Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
English verson vs Japanese version question. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YaminoSadame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:45 am
I was checking out SM on youtube and am surprised at the number of changes made to it. I've seen from SM S-Stars in Japanese and the prior series in English so I knew there were in acuracies, but I didn't realize there where quite so many. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website or something that explained why there were so many changes. Some stuff I understand, but they took out several episodes for reasons I don't understand, and moved the storyline really fast. I also was curious how exactly they did their editing. Did they hire artists to basicly re-animate it, or use a cut and paste type method?

Thanks for any info you can provide. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:03 pm
http://eternalsailormoon.org

This has lists of the changes in each season, and partial explainations. It's not a 100% complete list, but it's helpful.  

Syndrama

kawaiibunny3

8,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:52 pm
http://www.smuncensored.com/

VERY indepth comparrison.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:32 am
Ah, thank you very much everyone. ^^  

YaminoSadame

IntotheDestiny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:11 pm
I don't know so probably the Japanese is better. I've seen some of the Stars episodes.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:29 pm
kawaiibunny3
http://www.smuncensored.com/

VERY indepth comparrison.

ooo  

JasktheRayne

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200

Bunny_koi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:41 pm
I like the Japanese too! (except for the gay couple)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:55 pm
i prefer japanese  

imperfect heart

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:15 am
Japanese all the way! I can't stand the english dub anymore! Watching the japanese verson with the fansubs is almost like watching a completely different show entirely... that's how different the fansubs are compared to the english script... this is because, not only the fact that we can't translate for crap, we also have a bad tendancy to turn good anime into kid's shows, when most of them are originally intended for young adults.

(good exapmle: Michiru and Haruka are a lesbian couple, not cousins. Naoko-hime confirmed this, so it IS true! We Americans are so homophobic that we had to change the script and say that they were just cousins living together... I don't agree with homosexuality, but if that's someone's choice, then let them do it.)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:39 pm
The english version skipped to many parts of the show and the dialiog was wasn't correct because of the censors. The Japanese version was a lot better it had all epsiodes and i understood the show.  

AnubusRa

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Okay, I understand these arguments entirely, but I just have to defend the American dubbed Sailor Moon!

...Mostly just because I watched it when I was really little...

Well, the way I see it, if the translators hadn't made it suitable for a younger audience, I probably never would have been exposed to it.

EVER.

Even so, I want to read these comparisons... <.<

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:58 pm
Bunny_koi
I like the Japanese too! (except for the gay couple)

Haruka and Michiru are the best part of Sailor moon  

Kiiska

Babyjul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:48 pm
I havent seen the japanese but for what i've heard about gay parts and all that stuff i'll probably stay watching the english version.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:26 pm
You shouldn't be afraid of the "gay parts" it was only one part of the show. I guess the reason I like watching the original because it's the original. And it's amazing how much the dubbers changed.

For example in the episode "Shutter Bugged" they made Darien say that he was a male model and how it's hard work when in the original he had this long speech about how the photographer was a third-rate one and how true beauty comes from within. It was actually a pretty cool speech and it was completely changed.

And the English dub, what I've noticed, makes people a whole lot meaner. Sure I loved the dub when I was small but there were some things they just didn't have to change. And I agree with kawaiibunny3 that http://www.smuncensored.com/ goes into great detail. I like to watch the dub then watch the jap then glance at that site to see what I missed. ^.^ And the Jap. is WAY funnier than the english. Plus Luna's voice is the cutest rather than her old lady nanny voice they give her in the dub. >.<

Ooh, but my favorite quote of all time is "Being ran over by a car is one thing, but I'd be too embarrassed to say I was ran over by an airplane" -Usagi (Sailor Moon)

Oh, and plus, they took out them talking about Sexism because Jadeite made a comment about women which made Moon, Mars and Mercury get upset and give a speech about putting an end to it.

mokiepuppymaster

Beloved Genius

9,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Sailor-Rei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm
i think the japanese is better then english duh  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items