Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Has anyone read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiporah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:35 am
I first heard about it on the Point of Inquiry podcasts that I listen to, then noticed it on the shelf at Borders and picked it up.

I am only on the second chapter, but it's giving me an interesting read.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 am
I picked it up in a bookshop and skimmed through, it looks really interesting. My philosophy + theology teacher (a buddhist himself) has told us all it's a really good read (my philosophytheology class is comprised of 2 christians, 1 muslim and 16 agnostic/athiests... lol). Im going to ask for it for christmas, I think. Ironic in the sense of CHRISTmas... haha i just realised mrgreen  

Muaethia

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:04 pm
I haven't read it, but I own his documentary "The Root of All Evil". He interviews many leaders of agressive religious groups and touches briefly on the theory of evolution. He's a little abrasive to the people he interveiws, but honestly I think anyone would be if they were talking to them. He went to one of those anti-Halloween haunted houses with fake gay weddings. I love the theory that seems to go "Step one: gay people marry. Step two: intermediate step, Step three: WORLD ENDS". Nobody seems to know why exactly gay marriage will kill us all, doesn't stop 'em from preaching it.
He talked to that megachurch leader who's in a gay sex scandal now. The man was the smarmiest jerk ever. I wouldn't wish suffering on anyone and I wish he'd had a supportive environment to be himself in, but I have to admit I am amused that someone so vocal about gay marriage killing us all would be gay. I just hope that in upcoming generations understanding and support will prevent this.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:01 pm
Erm, my mom wants to get it, but I'll probably read it before she does.  

16fruit

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:19 pm
I've never heard of the book but the title sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:22 pm
Ooooh I wanna read now.  

~Screwed_Up_Emo~

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:11 am
My mother has it downstairs. It's on my list of things to read at somepoint soonish.. I hope...

I saw quite a bit of the series too, it was very good.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:24 pm
Haven't read it, but it's on my list.

*looks at huge stack of library books on her floor*

A long way down on the list... and you know, I think Newsweek or Time recently published a debate between Dawkins and a Christian scientist, if that interests anyone.

S. Shark

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:19 pm
I took a look on a book website and found a few books for my booklist:
- Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
- The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
- Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design - Michael Shermer
- The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design - Richard Dawkins
- Climbing Mount Improbable - Richard Dawkins
- Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism - David Mills

They sound like very good and interesting reads.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:10 am
I got it for christmas (lol irony) have read a couple of chapters so far, it's damn good. Reccomended, everyone in this guild would enjoy it 3nodding  

Muaethia

Kron445

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:48 am
I have just download it, and i will read it this week. I love Richard works smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:21 pm
Bladed Alchemist
- The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design - Richard Dawkins
- Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism - David Mills

To add to your list: The End of Faith by Sam Harris, as well.  

EmmaRaikou

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:51 pm
Bladed Alchemist

Not to be discouraging, but it seems like that Dawkins repeats himself a lot. Even The God Delusion has a lot of evolutionary biology in it (then again, that's his subject area), and it can get repetitive unless you're really interested in evolutionary biology.

Also, if you're looking for more to read, how about The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God by Carl Sagan and Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:22 pm
As for all of you that like anti-religion-ish movies with a laugh. I highly recomend Monty Python's Life of Brian(so awsome) 3nodding .

cup_noodles

essteff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:55 am
Ive read it.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items