Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Helpful Phrase Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You like the phrase?
  Yes
  No
View Results

russiangal367

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:55 pm
Hey!
I was just on Google Groups and I got a reply on one of my topics with a helpful phrase. peopl at shool areannoying me why I don't believe in God. Next time someone does that, to you or anyone, jut say this phrase:

I believe in one less god than you, once you understand why you dismiss all the others, you'll understand why I dismiss yours.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm
Finally!! i've been searching for that quote a long time ago, and you just made my day by making me remember it. thanks... and uhmm you could also just say, "because i use reason." i mean... you do use reason... right?  

AnonymouZ

russiangal367

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:19 pm
I've tried that and every time I get this conversation:

Person: I use reason...it's called the Bible!

me: Hmm...a book written by someone. You know, I can use that too. I read a book yesterday that says chickens are actully the voices of the dad.

Person: What book?

me: It doesn't matter! That was a lie. Point is, Bible isn't reasoning.

Person: Yeah it is.

me: Ok. Who wrote it?

Person: Priests.

me: What gives us proof that the preists weren't lying?

Person: Becasue, everyone knows that doves came down from the heavens and whispered what to write in their ears.

me: It's also a well-known fact that there was a counsel which debated on what to put in the Bible during the reign of Constantine.

Person: Liar.

me: Ok.

And then I walk away.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:29 pm
yeah... same thing happens to the stubborn peoples in my family... only since it gets personal i manage to always make them walk away or get too nervous or cocky to understand logic. and then i just laugh. twisted

but yeah, if it's missionary kind of christians they won't stop bugging ya, so you could also master the art of ignoring people. pretty useful for later on situations in life too.  

AnonymouZ

russiangal367

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:58 pm
Yeah. I've already mastered that. Here's my routine:

1st time: Do speech above

2nd time: Do phrase above

3rd time: Warn them of ignorement

4th time: Start ignoring

Continue...  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:03 pm
russiangal367
Yeah. I've already mastered that. Here's my routine:

1st time: Do speech above

2nd time: Do phrase above

3rd time: Warn them of ignorement

4th time: Start ignoring

Continue...

Belive it or not, that works well for me.I only will accually debate once more. My cousin got as far as a warning before he stopped. He's been beaten with a bible far too hard, it seems =/  

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:51 pm
Aw man, I wish I had my dad's old computer. I had the funniest, and I mean farking hilarious conversation with this really religious chick in the Yahoo! chat rooms a few years ago. Holy crap it was histerical. I'll have to see if the comptuer still has it, my little sister has the comp now. Hmmm...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:32 am
PM it to me if you get it back.  

russiangal367

Muffin Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:14 pm
3nodding I like it. Short and simple, but clever and to the point. Thanks, I think I'll use it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:29 pm
Thanks, it's a whole lot better than all these other long conversations. I don't remeber where I found this but I want to thank the person who made it up.  

russiangal367

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:45 am
I love that quote. Perfect for a myspace healine  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:40 pm
Hah. That's just great. Now I've got another reason I can say if people ever ask me why I don't believe in God. rofl  

Meisugi_Jaganshi

russiangal367

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:51 pm
That usually gets them to scratch their heads for a bit.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:08 pm
russiangal367
Hey!
I was just on Google Groups and I got a reply on one of my topics with a helpful phrase. peopl at shool areannoying me why I don't believe in God. Next time someone does that, to you or anyone, jut say this phrase:

I believe in one less god than you, once you understand why you dismiss all the others, you'll understand why I dismiss yours.

What happens if they're of the belief that every God is valid?  

Aino Ailill

russiangal367

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:37 pm
You mean pagans and polygamists? Usually they're not so shallow and are very intuative and don't force me use this quote.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff