HOSHIT ASIAN TATTOOS. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zombina Corpse
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:18 am
So Asian tattoos are growing emensly in popularity.
I think they're awesome, however, I've seen so many people with tattoos in Chinese or Japanese that say things like "The ever powerful kitchen" or something similar. It doesn't make any sense because of one word or one mistranslation between English to Kanji.

So what do you think? Have you ever seen anyone who had something written in a different language that wasn't spelled correctly/mistranslated?

----------

{` K L i M || M i L K `}

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:35 pm
I've seen others with orienta lettering or symbols as tattoos, and I often wonder if they themselves know what the characters mean, or if they were chosen simply for their looks. I cannot translate the characters so I am at a loss in knowing if something is misinterpreted or wrongly done, and I have not had the courage yet to ask a stranger what their tattoo means when seeing someone with something of that nature. Even in looking through the portfolios and spreads of art and symbols on walls and in albums in parlors I often see the characters advertised as something they are able to and willing to put on your body, but next to never do I see a translation by them to know what the symbols mean. For that reason alone I don't think I could ever see myself getting a tattoo of that nature without first doing extensive research on it myself.  

Lividacious

Sparkly Genius

Bree-bunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:36 pm
A girl I really like and hope to date is half Japanese. If it works out between us I might have her name tattooed on my hip in Kenji.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:16 am
the only problem with getting someone's name tattooed is that it's permanent...but yeah

As for the other languages. One of my mother's employees actually asked me to translate something for him into French (I speak French fluently) but just to be safe I had my old French principal check it because I was never the best at grammar and such. He was pleased when I gave him the paper back. And yes, it was for a tattoo.

With the whole Kanji thing...I'd be REALLY apprehensive because I don't know if the artist actually knows what they're putting on me...my boyfriend wants to get some things done in Kanji but I think I'm going to have him ask a few people to translate for him...you know...so it's correct.

Be careful before you get something in another language <3  

[Vanilla Lace]

Shameless Elder

girl_omnipotent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:19 am
I once saw someone with "I am a doughnut" tattooed on her arm in Gaelic...She though it meant "I am which I am"  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:56 pm
girl_omnipotent
I once saw someone with "I am a doughnut" tattooed on her arm in Gaelic...She though it meant "I am which I am"

xd I saw someone with "butter fly"(mosca de mantequilla) tattooed on their ankle in Spanish, instead or Mariposa, which is butterfly. They had that and a butterfly on their ankle.

I asked them where they were from, and they said Michigan. Their friend, who had taken a year of Spanish in 7th grade, told them that's how you say it....and now it's permanent.  

2aetH

Mugwamp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:54 pm
reitha n-aroshi
girl_omnipotent

xd I saw someone with "butter fly"(mosca de mantequilla) tattooed on their ankle in Spanish, instead or Mariposa, which is butterfly. They had that and a butterfly on their ankle.

I asked them where they were from, and they said Michigan. Their friend, who had taken a year of Spanish in 7th grade, told them that's how you say it....and now it's permanent.

Wow, that's quite amusing.
It would be ranther embarrasing to find out something like that, although it is the "victim"s fault because they didn't check into it.
What's worse about that is that they probably could have looked it up in an english-to-Spanish dictionary rather than ask their friend.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:14 am
Guy I know is dating a Japanese woman. He had her write out the kanji/katakana/whatever for Masamune since he's a huge Final Fantasy dork. About three days later, he's so embarassed he starts telling everyone it's her name.  

Chojin9999

Bree-bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:27 am
Emo In My Head
the only problem with getting someone's name tattooed is that it's permanent...but yeah

As for the other languages. One of my mother's employees actually asked me to translate something for him into French (I speak French fluently) but just to be safe I had my old French principal check it because I was never the best at grammar and such. He was pleased when I gave him the paper back. And yes, it was for a tattoo.

With the whole Kanji thing...I'd be REALLY apprehensive because I don't know if the artist actually knows what they're putting on me...my boyfriend wants to get some things done in Kanji but I think I'm going to have him ask a few people to translate for him...you know...so it's correct.

If I really love her, then I won't regret it, even if we break up. It's not like most people will understand what it says anyway... She knows Kenji, so I'd have her draw it for me before I get it done, just to make sure it's correct.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:42 pm
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

If I really love her, then I won't regret it, even if we break up. It's not like most people will understand what it says anyway... She knows Kenji, so I'd have her draw it for me before I get it done, just to make sure it's correct.
eh...that's how my boyfriend and I are but I told him I wouldn't let him get my name even though we've kinda taken an oath not to break up and such...long story.

I still made him promise.  

[Vanilla Lace]

Shameless Elder

Bree-bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:06 pm
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

eh...that's how my boyfriend and I are but I told him I wouldn't let him get my name even though we've kinda taken an oath not to break up and such...long story.

I don't know why, but having someone's names tattooed on me seems less tacky if it's in Japanese. That's probably stupid, but oh well.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:49 pm
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

I don't know why, but having someone's names tattooed on me seems less tacky if it's in Japanese. That's probably stupid, but oh well.
*shrug* it's your opinion. Love isn't exactly forever though...despite what people say. If you and her broke up, you'd probably be upset knowing you have her name on you (permanently). I know that'd upset me more than make me smile.  

[Vanilla Lace]

Shameless Elder

Adjective

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:32 pm
I read something in bmezine news about kanji mistranslations. One of the tattoos was supposed to mean 'extreme change' and it actually meant 'strange wierd'. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:02 pm
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

*shrug* it's your opinion. Love isn't exactly forever though...despite what people say. If you and her broke up, you'd probably be upset knowing you have her name on you (permanently). I know that'd upset me more than make me smile.
I think love can last forever. I've seen couples that love each other even after one of them is dead. I hope to find that kind of love. And even if I did break up with her, if she was a really important person in my life and left a perminate mark on my heart, I'd think it would be appropriate. Not that I'm about to rush out and get it done anytime soon. I'd have to be pretty damn sure it was worth it and right now I don't even know if we're offically dating.  

Bree-bunny

[Vanilla Lace]

Shameless Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:35 am
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head
Bree-bunny
Emo In My Head

I think love can last forever. I've seen couples that love each other even after one of them is dead. I hope to find that kind of love. And even if I did break up with her, if she was a really important person in my life and left a perminate mark on my heart, I'd think it would be appropriate. Not that I'm about to rush out and get it done anytime soon. I'd have to be pretty damn sure it was worth it and right now I don't even know if we're offically dating.
hm...I guess it really depends on the couple then. I'd love to get my boyfriend's name tattooed on me in Kanji but I want to be sure, just like you. I'd still be apprehensive though because I never know what could happen.
You make a good point though. I hope it become official for you 3nodding heart  
Tattoos

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff