Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*^The Knowledge Box^*~ Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:09 pm
Welcome to ICU Knowledge Box.

Here is where all the members can post tutorials of any kind (keep it pg-13 stare ). You can post recipies for cooking, tutorials on art, sub-routines for programming, etc etc. I would try to keep a table of contents here so when someone needs to find something they can easily find it without scrolling through 50 pages of other info 3nodding

Oh yes, another note: If you're gonna make a tutorial, please put some time into it. Make sure you cover as much as possible so people won't have to ask too many questions.

(note: I'll add banners and other picture goodies later xp )  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:09 pm
Table of Contents:

Currently having: 7 tutorials/information.

Introductory to Archery: ------------------------------------------------------------Page 1
By Cat-Whiskers

Litterbox Training for Bunnies: ----------------------------------------------------Page 1
By t0shi0

The Basic Guide to Analysing a piece of English Prose or Poetry: -------- Page 2
By ~Ironic Dawn~

Lecture About Food: ------------------------------------------------------------------ Page 2
By CrimsnHawk

Logical Computing Math for Dummies: ------------------------------------------ Page 2
By Cat-Whiskers

64bit/binary guide: ------------------------------------------------------------------ Page 2
Quoted by CrimsnHawk

Similariteis Between Lincoln and Kennedy Assassinations: ----------------Page 2
By f1r3b4ll2000

Inputting Chinese Characters in Windows XP: -------------------------------- Page 4
By Cat-Whiskers  

Cat-Whiskers

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:10 pm
As per request from my fiance, I shall now post a introductory tutorial to archery 3nodding

Archery

History(skip if you're not interested xp ): An exerpt taken from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Archeologists suspect that archery may have begun up to 15,000 years ago, but the earliest concrete evidence is between 8,000 and 9,000 years old. The bow probably originated for use in hunting, and was then adopted as a tool of warfare. Bows eventually replaced the atlatl as the predominant means for launching projectiles. Archery was practiced in antiquity on every continent except Australia, demonstrating that it is both basic and versatile.

The equipment: Here I shall introduce one of the most popular, and basic bow types - the Recurve. The a basic recurve bow can be disassembled into 4 different parts - the upper limb, the lower limb, the handle, and the bow string. Below is a picture of the bow when disassembled:

User Image

As you've noticed there is something else called a Bow Stringer. This is used to put the bow string onto the bow. For more information on how to string a bow, ask the retailers who are selling you the bow, they will go through the safety procedures on how to string a bow step by step.

The Handle: The bow handle is perhaps the most important part of a bow. The handle can be made for a left-handed or a right-handed person. To determine which arm is your bow arm, you need to first determine which is your dominant eye. This shall be covered in detail later.

User Image

As you can see, here is a picture of the bow handle. The black patch on the middle is called the arrow rest. Here is where your arrow should be placed at. The little holes you see can be used to mount other secondary equipments, such as sights. This will not be covered in this tutorial.

The Lower Limb: The lower limb of the bow holds some important information.

User Image

As you can see, here the length of the bow and the weight of the bow are written. To find out what length is most suitable for you, ask the retailer at the store in which you are purchasing the bow at. For weight, I suggest 15-18 lbs. for beginners. The stores will upgrade the limbs for you as you progresses, and there is noneed to replace the handle, as it is universal.

The Dominant Eye: To find out which eye is your dominant eye, focus at something that's far away. Stretch out your arms in front of you and hold out your hands. Form a triangle between your two index fingers and thumbs. Then pull your hands slowly towards your face, all the while still focusing on that distant object. When your hands are in front of your face, you should be looking through that triangle through your dominant eye while your hands should be either wholly or partially covering the other eye. If your left eye is dominant then you use your right hand to hold the bow, if your right eye is dominant then you use your left hand to hold the bow.

The Arrow: Below is a picture of the basic arrow:

User Image

User Image

User Image

As you can see, the feathers on the arrow are color-coded. There is one feather that would be of a different color than the other two feather. This odd colored feather should be facing away from the bow, while the two same colored feathers should be facing towards the bow.

Protection: Archery is a dangerous sport. Without basic protections you can seriously injure yourself. Here are the basics of the basic equipment for self-protection:

User Image

The little pad on top is for the draw arm. It is to protect your fingers from the bow string, here is how you attach the pad:
User Image
User Image

The lower, longer pad is to protect your bow arm. When releasing the bow string, it more often than not glides across your forearm. If it is a weak bow, it will leave a painful red mark. if it is a strong bow, sometimes it can literally tear away a layer of skin.

User Image

The basics of Archery: Now that we've finished with the equipment introduction, I shall go on to the basics of archery. The first, and most important rule: Never point a loaded bow at a person, even if it is not drawn. This is very important, always, always, always, remember this. An arrow from a bow can seriously injure a person, and sometimes outright kill them.

User Image
As you can see from the above picture, when shooting an arrow, keep your feet at shoulder distance. If you look straight ahead, your line of sight should be perpendicular to the direction in which the target is at. This means that if you turn your head 90 degrees, you should be looking directly at the target.

When drawing the bow, keep your arms parallel. your draw arm and your bow arm should be able to form a straight line. When drawn to the full length, your draw arm should be tucked right under your chin. Keep in mind that when drawing the bow, pull it with your middle and ring finger, not your entire hand. When releasing the arrow, your draw arm should continue to move backwards, a "follow-through" action. Do not just release the string and have your draw hand hang in mid air. Natrually move it backwards and let it fall by your side.

User Image

Well, that is it for the basic introduction to archery. Feel free to post any questions you have, and I'll try to answer it to the best of my knowledge.

Note: All the pictures used in this post (Save the one with green background) are made by me. Please refrain from using them elsewhere without first asking for my consent, thank you. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:14 pm
reserved for.. some kinda tutorial  

Niphredil Ithilmir

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:20 pm
I have a question! Why are you so mean you had to cut out your face from the pictures?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:08 pm
Say waahhh?!?! o.O  

xoCrow

Cat-Whiskers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:54 pm
t0shi0
I have a question! Why are you so mean you had to cut out your face from the pictures?

Blame yalie5 for making me so evil twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:06 pm
Cat-Whiskers
t0shi0

Blame yalie5 for making me so evil twisted

Time to start up the mob again. 3nodding  

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

traya sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:57 pm
um...i have a freind who is a histroian, mabe if it's ok i can ask him for the info. then i well post it....  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:40 am
Here's something for everyone:

~别相信你需要的人~  

cold_blooded_chick

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:41 am
Translation of above:

Don't trust people you need~  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 pm
does anyone know how to fence?  

xiiao-ai

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:08 am
sinfulanjel
does anyone know how to fence?

No, but my friends fence 0.o"  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:59 am
My tutorial... Tada~
Litterbox Training for Bunnies. (Yes, they have litter boxes)

All the book methods did not work for me so I made my own. stare

One thing you must remember, if you have a wired floor in the cage, it hurts! Therefore I found that bunnies seek shelter of the floor in the litterbox, even though it stinks. o_O That sometimes lead to the bunnies not using the litterbox for it's perpose but as a bed, and it pees in the cage making it room stink unbearably. That would lead to cleaning constantly and result in a over use of bedding. I'd say try to give it a better house, leading it away from the litterbox. In another situation, my other bunny still uses the litterbox and sleeps in it. That makes her paws stained yellow, you can guess by what, and it is not pleasent to hold a bunny with peed paws. Again, I suggest the better house method.

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:33 am
0.o" Nice.. I never even knew they could be trained..  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff