Square is a shame on China, and a mistake by the government. But that does not necessarily mean everyone can just put all the blames on the government and say that the students did absolutely nothing wrong. Maybe I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but I find it that for every issue there's always two sides to it, there's never just a single side that's right or wrong, not when it's something that's an international issue.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:12 pm
I'm defending the chinese government~ 3nodding  

cold_blooded_chick

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:18 pm
cold_blooded_chick
I'm defending the chinese government~ 3nodding
And I could personally careless about the whole topic. I just like to stir things up a little bit whenever the opportunity presents itself. xd

Please continue... the conflict -- it sustains me. I'm an evil Sith lord. twisted  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff