Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Sailor Moon from a religious standpoint Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:42 pm
While googling information on Sailor Moon, I happened to find a web page in which people explained Sailor Moon and what relevance it had to the Christian religion. Some bashed it for being inappropriate, while others praised it, saying it has great teachings about faith and loyalty.
http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/tv/2002/sailormoon.html

Here is an excerpt from the first review of it:

Article

"God" is never mentioned in North American versions of Sailor Moon. Serena/Usagi is Christian. She wears crosses, which are edited out, she uses her faith in God in extreme situations and ask him for his help, protection, and guidance. She is deeply worried about Rei/Raye the Shinto Priestess and often arguements start amongst them because of their religions. As for the other characters, the series, and so on. Naoko brings up as many Myths, Legends, and religions as she can, trying to teach children without boring them.

The First Season teaches the truth about elements and if they were people, the outcome is that they are weak, unstable, and not solid. The Doom Tree series is about the Nordic religion, the outcome is that the whole of the people destroyed themselves except those who listened to and took care of their mother and each other (real practicioners of the religion fought until they all died except those who accepted it as myth and found true love). The Second Season again looked at elements and Wicca. The Third Season went into Wicca and misunderstandings--the Witches killed each other and the Dark Messiahs only power turned out to be destruction and pain, the power hungry father had lost out on enjoying life. The Fourth Season goes more into Elements and Ancient Mythologies of the European world, the villains are after what they do not have... their own dreams. The Fifth Season is more complicated, it has stuff for all ages, many religions have some connection between a Star and three men...

I would love to hear what you all have to say on the matter.

Disclaimer: Whether you are religious or not, and whatever opinions you hold on the matter, do not bash anyone else here based on their faith (or non-faith). I don't want to start any hateful arguments or any such thing, so please just discuss and be respectful to others and their opinions and beliefs. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:49 pm
I think that the person who wrote this made many valid points, but in some cases might be reading a little too deeply into some parts.

What struck me when I first read this is that while Usagi and Rei argue about a lot in the anime, I never recall them arguing about religion.
Likewise, while Rei is a Shinto priestess, she also goes to an all-girls Catholic school as shown in the manga. Therefore, I'd guess that she's well-informed about both Shinto and Catholicism.

Rabbit-eyes

Darkness Cake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:13 pm
I know in the manga she is seen wearing crosses (for fashion, I assume) and never in the anime. And I've seen the Japanese version... Usagi never asks for help from "god" that I've ever seen. I think whoever created this article needs a life. They have to be overly Christian (those crazy types that try to convert you no matter what you do). I have nothing against the religion, just many of their followers...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:05 pm
I remember Usagi praying in some parts of the Japanese version, but I don't remember her mentioning God specifically. Even though this person seems to have a couple of far-fetched ideas, I'm at least glad they were defending Sailor Moon rather than bashing it.

Also I'm really surprised that with all of this person's comparisons to religion, they never brought up similarities between Hotaru and Jesus Christ.
Evidence:
-Both have healing powers
-Both considered a Messaiah
-When Hotaru is transformed into Mistress 9, she "dies" and is later ressurected (appearing as Saturn).

I'm not saying Hotaru = Jesus, just that there seems to be a possible Biblical reference. However, this Biblical reference was made very apparent by Hotaru appearing on a crucifix at one point in the unedited version.
But oddly, no one on that webpage, including the person whose excerpt I added, mentioned this idea.

Rabbit-eyes

Darkness Cake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:09 pm
But see, that's the anime. The animators did a lot of it without Naoko's influence. If you look in the manga alone, the only references is both Hotaru and Usagi being referred to as Massaiahs. (that I remember)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:16 pm
Roselite Blade
But see, that's the anime. The animators did a lot of it without Naoko's influence. If you look in the manga alone, the only references is both Hotaru and Usagi being referred to as Massaiahs. (that I remember)

That's a good point, I suppose the creators of the anime had different ideas about Hotaru's role. I don't remember if Hotaru had healing abilities in the manga (I haven't read it in a looong time). The Messaiah reference and rebirth/ressurection may still be a reference but it's just about impossible to say whether it was intentional or not in the manga, since the comparisons are much less apparent.  

Rabbit-eyes

Darkness Cake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 pm
She can heal in the manga. She uses it on Chibi-Usa-chan. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:55 am
Quote:
"God" is never mentioned in North American versions of Sailor Moon. Serena/Usagi is Christian. She wears crosses, which are edited out, she uses her faith in God in extreme situations and ask him for his help, protection, and guidance. She is deeply worried about Rei/Raye the Shinto Priestess and often arguements start amongst them because of their religions. As for the other characters, the series, and so on. Naoko brings up as many Myths, Legends, and religions as she can, trying to teach children without boring them.

I'm sorry. NO. Usagi is not Christian. She prays to the MOON. She argues with the Shinto prreistess (who goes to a CATHOLIC SCHOOL) because she is a lazy a** and her friend demands she do something with her life. That person never saw Sailor Moon, they saw clips and interpreted in their own manner.

Usagi wasn't even 'Jesus', Hotaru, the creepy goth girl, was the Messiah. Usagi. the pure girl, couldn't handle the Grail, and Hotaru, the tainted one, was meant to use it. The fact she's a creepy goth is probably why America tried to edit it all away and remove the religion from S. Nevermind the complications of sweet Hotaru being a killer.

"How dare they imply a Gothic girl could be holy!!!! Look what she does to things when no one looks!"  

Syndrama

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:39 am
you're right. i've been in some similar aguments about his before. I agree with you for the most part. I think that Naoko-hime could maybe be christian... it IS a possibility... it doesn't matter where she got married (a shinto shrine). The people almost never use the shrines for religeous purposes when it comes to marriage... at least not now, anyway. It doesn't matter what religeon they practice, they only use the shrines because they believe heavily in tradition. (HA! I had to slam this one because it's the most commonly used argument against the "Is-Naoko-hime-Christian" theory.)

No one just throws crosses in their manga and/or anime for no reason. Crosses are NOT a fashion statement. Serena is seen praying to Someone quite often, and when the crosses are taken into account, it is suggested that this is a sign of Naoko-hime's POSSIBLE Christian faith. If I haven't covered all bases and someone wants to slam me for this, let them slam... I'm sure I can defend my standpoint quite effectivley...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:42 am
~Alechsa~
Quote:

I'm sorry. NO. Usagi is not Christian. She prays to the MOON. She argues with the Shinto prreistess (who goes to a CATHOLIC SCHOOL) because she is a lazy a** and her friend demands she do something with her life. That person never saw Sailor Moon, they saw clips and interpreted in their own manner.

Usagi wasn't even 'Jesus', Hotaru, the creepy goth girl, was the Messiah. Usagi. the pure girl, couldn't handle the Grail, and Hotaru, the tainted one, was meant to use it. The fact she's a creepy goth is probably why America tried to edit it all away and remove the religion from S. Nevermind the complications of sweet Hotaru being a killer.

"How dare they imply a Gothic girl could be holy!!!! Look what she does to things when no one looks!"

*slam!* gotcha! NO! Serena WAS the Messiah (not the same as Jesus, but apparently similar). Hotaru even says so. It was Hotaru's job to end the world and Serena's job to revive it. the plan worked splendedly and Serena is therefore the future ruler of the world.  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Rabbit-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:57 am
Rush_Hardroc
you're right. i've been in some similar aguments about his before. I agree with you for the most part. I think that Naoko-hime could maybe be christian... it IS a possibility... it doesn't matter where she got married (a shinto shrine). The people almost never use the shrines for religeous purposes when it comes to marriage... at least not now, anyway. It doesn't matter what religeon they practice, they only use the shrines because they believe heavily in tradition. (HA! I had to slam this one because it's the most commonly used argument against the "Is-Naoko-hime-Christian" theory.)

No one just throws crosses in their manga and/or anime for no reason. Crosses are NOT a fashion statement. Serena is seen praying to Someone quite often, and when the crosses are taken into account, it is suggested that this is a sign of Naoko-hime's POSSIBLE Christian faith. If I haven't covered all bases and someone wants to slam me for this, let them slam... I'm sure I can defend my standpoint quite effectivley...

In some cases the cross is used for fashion (which some Christians find disrespectful), but most people wear crosses for, well, the obvious reason. It would not be surprising of Usagi were Christian, but to me it seems there is little evidence to support it one way or another. One thing I just realized though, is that when they reach their ultimate forms, they have wings and are called "eternal". Also in transformations Usagi is often seen with wings, so we are shown that the Senshi are in fact supposed to be angelic.

I personally don't know much about Naoko herself, so I can't very well debate on that. ^^;

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:04 am
Rabbit-eyes
Rush_Hardroc

In some cases the cross is used for fashion (which some Christians find disrespectful), but most people wear crosses for, well, the obvious reason. It would not be surprising of Usagi were Christian, but to me it seems there is little evidence to support it one way or another. One thing I just realized though, is that when they reach their alternate forms, they have wings and are called "eternal". Also in transformations Usagi is often seen with wings, so we are shown that the Senshi are in fact supposed to be angelic.

I personally don't know much about Naoko herself, so I can't very well debate on that. ^^;

It is disrespectful. I'm a Christian... and I know Christian symbolism when I see it. And in the Stars Manga, Galaxia says she was chosen by God. This and the constant use of Christian symbols supports my theory.  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Darkness Cake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:44 pm
Just because you find it offenseive, doesn't mean every Christian does. And about Galaxia's reference to being chosen by God, that doesn't hold much water since a lot of Christians don't believe in life on other planets.

The only symbolism I see relating to Christianity is Usagi wearing a cross, the ONE reference to "god", the wings, and when they visit the graveyard, the graves are crosses (actually celtic crosses, not normal crosses, so they don't count nearly as much).

Besides, who CARES if they're is religious symbolism in Sailor Moon. That's not the point! The point of Sailor Moon is a story that teaches you that friendship and standing up for what's right is correct. There are a hell of a lot of other stories with the SAME basis that many Christians bash, like Harry Potter.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:19 pm
Roselite Blade
Just because you find it offenseive, doesn't mean every Christian does. And about Galaxia's reference to being chosen by God, that doesn't hold much water since a lot of Christians don't believe in life on other planets.

The only symbolism I see relating to Christianity is Usagi wearing a cross, the ONE reference to "god", the wings, and when they visit the graveyard, the graves are crosses (actually celtic crosses, not normal crosses, so they don't count nearly as much).

Besides, who CARES if they're is religious symbolism in Sailor Moon. That's not the point! The point of Sailor Moon is a story that teaches you that friendship and standing up for what's right is correct. There are a hell of a lot of other stories with the SAME basis that many Christians bash, like Harry Potter.

you do realize that's a common misconception. there are many christians who think it's possible God created life on more than just this world. I say, to think otherwise is arrogant and totally unlikley. You do bring up good points, but i still stand on the possibilities.

The only reason why Christians bash Harry Potter is because they're afriad it'll start a new craze with magic among youth. I'm not afraid of that and I know Christians who like Harry Potter... I dated one, actually.

sorry for keeping the Christian arguments going.  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Darkness Cake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:28 pm
Rush_Hardroc
Roselite Blade

you do realize that's a common misconception. there are many christians who think it's possible God created life on more than just this world. I say, to think otherwise is arrogant and totally unlikley. You do bring up good points, but i still stand on the possibilities.

The only reason why Christians bash Harry Potter is because they're afriad it'll start a new craze with magic among youth. I'm not afraid of that and I know Christians who like Harry Potter... I dated one, actually.

sorry for keeping the Christian arguments going.

There are plenty of sane Christians out there who know better than thinking that Potter will do that. But you see, many of the ones who are less than sane, would feel the same way about Sailor Moon, if you really think about it. Girls who say a phrase, become naked for about 15 seconds, then reappear in REALLY short skirts HAVE to be good for kids... (sarcasm for those not paying attention).  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff