Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A Moral Dilemma Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm
I feel... utterly sick with myself right now.

I was trying to calm down a Christian girl who has recently discovered that she wasn't straight. It carried on into a bit of logical reasoning, sugar-coated for the bible-beaten mind.

I would ask you, my friends... what would you have said?

Quote:
I may not seem like one who would really know, but no. I've studied Christianity, the Bible, and many other things in my short life, and I say it isn't a sin, because it isn't God's word. Like many things in the Bible. Perhaps the first scriptures were, but after being re-written so many times, and changed in so many ways, are they still just that?

Places in the old world had differing views on homosexuality. In Greece and Rome, for example, it was perfectly fine. In other lands, it was something horrible and disgusting.

It seems that between all of this, and the fact that homoeroticism was considered to be the same as any other form of sex between strangers or unmarried couples, that something would have been changed before long.

The truth is, though... it isn't horrible. Isn't it between two individuals who truly, deeply, spiritually love one another? Isn't that a break from the vices of old, that were so desperately fought against?

Don't worry. Do as much good in your life as you can, stay loyal and true to your partner, and to God, and you will get to heaven.

Or, for the A.D.D. version, just read the last line.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:55 am
Well, I think you did a nice thing. I understand that you probably feel bad for it, but none the less, helping someone who's distraught is a good thing.

Bravo to ye.  

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:39 am
Well, i could've just said that jesus will love her not matter what, and you know... maybe made up stuff about how he (jesus) already knew she was gay before she found out and he was ok with it... or something like that.

in any case... if she was friend i'd laugh my a** off saying "ohhh man!, you're going to hell now!" and then just probably slap her silly for thinking it's "wrong" to be gay.

in any case... what did she say? is she ok now? *gasp* what will happens once she tells her parents... oh boy.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm
Lets hope she doesn't tell her parents until she herself is cool with it as well. Cause... uh, yeah. And thats really nice of you to help out someone in need. My cousin is pretty homophobic and hes really hard to get across to. I don't see why people view homosexuality as such a terrible thing. But, meh, I was never raised by a crazy.  

PickleBoy

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:53 pm
Shain Glaxy
addseale2
Shain Glaxy
addseale2
I may not seem like one who would really know, but no. I've studied Christianity, the Bible, and many other things in my short life, and I say it isn't a sin, because it isn't God's word. Like many things in the Bible. Perhaps the first scriptures were, but after being re-written so many times, and changed in so many ways, are they still just that?

Places in the old world had differing views on homosexuality. In Greece and Rome, for example, it was perfectly fine. In other lands, it was something horrible and disgusting.

It seems that between all of this, and the fact that homoeroticism was considered to be the same as any other form of sex between strangers or unmarried couples, that something would have been changed before long.

The truth is, though... it isn't horrible. Isn't it between two individuals who truly, deeply, spiritually love one another? Isn't that a break from the vices of old, that were so desperately fought against?

Don't worry. Do as much good in your life as you can, stay loyal and true to your partner, and to God, and you will see heaven.

The fact that it's accepted in some places doesnt mean it is right, but I guess your first paragraph counterattacks this fact.

Sex between couples that are not married is also a sin, is called fornication, and there's a part in the Bible were it says that no fornicator will enter the Heavens, as it also says that being gay is an abomination.

Your fourth paragraph is actually what I truly think. But what do you mean by your last sentence?

Will all the good that I do be enough to overcome the sin of being and acting upon my bisexual tendencies if it is acually a sin?

I'd really like to rephrase this... would you care so much as to lend an atheist your ear for a while?

LOL! Sorry but that sounded like what a samurai would say.

But sure, that's why I'm asking, I'll gladly hear you out.

The Bible says being gay is an abomination, becauase the Bible is wrong. It's a good book, filled with wisdom, but it's still something that man has penned. Can you really say that, whether or not those messages came from the writers or from someone else, it was not they who matched them to the words? And after so many translations, through so many opinions and ways of thinking, is it really what it once was?

The hate that people show for homosexuality is just a flaw in our culture. It's saddening, and sickening, that a few people who have the nerve to call themselves holy men have stripped the context from these mutilated verses and used them to bring such hate toward others.

You aren't sinful in your actions. This may sound like a cry of rebellion, but you sit a victim of the sins of others.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:08 am
I'd just have told her that if God wanted her to not be gay, he wouldn't have made her gay.
User Image  

Sors

Noble Hops

Big Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:36 pm
Being gay is not against the bible. It never says it in their once.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:29 pm
Will the Thrill

But all the Christans I've spoken to about the subject swears on the Bible that god thinks it's wrong. Hmmm interesting.......

cup_noodles

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:39 am
Will the Thrill

This is a true statement. Last summer (When I was going around and checking out different religions), I asked a Catholic priest where in the Bible it said that homosexuality was wrong, and he could not answer me.

He said something about how that was why Sodom and Gemorah were destroyed, but when I asked him to show me where it said that, the only thing he could come up with was the people outside of Lot's house who wanted to rape the angels.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 pm
Homosexuality actually is against the bible. Now.. bear with me.. I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN!.. But for the sake of saving myself time, I am going to talk like one for a bit.. -.-

Ok. When God created the universe, he created man and woman. He made the first relationship. The first relationship was between a man and a woman. And it is, in fact, stated in the bible that relationships are meant to be kept between one man and one woman. Please don't ask me for a reference.. I don't want to read the bible. -.-

Yes, it is against the bible. This girl is breaking her own religion. I am not trying to be mean, because I accept homosexuality. I could care less. But I have read the bible, some wonderful literature, and it does say that in there. I read the bible not for the sake of learning, but I read it because I love the stories and I love how it is written. xD

I am a freak, I know.

Yami_Ichi

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 pm
I can quote the Sodom and Gommoah [sp?] thing. That one is easy... xD And yes, it was destroyed for evil.. and it states homosexuality in there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:22 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
I feel... utterly sick with myself right now.

I was trying to calm down a Christian girl who has recently discovered that she wasn't straight. It carried on into a bit of logical reasoning, sugar-coated for the bible-beaten mind.

I would ask you, my friends... what would you have said?

Quote:

Don't worry. Do as much good in your life as you can, stay loyal and true to your partner, and to God, and you will get to heaven.

Or, for the A.D.D. version, just read the last line.

I would have told her that the Bible does not condemn homosexuality. All places, except for Leviticus, are either mistranslations or deliberate mangling of the Holy word. The ceremonial law does not apply to her and it was not condemning homosexuality but temple prostitution, which was a common practice in Egypt which they were desperately trying to differentiate themselves from.  

Aino Ailill

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:23 pm
Yami_Ichi
I can quote the Sodom and Gommoah [sp?] thing. That one is easy... xD And yes, it was destroyed for evil.. and it states homosexuality in there.

A mangled translation does. It was destroyed for inhospitality and rape (of angels).  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:32 pm
Lethkhar
Will the Thrill

This is a true statement. Last summer (When I was going around and checking out different religions), I asked a Catholic priest where in the Bible it said that homosexuality was wrong, and he could not answer me.

He said something about how that was why Sodom and Gemorah were destroyed, but when I asked him to show me where it said that, the only thing he could come up with was the people outside of Lot's house who wanted to rape the angels.

Leviticus 18:22 20:13  

Aino Ailill

+Gloria Domini+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:34 am
Aino Ailill
Leviticus 18:22 20:13
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

Interesting... I googled those verses, and got this.

I think that the Bible should not be followed down to the letter. I see it more as just a book than an instruction manual or rule book. You read it, glean what you can from it, and perhaps you may find a part of it that seems to speak out directly to you, and perhaps guide you. I don't see it as a weapon for damning others, but as a tool for improving oneself, and becoming closer to God.

I think it's Deuteronomy 12, that speaks about toppling the altars of the non-believers and destroying their lands and so forth. I certainly don't see that part of the Bible as something that should be taken to heart; why should Christians follow all of the rest of it, then?

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell, that's chaining up the world

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas