Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
The Differences & Similarities Between SM & Wedding Peach Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moonlight_Shadow12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:37 pm
I have decided to create a thread to show the differences and similarities between Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach. I just want to let you guys know that I'm not saying anything bad about the show Sailor Moon I just want to clear up some misconceptions that I have heard of Gaia. Where some people claim that Wedding Peach ripped off Sailor Moon. The article I found was on a Sailor Moon Wedding Peach website just to let everyone know.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

First here is the The Similarities

On many a Wedding Peach website you’ll find an essay, article, rant, or at least a comment on why the author of the website thinks Wedding Peach is not a “blatant Sailor Moon rip-off” like some other sites (and magazines) sometimes say. And so I feel obliged to give my own article on this matter, and here it is. Before we get started let me say the following…

I like both Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach a lot. (magical girl anime happen to be my favourite type of anime)
If it weren’t for Sailor Moon I wouldn’t be into anime an I wouldn’t have a Wedding Peach website.
I actually prefer Sailor Moon but I like Wedding Peach a lot and I think it is under represented on the internet and there are plenty of non-static, good Sailor Moon sites out there – the same cannot be said unfortunately for Wedding Peach.
..okay lets get on with the article. Many people will have noticed that Wedding Peach seems rather similar to Sailor Moon, especially to the Dark Kingdom storyline of Sailor Moon’s first series. I don’t know if I’d be able to collate a list of their similarities with out missing something out, but on the other hand I don’t think I’d be able to make a list of there differences without people e-mailing me reminding me that I’d forgotten something either, so here are lists of the similarities and differences between the two titles, this is all I can think of at the moment.

The Similarities:

The lead is a cute, clumsy; girl in her Junior High years who gets poor marks at school and has strikingly odd hair and blue eyes.
She dreams of getting married one day and fantasises about her future wedding.
She finds out she can use a compact transform into a magically powered warrior and fight evil.

Both series feature similar themes

She is helped by a mysterious man who seems to show up almost every time she has to fight.
At least once one-or-more of her best friends’ lives are put in peril and she has to save them.
She is joined later by other girls who have similar powers to her, much later in the series a girl who has had her powers long than she has also appears and joins them.
She is told she must look for some item/items of great magical power that can help defeat the enemy.
She is fighting on behalf of a kingdom lead by a beautiful woman against another lead by another woman with lots of dark hair and a great hatred of something.
One of the things she defends is the idea of love (The Ai Tenshi (Wedding Peach), and the Ai no Senshi (Sailor Moon))
She falls in love with a boy who she bickers a lot with; he is turned into an enemy later in the series.
The leader of her enemy has five ‘important’ underlings; this later becomes six when the above boy joins them.
She fights “monsters of the day” she defeats approximately one-per-battle.
She learns her mother/past life mother is/was very powerful magically.
All her team mates are reincarnations of soldiers who fought the same evil in their past lives she is not a reincarnated solider however.
Her “last battle” against the enemy commences when she enters their realm to save the boy she loves from their grasp.
Oddly enough in the anime versions of both stories when the last battle is over she, her team mates, and the men/man involved lose their memories of the battles they once fought together and against each other, but in the manga versions of this story this memory loss never happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:39 pm
heart The Differences: heart

Usagi is 14 year old, Momoko is 12, Momoko is a least a good photographer it is her hobby. Usagi’s special hobbies are eating (cake) and sleeping. Personally, I wouldn’t call those hobbies, that said Usagi gets poor grades (around the 30 out of 100 mark) but Momoko gets worse! (20s!)
The whole “dreaming of getting married” is a bit of an obsession for Momoko while Usagi does list being a bride as her personal dream and she does fantasise about it she does it a lot less than Momoko does, plus Usagi seems to think of her life after the wedding on occasion which Momoko doesn’t seem to do a lot of thinking about.
Though they both transform using a compact and with transformation phrases that almost rhyme (Wedding Beautiful Flower!, Moon Prism Power... Make Up!) they recieve them in fairly diffrent manner (Momoko from Limone in the heat of battle, Usagi from Luna before her first battle)
Momoko/Wedding Peach doesn’t fall in love with Limone - the "magical boy/mystery man" (though she is attracted to him); Usagi/Sailor Moon does fall in love with Tuxedo Mask.
Momoko is joined in her fight by Yuri/Angel Lily and Hinagiku/Angel Daisy who already are her good friends when the story begins, on the other hand Usagi doesn’t meet the rest of the Sailor Soldiers until just a day or so before they first transform. Also Salvia is a lot more aloof than anime/manga Sailor Venus (incidentally Live Action Sailor Venus is rather a lot like Angel Salvia).
Momoko is pretty quickly identified as having one of the Saint Somethings, the Sliver Crystal doesn’t appear until about two thirds of the way through the storyline of the Dark Kingdom storyline. Also in Sailor Moon (well in the Dark Kingdom arc) Sailor Moon is the only one that holds an item of immense power like the Silver Crystal, whereas all the girls get to wield something of great power (Wedding Peach is the only one who can eventually use the all in unison)
The Kingdom (The Angel World) that Peach and the Love Angels fight on behalf of still exists, it may be in peril but it is not long dead like the Moon Kingdom. Also Queen Reine Devilla isn't in love with Limone or Yōsuke (which isn't surprising given that Devila hates love), in the anime Reine Devila fell in love with an angel called Etamine but became insanely jealous when she found she couldn't have him - this is a similar backstory to Queen Beryl and Prince Endymion but this backstory doesn't exist in the Wedding Peach manga, and still Etamine was never involved with Momoko.
While Sailor Moon defends love and justice and is a solider of love ('Ai no Senshi') she defends other things too, like life. Her overall mission is to find the Moon Princess and the Sliver Crystal. Wedding Peach is a Love Angel ('Ai Tenshi') and protecting love is her primary mission. That is the very reason the Love Angels are looking for the Saint Something Four, so that they can protect love by preventing the Angel World falling to the Devil World.
As I said before Momoko dosen't fall for Limone, she loves Yōsuke also their relationship develops a bit more realistically than Usagi and Mamoru's anime relationship (their manga and live action relationships are more well developed than their anime relationship).
The underlings of Queen Beryl are all men, at least Potamos brings an female aspect to the group, although she and anime Zoisite (who is rather effeminate, and a woman in the English dub!) are a little bit alike. Also Viento chooses to stay on the side of the devils out of his own free will (he actually hoped he could kill Reine Devila and stop the Love Angels from getting hurt) Mamoru is brainwashed into it.
Momoko's biological mother is an angel and of royal blood (the Queen's sister). Usagi's past life mother was a Queen and Usagi is a Princess. Cerezo is still alive, Queen Serenity isn't - beyond her essence being retained in a computer on the moon.
Momoko is not a reincarnated solider because she isn't reincarnated, it was her mother that fought alongside Lily, Daisy, and Salvia in their past lives not Momoko and while Cerezo didn't die she was separated from the Angel World long enough to marry and give birth.
Usagi isn't a reincarnated soilder because as the heir to the Moon Kingdom, Princess Serenity didn't fight - Sailor Moon was awakened in this life because Luna didn't relise she was the Princess.
The "last battles" may occur under similar circumstances but the battles happen very diffrently, I'd go into diffrences but then I'd have to write about the anime and manga differances of both shows and that would take forever. The biggest diffrence is that Reine Devila really is the "big bad" that the Love Angels have to fight, whereas Queen Beryl turns out to be merely an underling of Queen Metaria who in both the anime and manga is who Sailor Moon ends up fighting in the end.
When the girls lose there memories in the Wedding Peach anime they remain friends and still have relationships with their lovers - partically because they where friends to start off with (except for Scarlett) and partically because they asked for their memories of fighting to be removed, also Mr. & Mrs. Fūma and Sakura & Shōchirō get back together. In Sailor Moon because Usagi wishes on the Silver Crystal that she could have a carefree life like the one she had before she became Sailor Moon all the girls forget knowing each other and everything about their lives as Sailor Soldiers - Usagi forgets she loves Mamoru.
On a final note none of the Sailor Soliders besides Sailor Moon, and Sailors Neptune & Uranus (who love each other) have lovers. This is because they pledged their lives to protect the Moon Princess and are forced to always choose duty over love, Neptune and Uranus are just lucky they found each other within the Sailor Team. Sailor Moon gets to have a lover because she is the Moon Princess and he was the Earth Prince. The Love Angels have no such pledge and a free to love whoever they want.

Moonlight_Shadow12

Moonlight_Shadow12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:48 pm
I enjoy the article because it does a good job showing how the shows are similar and different from one another and it gives the shows their dews without making either one sound bad as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:08 pm
Huh..how interesting, thank you for sharing this great article.

I still like Sailor moon Better than Wedding Peach though, because I personally think the art quality of the Sailor moon Manga is a lot better than the Wedding Peach manga...  

Morphississ

bunnymint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:15 pm
I heart both but I prefer Sailor Moon.

Thanks for the info. exclaim  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 am
bunnymint
I heart both but I prefer Sailor Moon.

Thanks for the info. exclaim
Your welcome I'm glad that you enjoyed the article that makes me very happy to know that.  

Moonlight_Shadow12

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 pm
I've never heard of Wedding Peach sweatdrop But if it's magical girl, I'm totally looking into it right now!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:27 am
Magical Girl Yossy
I've never heard of Wedding Peach sweatdrop But if it's magical girl, I'm totally looking into it right now!!
Awesome I'm sure you will enjoy it alot here is a link to a review of the manga hope you like it.

Hanami Gumi Manga Review Wedding Peach  

Moonlight_Shadow12

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 am
Sweet xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am
What I like best about wedding peach are the wedding dresses that the girls wear in the series before they transform into fighting angels. I like the different colors too not to mention the different gadets they use to defeat the demons in the series.

User Image  

Moonlight_Shadow12

choirperson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:47 pm
I just watched the first episode of Wedding Peach. I like it!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:19 pm
Great. I couldn't find episode seven on Youtube, so now I'm in withdrawal.  

choirperson

Polexeny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:46 am
they have TOO MANY simmilarities..

but i like wedding peach too. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:33 am
I like both whee  

firefox112

Moonlight_Shadow12

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 am
I wanna post some information from the website where I posted the link in this chat please enjoy.

In my opinion, this is one of the most fun, diverse, and non-stereotypically interesting cast of characters to ever appear in shoujo manga; Hinagiku acts butch but is actually straight with no apologies for her natural strength; Yousuke is more mature than his twelve years because of his parents leaving him and yet reverts back to all the worst traits of a twelve-year-old when confronted with his crush on Momoko. No one is what they seem, or what you'd expect, so make sure to remember every clue about a person when watching the anime or reading the manga, because those clues will rise to hit you in the face again!

Rather than a ditz for a heroine, I was introduced to the bouncy but competent Hanasaki Momoko. Instead of a jerk who saves the girls at every turn, I found the reserved, wise Limone. Instead of a heroines who get beaten up regularly and must cry for help, I found girls who often saved their own bacon. Instead of a cheesy, predictable romance between Limone and Momoko, both characters remain only friends, choosing their romantic pursuits in other people. Said romance between Momoko and her main beau, Yousuke, is realistically done; they actually don't fall in love at first sight, but grow to know each other over the course of the first season. And oh yeah, the plot's good too. I hadn' ever been this pleasantly surprised by an anime series, and haven't since.

MANGA/ANIME

This review is made to be mostly about the manga, but I wanted to point out how smooth the transition from written to animated form was in this series. The manga and anime, happily, are essentially the same story, though the anime has filler episodes with added "monster of the day" characters to spread it out. If you'e seen the first four episodes of the anime you're introduced to the manga, and if you've read the first volume of the manga you've got the basic premise of the anime story. One big difference is in the art style; though the girls are supposed to be twelve, in the anime they appear to be at least fifteen. In the manga, until our heroines transform, they truly appear to be around their listed age. A further difference shows in manga Momoko's vengeful side (small though it is); in volume two she even kills an enemy when Hinagiku is badly hurt.

The largest and in my opinion most amusing difference is actually in the girls costumes. When Wedding Peach was designed as a manga there was no interest in attracting boys to the series, so the Angels were put in laces and frills for battle outfits. When an anime was being designed the producers realized that the laces and frills would kill any hope of a male audience, so who did they get to do the new "battle-armor" costumes but Kazuko Tadano, otherwise known as the character designer for Sailor Moon. To have this make sense, volume two of the Wedding Peach manga has the girls powering up to "Super-Angels" and donning their new lace-free "armor" (which still looked awfully like a mini-dress to me). Still, despite these differences, the story of the anime sticks to the manga, and the characters who do go from manga to anime retain their original personalities nicely. If you like the manga, you're pretty much guaranteed to like the anime as well.

Home

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff