Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Abortion? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reinna Astarel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 pm
*wonders how she just got invited in*

So anyways, I spend most of my time lurking in the Abortion debate threads, and I was wondering what the athiest populace here had to say about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:41 pm
I'm not pro-choice.
I'm not pro-life.
I'm pro-abortion.
Abortion needs to be avaliable to people. If they want it. Some of you might say, "Well, hey dumbass! Thats what I think and I'm pro-choice!".
Thats nice for you Joe/Jane Atheist, but "pro-choice" is really, really vauge. Thats like saying "I'm pro-cookies! Abortion is wrong!". It just doesn't make much sense.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Reinna Astarel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:18 pm
mrtommyos
I'm not pro-choice.
I'm not pro-life.
I'm pro-abortion.
Abortion needs to be avaliable to people. If they want it. Some of you might say, "Well, hey dumbass! Thats what I think and I'm pro-choice!".
Thats nice for you Joe/Jane Atheist, but "pro-choice" is really, really vauge. Thats like saying "I'm pro-cookies! Abortion is wrong!". It just doesn't make much sense.

*blinks* You're pro-abortion? As in, every single pregnancy ought to end in an abortion? confused At least, I'm pretty sure that's what that means.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:42 pm
I'm pro-choice. IT's a matter of senitiveity i think in abortion morals.  

Din_of_Serenity

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:45 pm
Reinna Astarel
mrtommyos
I'm not pro-choice.
I'm not pro-life.
I'm pro-abortion.

*blinks* You're pro-abortion? As in, every single pregnancy ought to end in an abortion? confused At least, I'm pretty sure that's what that means.

That it does not. I'm for abortion. It should exist. Not to be used on everything, just whenever.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:36 pm
mrtommyos
Reinna Astarel
mrtommyos
I'm not pro-choice.
I'm not pro-life.
I'm pro-abortion.

That it does not. I'm for abortion. It should exist. Not to be used on everything, just whenever.

Err, actually yes. Pro-abortion means you want to abort in every pregnancy. Pro-life means no abortions whatsoever. Pro-choice means that it is the mother's choice.

I'm reasonably sure those are their meanings...  

Reinna Astarel

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:29 pm
I'm pro-freedom. (call it what you will) I think people should have the right to seek assistance. Even if you made it illegal, they'd do it anyway, they did before. However, since the government conciders a human dead when no brain activity exists, it would only be fair to declair non-brain activity as not being alive. Therefor, if a fetus has no brain activity, it is not alive, BUT if it does, then that is murder. There are too many ways to PREVENT pregnancey. I find it silly that people couldn't think of what to do until six months in. But I don't feel it safe to allow the masses to tell people what they can or can't do with tehir bodies. Personally, I cringe at the thought or abortion, but I am not about to tell any what they can or can't do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:30 pm
Personally I'm pro choice.
There are many things that can be going on during a pregnancy, and the people involved might not be able to handle having a kid. Ultimately it's the mothers decision.

What angers me is how religious groups see abortion as murder.
You are only allowed to have an abortion in the first 3 months of the pregnancy. Before the 3 month point the fetus doesn't even have a very functional brain. It's literally a parasitic group of organs. But then again, there is a bunch or stuff such as 'throwing away god's gift' and 'tossing away an innocent soul' and such.  

kayamar

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:50 pm
Reinna Astarel
mrtommyos
Reinna Astarel
mrtommyos
I'm not pro-choice.
I'm not pro-life.
I'm pro-abortion.

Err, actually yes. Pro-abortion means you want to abort in every pregnancy. Pro-life means no abortions whatsoever. Pro-choice means that it is the mother's choice.

I'm reasonably sure those are their meanings...

....Whatever. Disagree with me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:01 pm
Well... hmmm... me i don't know where I stand in this. neutral

My mom started telling me 2 months ago about how she got an abortion. I was shocked. We were talking about my cousin and her baby and her being unmarried. She said that we all make mistakes and if she had had the baby she never would have able to live well. I think this is true. Some people can't afford to have a child. or they wouldn't be able to take care of it. Some people might hurt their babies if there not ready for the comitment. cry

Although it was your fault in the first place for having sex, protected or not stare . And if the condom breaks its your responsibility to talk about it with your partner before hand. exclaim

I guess really it depends on the sitiation. I wouldn't frown upon any one who would get an abortion. I guess im pro-choice. neutral  

E_Night

[Satan]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:47 am
It depends on what the people are using abortion for.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:06 am
I'm pro-abortion on general just to piss of the new lifers in my town.
But I believe abortion should be more of a back-up for rape victims who become pregnant, not some back-up for dumb sluts who get knocked up by their boyfriends when they forget to take their pill. stare

Sors

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:14 pm
Abortion should be available as an option. However, women should also know their other options. I think pro-life and pro-choice camps should both focus more on education. There really isn't a strong way to argue that the right to an abortion isn't covered by the Constitution. Just because you disagree with abortion for moral reasons doesn't mean someone else can't get one if they chose, but I can see putting some regulations/restrictions on it. Such as clinics having to tell patients of their options first and maybe even on what methods doctors can use.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Sors
I'm pro-abortion on general just to piss of the new lifers in my town.
But I believe abortion should be more of a back-up for rape victims who become pregnant, not some back-up for dumb sluts who get knocked up by their boyfriends when they forget to take their pill. stare

But you must understand pills and condoms don't always work. And thier not working doesn't make the person a slut. I believe sex after marrige is best but if to people are in love you know... I know condoms and pills are about 80-99% effective if used corectly. Condoms can tare so easily (too much friction, not put on corectly, a nail may puctiure) and they can slip. I really dislike the fact that you said [not some back-up for dumb sluts who get knocked up by their boyfriends when they forget to take their pill.] As effective as they are you have to take them at the same time everyday, a minor miss on time can get you pregnant. Thats Stereotyping people who have sex and get pregnant.

Oh random Info about semen! 3nodding
~Men normaly only 'lose' about 1 tsp though it seems like more
~1tsp semen has 10 calories lol  

E_Night

Soviet778

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:30 pm
i think women should have the choice whether or not to abort a fetus. abortions rock blaugh  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff