Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How dare they... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:55 pm
What is with this article? This is horrible! How dare somebody just say evolution is wrong and try to get people to believe it. I'm glad chirstians are finally using science and facts to try to prove us wrong (instead the "how were we made" excuse) but this is still incorrect! one opinion can affect many minds and lives. I know this person has freedom of speech but this is no way to use it. I just sent an e-mail to this person:

Quote:
How dare you say that evolution is false! I know your kind! You are one of those christians who can't admit that fact and science is proving your religion incorrect so you're being a whiny b***h and feeding people bullshit! It's you and your kind of people who try to please your god by treating atheists, jews, and all other religions like lesser beings! You're not doing god's work or helping anybody. I'm not saying all christians are wrong or evil but a lot of christians are becoming like that now. I go to school everyday only to hear some christian a*****e telling me I'm wrong and that science is bullshit! You have some nerve putting that article on the internet. You have a right to freedom of speech but don't abuse that liberty by giving people false information and treating my people like crap! That is all I have to say unless you wish to continue this conversation. Thank you for your time and goodnight.

Atheistly Yours,
C. Newcomer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:57 pm
"The Theory of Evolution is not a scientific law or a law of biology. A scientific law must be 100% correct."

The stupid thing about that, is that they don't call it a law. And not only that, but really, there aren't any laws of biology. Why? Cause its changing all the time.

"If natural selection were true Eskimos would have fur to keep warm, but they don't. They are just as hairless and everyone else. If natural selection were true humans in the tropics would have silver, reflective skin to help them keep cool, but they don't. They have black skin, just the opposite of what the theory of natural selection would predict."

Eskimos only came to the Americas from Asia a few thousand years ago. They haven't had the time to evolve into furry apes again. And Africans skin is black from an excess of melanin in the skin that protects the skin and inner organs from harmful UV rays. Its like a natural sunblock. Its what happens when people get tans.

"The cheetah in Africa is an example of an animal in the cat family with very limited variety in the DNA. Each cheetah looks like an identical twin. The cheetah DNA is so identical within each animal that the skin from one cheetah can be grafted into another cheetah without any rejection by the body."

Cheetahs are a very specified predator. It isn't that they're all the same, its that they're all very very similar. They're quickly dying out because of this flaw in their genes. The fact that they are so specific in their diet and ability to hunt that they are only found where there are small, fast prey. The African Savanah. Take a look at the leopard. Its everywhere. And thats because it has a very wide range of abilities and food sources. Like humans. Humans are able to span the globe because we're able to digest a multitude of things. As well as kill a variety of prey. If you were to take a black leopard and mate it with a snow leopard, I'm sure they'd be able to have offspring. Much like tigers and lions. Its just because they've all come from very similar backgrounds that they're able to reproduce together. But because of their habitats and millions of years to adapt, they've been able to change their appearance.

"As an example, a computer was programmed in an attempt to arrive at the simple 26 letter alphabet. After 35,000,000,000,000 (35 trillion) attempts it has only arrived at 14 letters correctly. What are the odd that a simple single cell organism could evolve with the complexity of more than 60,000 proteins of 100 different configurations all in the correct places? Never in eternity. Time does not make impossible things possible."

Notice that the computer has indeed made some of the alphabet. And just because its taken 35 trillion attempts doesn't mean anything. You think that evolution happens once a year? No. It happens every day. Variables in DNA happen every single time something is produced, not once a year. That means, that in all of the planets living history, there have been that many attempts. Now... I think, I'm not a math major, but I think that'd be a lot more than 35 trillion attempts. And also, its a good show that progress, takes time. Its not like a snap of the fingers. Duh.  

PickleBoy

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:13 pm
The Cheetah part just pisses me off. Cheetahs are not dying out because of a flaw in thier genes. It is because we are destorying it's habitat, and for a animal that is very specialized they just cannot adapt to sudden and rapid change.

In fact, there is a theory that the reason the Sabertooth died out was becuase it was a very specialized hunter...and if you get too specialized if any sudden change comes it'll give the species a very slim chance of being able to adapt in time to save itself.

We are trying to salvage what has left of the Cheetah population, but with so few individuals left we are running into a problem of there being a very small gene pool left.

That part right there really kills the whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:17 pm
I'm glad that Christians are using evidence than holy books to point their facts out, but some of the points in that article were bull.

cup_noodles

Zoten

Distinct Explorer

4,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:34 pm
You think it's bad now with evolution. Just wait untill they get ahold of M-theory, a Scientific explanation of how the universe came to be, and it was all by chace too. They well ineveitibly be a litle pissed, don't you agree?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:01 pm
Zoten
You think it's bad now with evolution. Just wait untill they get ahold of M-theory, a Scientific explanation of how the universe came to be, and it was all by chace too. They well ineveitibly be a litle pissed, don't you agree?

To tell the truth the whole thing reminds me of my thing on those people who dig up dinsosaur bones trying to "Prove the world is only 6000 years old."

Look at what they try to do with Dinosaurs. It would be interesting to see what crap they come up with if they try a take on M Theory.

However I think I know how they might respond. My brother is one of those people who thinks they can combine faith and religion....but he always distorts things. I know my brother would probably say the Universe cannot come to be from random chance...and probably would come up with evey bit of pseudo science he can think up off the top of his head with out actually addressing the actual topic.

The argument would be...something cannot come from nothing....and so our world would have to have been created by a god. Illogical...but that's straight from my younger brother's crazy mouth.

Sanguvixen

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:41 pm
THIS is not so hard to understand... is it?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:26 pm
Anonymouz
THIS is not so hard to understand... is it?

South Park kicks a**. xd  

Lethkhar

Foetus In Fetu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm
They're not using science or facts, they're twisting the truth to make it look like it supports their stance. Some of them simply don't understand evolutionary theory, some of them do it deliberately to deceive.

Science isn't, and can never, prove religion wrong, by the way. But let's have a look at this.
- - -

Quote:
The Theory of Evolution is not a scientific law or a law of biology.

No, it's a theory.

Quote:
A scientific law must be 100% correct.

That's a gross oversimplification. A scientific theory is simply the best explanation we have that fits observed phenomena, i.e. it's the simplest explanation that fits the facts and has the most supporting evidence. If evidence appears contrary to a theory, it is essentially disproved but may still be used to explain phenomena for which it does work.

For example, we know that the planetary model of atoms is basically 'wrong', but it's a model that works for most basic chemistry when more accurate models might be too complex to go into at some levels of study, like school. There are also aspects of Newtonian physics that work only at low speeds but are simpler than later models of physics that take longer to work out and will arrive at the same answer for some circumstances.

Also, because science is a body of knowledge arrived at through induction, it can never be "100% correct".

Quote:
The Theory of Evolution will never become a law of science because it is wrought with errors.

The Theory of Evolution will never become a law of science because it is a theory.

Quote:
This is why it is called a theory instead of a law.

Wikipedia
Scientific laws are similar to scientific theories in that they are principles which can be used to predict the behavior of the natural world. Both scientific laws and scientific theories are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence. Usually scientific laws refer to rules for how nature will behave under certain conditions. Scientific theories are more overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#Scientific_laws

Quote:
This is the same as the "survival of the fittest" theory of the evolutionists.

You described a process. Processes are not the same as theories. The idea or description of a process might form part of the body of evidence or exposition of a theory.

Scientists very rarely use the phrase "survival of the fittest" to describe evolution. It was actually coined by an economist to describe what he saw as equivalent processes taking place in economics. Scientists prefer the phrase "natural selection".

Quote:
Many different types of dogs can be developed this way, but they can never develop a cat by selectively breeding dogs.

No, they cannot.

Where in the Theory of Evolution was there a claim about producing cats by breeding dogs?

Quote:
Natural selection can never extend outside of the DNA limit.

"DNA limit"?

Quote:
DNA cannot be changed into a new species by natural selection.

Chemicals generally cannot become taxa, no.

Quote:
New variations of the species are possible, but a new species has never been developed by science.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB910.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/pdf/faq-speciation.pdf

Quote:
In fact, the most modern laboratories are unable to produce a left-hand protein as found in humans and animals.

Cite your sources and then explain how this disproves evolution.

Quote:
If natural selection were true Eskimos would have fur to keep warm, but they don't.

If there occured a mutation that provided a selective advantage to having fur, certain races of humans might grow fur. Clearly there has not. That does not disprove evolution.

Quote:
Each cheetah looks like an identical twin.

That's untrue. There are five distinct subspecies of cheetah, so clearly they do not all look like identical twins. It is true, however, that they have very low genetic variability. Have a link to Wikipedia.

Quote:
Evolution is scientifically impossible. Evolution is simply a theory that was developed one hundred forty years ago by Charles Darwin before science had the evidence available to prove the theory false. His famous book, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, has a title that is now known to be scientifically false. New species cannot evolve by natural selection. Modern scientific discoveries are proving evolution to be impossible. No new scientific discoveries have been found to prove the theory of evolution.

You can say it as often as you want, it won't make it true.

Quote:
Life did not start with a bolt of lightning striking a pond of water as claimed by evolutionists.

As claimed by who? Way to oversimplify abiogenesis, which is not even a part of the Theory of Evolution.

Quote:
They are taught that a monkey at a typewriter could punch keys at random and would type President Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address if given enough time. This is nonsense.

Tackle maths when you're done with science.

Quote:
Time does not make impossible things possible.

It makes improbable things more likely.

Quote:
Evolution is a Religion - the Worship of Time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Quote:
They switch tactics when pressed against the wall with solid scientific proofs against the Theory of Evolution as presented below by stating that evolution is "only" a theory.

I've never heard a scientist use the phrase "only a theory". I hear it a lot from Creationists, though.

Quote:
The human mind has a very detrimental character weakness. Humans would rather believe error for the rest of their lives than admit they had been wrong.

With this ironic comment, I'm gonna drop it. This has been cathartic.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:10 pm
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

The Christians who do treat those of conflicting faiths like lesser beings, and denounce everything contrary to their own views, are the ones giving Christians a bad name.

There is nothing wrong with a simple debate, but when it becomes name-calling, and everyone is pointing fingers, it's outright chidlish.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell that's chaining up the world

+Gloria Domini+

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:12 pm
What bull...this article is seriously crap.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:15 pm
I sent this person an e-mail.. Which is here..
E-mail to Author.
Good day.

I must say, it looks like it did take a lot of time to type up your article. And in there, you bring up many good points. But, there are so many more that you are either not completely aware of, you choose to deny, or you do not know the correct definition to.

First point. Your article states, "The Theory of Evolution is not a scientific law or a law of biology." And that is correct. The THEORY of Evolution is exactly that- a theory. And when it is taught, it is taught as a theory. I have no met anyone who has not introduced evolution as a theory. The definition of a theory is a contemplation, a guess, or a conjecture. Science is called to look at, and try to prove, or disprove, said theories.

Second point. You say in your article that there is no such thing as natural selection. Tell me this then. When the Tower of Babel was being built, there was a point where God confused all the languages. Now, people who spoke the same language, of course, paired up and stuck together. These people ventured to other places. Though it is not stated in the bible, the fact that these people were all of the same skin color is highly unlikely. So, what happened to those who were not fit for the environment? They died out. Take, for example, the darker color skin of the people of Africa. Now, take someone from America, a white person, and put them there. They would not survive in the environment for they are not suited to live there. I go to church, and natural selection is taught and accepted in my church. My teacher tells me, "If you were to put me, someone as white as I am, in a country like Africa, I would not survive. My skin is too pale, and I will get to burned to survive. I have day glow for goodness sake!" And what would happen if we placed an animal from America into another country? They would die off as well. Why? They are not suited for the environment. And to say that there have not been cases, is pure ludicrous. You speak of extinct apes. What causes an animal, or person, to become extinct? They are not fit to survive in the environment that they have been placed in. Therefore they die, or are killed, off.

Third point. Where are you getting brainwashing from? A game? That is simply something that is not acceptable. You took a simple child's game, and turned it into something that it was never meant to be. A three-legged race is meant to teach kids that they can get far by using teamwork. You are taught teamwork throughout your life. If it were not for you learning teamwork, I doubt that you would have been able to come up with your theories that you have. Someone else had to teach you what you believe; does that count as brainwashing. You believe what you were taught, and others believe what they think is right.

In order to correctly come up with something that people will look at and take seriously, you need to remove the insults. As stated in your article, "If you believe this, you need psychiatric help." That is something that people are going to look at, and think that you are another Christian who bashes anyone who doesn't see the way you do. And in order to make your argument better, you need to give readers more respect. I know for a fact that many Atheists have read this article, and to hear that we are the ones in need of psychiatric help is going to enrage us and make us think that you are only out there to tell us we are going to hell.

Older civilizations did have gods, and they did believe in the afterlife, but most did not have the religion you speak of. Many ancient civilizations were polytheistic, believing that many gods were responsible for anything that happened. Your religion is monotheistic. That is a huge difference. Those people believed in all their gods just as much as you believe in your God.

You also speak of how "pride makes you unable to accept the truth." What is the truth? Can truth ONLY be what you believe? You do not even know for a fact that your God exists. You have a theory. Have you seen, touched, or felt God? No. You do not have solid evidence. Your religion is a theory just like evolution.

And yes, as you can tell, I am an atheist.

Sincerely,
Ann-Marie

Now, he wrote me back. But in the e-mail, he retitled it. I titled the e-mail, "In response to your article." when I sent it to him. When I got a reply, it was titled, "Atheist is a dumb evolutionist." This is what he replied to me.
Author's reply.

Hello,

I only read your first paragraph because I could tell you were not filled with the Holy Spirit. Then, I read the last and you confirmed it.

You believe in evolution because you are an agent of Satan, not because it makes any sense. Actually, you are very dumb.

Kent

And to this, I was going to send a reply. But, I recieved an e-mail from the postmaster telling me that he had blocked my e-mail. My reply was this:

Yami's turn!
How can I be an agent of Satan when I do not even believe that there is a Satan? I don't understand. And thank you for calling me dumb. You have proven to me that you are incapable of presenting a good argument without insulting others who do not see the way you do. If you would have read the whole paragraph, you would have seen that I have used evidence that is not only accepted by Christians, it is taught in the church I attend.

And I actually do not believe in evolution, just so you know. You assumed I did because you have set in your mind what Atheists think and believe.

Hmm.. interesting?

Yami_Ichi

Killian Darkwater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:27 pm
@Yami_Ichi

Wow, this Kent dude seems to be rather ignorant. =/ Rather disappointing I say-- I would be hoping for a logical debate instead of just a "Well, you don't believe the same thing as I do--so you can't talk to me!".

"Atheist is a dumb evolutionist"

How immature can a person get?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:08 pm
Pickles. You never talked much when I look. Not that I thought you were dumb. But you are one very deep guy. I loves it. ^-^

You should have been the one to write that letter. But in all likelihood, too much tunnel vision, and you would have wasted your effort.

Same to the thread creator here. Chances are you wasted your time. Most of them seem to block out everything that doesn't suit their first ideas. It is fear, plain and simple.  

Niveous

Recca

O.G. Noob

5,700 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:26 pm
Frustrating!

I often find it beneficial to ignore these sorts and go about living my life, believing as I do, and feeling grand about it. Let them feel grand about what they feel. Whatever.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff