Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Gay Marriage: Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay Marriage...you are:
  For it, it should be allowed.
  Against it: But it isn't my place to have it banned.
  Against it: I want it to be banned.
  Undecided: I'm still uncertain either way.
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:44 am
I don't know about the rest of you, but right now where I live, this whole Gay Marriage thing is a pretty hot topic.

Here is a link: http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--gaymarriagepoll1017oct17,0,6998854.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

Personally I am disgusted by the attempt to ban gay marriage, and legalize a form of discrimation.

Sometimes though I have to wonder what really is behind the idea that Gays are a threat, and they should be denied the right to marry, and that Gay Marriage is a thread to society.

I just don't get it at times. It is just a religious movement where religion is trying to force thier opinions to become law, or is it just a political game that people are playing to up thier stance?

I've seen the arguments of religious thiests, but I am interested in seeing the arguments of athiests and agnostics.

So GAU, what is your opinion on the topic of Gay Marriage?

Are you for it? Why?
Are you against it? Why?

So basically I asking you all to discuss and debate your various views on the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:14 pm
Personally, I'm for it. Why? Because you're right, saying it should be banned is a form of discrimination, and really, I don't see any way that it could harm society. Other than maybe make it okay for children to think its okay to be gay. I've heard that gay marriage would create confusion if the couple were allowed to adopt, etc. etc. Which is silly really, as long as its a loving couple there really wouldn't be any difference, I don't think. And I've heard that it would "cause a problem with taxes because if everyone were allowed to amrry then everyone would get the tax benefits of married couples." Which is just crap I think. But, whatever.

Here, in CO we're having a vote coming soon and in it there is a "domestic partnership" thing on it. Its not marriage but for long term same sex couples they get the benefits that a married couple would, such as hospital visits for family and will adjustments and stuff. Gotta go vote!  

PickleBoy

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:27 pm
PickleBoy
Personally, I'm for it. Why? Because you're right, saying it should be banned is a form of discrimination, and really, I don't see any way that it could harm society. Other than maybe make it okay for children to think its okay to be gay. I've heard that gay marriage would create confusion if the couple were allowed to adopt, etc. etc. Which is silly really, as long as its a loving couple there really wouldn't be any difference, I don't think. And I've heard that it would "cause a problem with taxes because if everyone were allowed to amrry then everyone would get the tax benefits of married couples." Which is just crap I think. But, whatever.

Here, in CO we're having a vote coming soon and in it there is a "domestic partnership" thing on it. Its not marriage but for long term same sex couples they get the benefits that a married couple would, such as hospital visits for family and will adjustments and stuff. Gotta go vote!

About the "It would make it ok for children to accept gay as Ok."

Isn't that what the world really needs? It needs for children to be taught that it is ok to be different. They need to be taught that it is ok to accept difference, and that it isn't ok to be intolerant.

You can accept and tolerate what you do not like.
For instance I do not like religion, but I've learned to accept that it will always be around in my lifetime, so I should just tolerate it.

It is the same thing with Gays/Bisexuals/Lesbians. They are not going to go away. So people who don't like it should learn to accept that it won't go away, and learn to tolerate it.

How can you preach tolerance to a child, if you are an adult that turns around and votes "Yes" on the intolerant idea of banning Gay Marriage? Kids pick up on a lot...and they learn by example. If you tell them don't smoke, and turn around and smoke yourself...they probably won't get the idea you want them to get.

I wish the people in my area were smart enough to create a Domestic Partnership thing...but unfortunately it seems they are not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 pm
I only learned recently that "civil partnerships" (much like the "domestic partnerships") are legal here in Britain. They give basically the same rights, which is good. If I end up with a woman, I want to properly 'marry' her though. I think there should be an equal status- marriage shouldn't matter about what gender you are.

I also think it should be easier for gay couples to adopt, if they wish, or have children by other means. It's complete bull that a home without a figure of both genders will have an effect on the child- single mums and dads cope, don't they?

I really don't understand why people are so stubbern about preserving the 'traditional' aspects of marriage when a lot don't follow the 'traditions' anyway! For example, loads of straight couples don't get married in churches any more. Times are changing, marriage should be for people who love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together. Period.

Muaethia

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:31 pm
Mmm hmm. If you ever want a good eye on the other side of things, ask me. Feelings toward homosexuals at ACA are pretty much summed up as paranoid, ignorant hatrid. (From a school that supposedly preaches love and acceptance)

All because of the last generation.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:11 pm
Muaethia
I only learned recently that "civil partnerships" (much like the "domestic partnerships") are legal here in Britain. They give basically the same rights, which is good. If I end up with a woman, I want to properly 'marry' her though. I think there should be an equal status- marriage shouldn't matter about what gender you are.

I also think it should be easier for gay couples to adopt, if they wish, or have children by other means. It's complete bull that a home without a figure of both genders will have an effect on the child- single mums and dads cope, don't they?

I really don't understand why people are so stubbern about preserving the 'traditional' aspects of marriage when a lot don't follow the 'traditions' anyway! For example, loads of straight couples don't get married in churches any more. Times are changing, marriage should be for people who love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together. Period.

I wish the American people would be aware of how idiotic they sometimes look to other countries.

Each state right now is wrestling with it's own take on the Gay Marriage thing. I'm just tired of the mud-slinging involved.

If a person is pro gay-marriage they are suddenly anti-religious, promote sinful things, and are going to "Ruin the Sanctionity of marriage."

It is amazing how being for tolerance somehow makes you a demon.

Around here I believe they are attempting to stop Civil Unions from being created by same sex couples.

Sanguvixen

[x] Natasha [x]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:34 am
gays rock! why shouldn't they be allowed to marry?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:46 am
[x] Natasha [x]

Why? Many people (especially thiests) think that gays getting married will ruin society somehow.

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:43 pm
Sanguvixen
[x] Natasha [x]

Why? Many people (especially thiests) think that gays getting married will ruin society somehow.

Yep. Those damned homosexuals, loving each other,living normal lives, and raising children, it's going to bring RUIN TO US ALL. D<  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:52 pm
I think it's interesting how some people are against it, but in different ways.
Some people look at marriage as something that isn't secular. For them it's not just traditionally a man and a woman, it's a religious institution. So then if gay people can 'marry' in the eyes of the law, it should at least not really be marriage. A civil union, or what ever. But then there are people who don't even want them to have any of the same rights no matter what kind of union it's called.

If two people can go and get a rushed wedding and slip of paper without any religious involvement now, then what does it matter? I think it's already such a secularized institution that religion does not matter in this case. If you personally wanted to refuse to perform the ceremony for two gay people because of your religion, then that's different. Gay marriage doesn't force religious people to change and make their religion accepting in any way.

As far as the 'but it's not good for the family' side goes, it would be very easy to make an argument about how horrible family situations are already. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to argue that gay marriage couldn't possibly make anything 'worse.' What about teen pregnancy and the quick weddings or abortions that might follow? Are the problems we have concerning marriage and family life now due to gay relationships?

I agree with muaethia. Times are changing, but it's slow.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Minty Novii

Distinct Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:01 am
I myself am 100% against banning Gay Marrige. It is just wrong to discriminate against people just because they have a different sexual preference. It really makes me think back to the days when african-americans were segrigated and treated differently. If by banning gay marrige and discriminating against gay people is allowed then wouldn't the American goverment just be putting itself into the familiar turmoil of stripping away rights?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:11 pm
Cough_Syrup
I myself am 100% against banning Gay Marrige. It is just wrong to discriminate against people just because they have a different sexual preference. It really makes me think back to the days when african-americans were segrigated and treated differently. If by banning gay marrige and discriminating against gay people is allowed then wouldn't the American goverment just be putting itself into the familiar turmoil of stripping away rights?

Who knows. Would they stop there?

If they made it illegal for gays to marry and for gays to have civil unions...who is to say they'll stop there?

After all..it is mostly the thiests who are running around doing all the flapping about how they need to preserve marriage.

Although not all Thiests are for banning Gay Marriage. I read an interesting bit in the newspaper about a bunch of priests from some different churches who got together to counter the thiests who are going around trying to ban gay marriage. That part made me feel happy inside.

We need more people like that who realize that some things shouldn't be taken too far.

Sanguvixen

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:28 pm
I'm for it. Just because some has a difforent sexual preference dosent make them that mutch difforent from anybody else. The government shouden't have the right to denie them happieness. Marrige is about love, not what sex you are. Nowdays not everybody is religious and belives all that crap about being gay is agenst god's will. If times have changed then we need to grow out of this.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:18 pm
Sanguvixen

Although not all Thiests are for banning Gay Marriage. I read an interesting bit in the newspaper about a bunch of priests from some different churches who got together to counter the thiests who are going around trying to ban gay marriage. That part made me feel happy inside.

We need more people like that who realize that some things shouldn't be taken too far.

Absolute agreement. Not all theists are awful. In fact, most are actually quite peaceful (Unless you live somewhere like I do. *cough* >.>)... It's just a moderate collection of extremeists who seem to stand out far more than the others.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:20 pm
addseale2
Sanguvixen

Absolute agreement. Not all theists are awful. In fact, most are actually quite peaceful (Unless you live somewhere like I do. *cough* >.>)... It's just a moderate collection of extremeists who seem to stand out far more than the others.

Why is it that Exteremists get the biggest fan club? They always seem to have more followers.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff