Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why Athiests Care About Religion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:35 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fQA9mt-Mg&NR

Is this guy right or is he right?

I never knew there was that much prejugduce against athiests.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:59 pm
He puts it a bit bluntly, but that's the just of it.

Personally, I don't contend with as much prejudice as others do, and I'm almost bothered by that fact. I'd rather face something this painful head on...

Though, being surrounded by these people without the outright aggression does afford the opportunity to try and set at least a few individuals on a straigher path through far more peaceful means.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:25 pm
I agree with Speed. It was put rather bluntly.

How much crap you have to put up with as an Atheist directly relates to where you live.

So depending upon where you live, there can be much prejudice, or very little towards Atheism.

I think he could have worded a few things differently. However he is correct in the essential topics that the more vocal atheists are concerned about.

Of course I get a lot of random heat from Theists not becuase I am an Atheist. I am not so...foolish as to vocally admit that I am one.

It comes from the tendacy for theists to pre-judge me based on my clothing. I prefer to wear a lot of black. So that means people will mistake me as a goth or some devil worshipper. It is quite interesting.

I love the video...so it is in my profile now. heart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:08 pm
The guy's right. He may put it inot a fast little reel and leave out several important details but he's right. I nearly got burned as a witch in school.  

russiangal367

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 pm
russiangal367
I nearly got burned as a witch in school.

eek That's a little extreme don't you think?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:27 pm
cup_noodles
russiangal367

Indeed.. seems like evidence of an extreme lack of logic.  

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

Existential Raincloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:03 am
For some reason the video ends for me in the middle of it, saying that it's over... confused  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:50 pm
Nergalitos
cup_noodles
russiangal367

Well, it was in fifth grade, I was living in the buckel of the Bible Belt and I was the one that introduced Darwin's theory of evolution. Luckily, I walked in just as they were discussing when to burn me. That pretty much stopped their plans. Leson learned: when you're in the Bible Belt, kepp your mouth shut or watch your back 24/7.  

russiangal367

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:53 pm
Where do you life exactly?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:20 pm
I live in Georgia now but the witch burning incident happened in Alabama and I also lived in Colorado and Long Island as well as Syracuse. Plus Russia, Paris and soon Brazil.  

russiangal367

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:33 pm
russiangal367
I live in Georgia now but the witch burning incident happened in Alabama and I also lived in Colorado and Long Island as well as Syracuse. Plus Russia, Paris and soon Brazil.

Alabama. Don't get me started on my home state here. x.x  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:58 pm
russiangal367
Nergalitos
cup_noodles
russiangal367

Well, it was in fifth grade, I was living in the buckel of the Bible Belt and I was the one that introduced Darwin's theory of evolution. Luckily, I walked in just as they were discussing when to burn me. That pretty much stopped their plans. Leson learned: when you're in the Bible Belt, kepp your mouth shut or watch your back 24/7.

Indeed, it IS a large lack of logic. Good thing you waltzed in on them. Poor people that must eliminate what they can't control.  

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:27 pm
Watching the movies that have spawned from this is amazingly awesome. XD And reading some of the comments is painful....  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:43 pm
Any athiest video gets attacked heavely by the YouTube community. Look at the video "Athiest" and you'll see about 14 different video replies.

cup_noodles

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:49 am
Too harshly worded? Nay, good friends.

The *only* complaints I have for this video are that it was dubbed using a desktop microphone with the same quality as a tin can and string and that it's so damned short.

Great find.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces