Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Chronicles of Narnia and other religious childrens' books. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:46 am
I'm sure I'm not the only one who read these books when I was little. Back when I was seven-ish, they were pushed on me by the people who went to the church my parents then went to. Since then my father's become a Diest and we both have ill memories of that time, but one thing I liked was that series. I had other sorts of enticing propoganda, such as an action-packed comic book of a modern retelling of the Pilgrim's Progress. Back then, I was way too young to understand the indoctrination.

I read all seven Narnia books, but since then I've lost them. I think I read them last when I was ten, and the Christian undertones had become clear but not troublesome. Recently, I purchased the aforementioned comic book and was reeling with how much of it was just straight-up Christian propaganda. When I read it as a child it was more like "Wow! He just cut that demon across the stomach and he grew another mouth there! Awesome!". Right now, reading the same scenes, it's difficult to swallow and obnoxious.

Since I no longer have them, I wonder if anyone else here read the books when too young to comprehend. It doesn't matter if you've just read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"--which, chronologically, is the second book--or all of them. If you've re-read them recently or other similar books, I want to know what you as adults think of them. Is it worth purchasing the collection again just to wonder at how much subtle religion is in there?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:14 am
Funny story: I never read the Narnia books, and neither have most of my friends. Going in to see the film I had no idea that the books were supposed to be full of christian ideology.

I laughed my a** off practically the whole film. The minute they talked about Christams, I was like "...wha?" Then came Santa, who gave out way better presents than I ever got, and the Lion King Jesus, who had the most hilarious scene when he walked on the beach, I mean, come on, that's right out of one of those corny wall plaques. It was just so obvious I couldn't stop giggling.

And then when I went to tell everyone my discovery, all I got was "Yeah, duh. That guy is a christian writter." Well, nobody told me, so.

Now a days, the only relgiously affiliated readings I frequent are a variety of asian based religions (buddha, shinto, confucious), and on ocassion the book of Revalations. I love end of the world tales.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:41 pm
Revelations is a fascinating and dire prophesy to read. I can totally get why you indulge in it. Mythology in general has always been a big thing for me. Some of the stories in the Bible are just amazingly over-the-top.

I saw the movie for nostalgia's sake and enjoyed it, but then again I'd read the books so all of that stuff is second nature to me. The Christian undertones, as blatant as they are, aren't quite as offensive or ridiculous when they're expected. If you want insanity, try "The Last Battle". It's his Revelations novel in the series.

Basically, the good people of Narnia and the evil "devil" worshipers (kind of a foetid bird-thing named Taash) of Taashbaan fight to the death. The end has something to do with how good deeds done in the name of Evil are seen by God as righteous, and evil deeds done in his name lead to Hell. An interesting take, although clearly still quite biased. Basically all those kids in the beginning? They die in the real world at the end. Except the eldest, who's so obsessed with "boys and parties" that in avoiding death has been doomed to life without Narnia, i.e. ejected from Paradise.

Now, if you've read that and marveled at its absurdity, try reading Neil Gaiman's "The Problem of Susan". It's a short story expressing his personal distaste with the ending of the Narnia series and well...it's pretty ******** up. Gaiman's good at ******** up though.

Bonus fact: Taashbaan, the heathen land, is clearly an ape of the middle east and Muslim culture. Chew on that a bit.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:38 pm
Aufstandkind
Revelations is a fascinating and dire prophesy to read. I can totally get why you indulge in it. Mythology in general has always been a big thing for me. Some of the stories in the Bible are just amazingly over-the-top.

I saw the movie for nostalgia's sake and enjoyed it, but then again I'd read the books so all of that stuff is second nature to me. The Christian undertones, as blatant as they are, aren't quite as offensive or ridiculous when they're expected. If you want insanity, try "The Last Battle". It's his Revelations novel in the series.

Basically, the good people of Narnia and the evil "devil" worshipers (kind of a foetid bird-thing named Taash) of Taashbaan fight to the death. The end has something to do with how good deeds done in the name of Evil are seen by God as righteous, and evil deeds done in his name lead to Hell. An interesting take, although clearly still quite biased. Basically all those kids in the beginning? They die in the real world at the end. Except the eldest, who's so obsessed with "boys and parties" that in avoiding death has been doomed to life without Narnia, i.e. ejected from Paradise.

Now, if you've read that and marveled at its absurdity, try reading Neil Gaiman's "The Problem of Susan". It's a short story expressing his personal distaste with the ending of the Narnia series and well...it's pretty ******** up. Gaiman's good at ******** up though.

Bonus fact: Taashbaan, the heathen land, is clearly an ape of the middle east and Muslim culture. Chew on that a bit.

And that is an issue that is addressed today as we fight in Irac, since a lot of people think the reason we're over there isn't soley for the oil, but a new religious crusade. rolleyes  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:50 pm
I loved those books when I was little! And I had no idea whatsoever about the christianity thing until a really religious friend of mine pointed it out in highschool. I had been re-reading the books (and really the world of Narnia is so amazingly vast and intricate... I envy his ability to make something so amazing) and she said it and then I saw all the little hints and blah blah. But really, if you look at it as just a story, its really just... an amazing story. My favorite one was Prince Caspian. Or... Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I believe thats what it was. I made me think a lot of the Odyssey and heart I loved it. So... I mean, yeah, I can see why people get all up in arms about the book but really... its just a book. Thats why it always makes me so tense when people are like "Yeah, the Bible is the truth, it all really happened ___ thousand years ago."

xp Its a story! Rawr.... I wanna write a really amazing world.... But all my ideas kinda run flat. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:20 am
I tried to read the Narnia books...but it bored me to death. Other than the blatent religious undertones, the style the writer wrote it disgusted me. I don't know....anything goes doesn't always work, you know?

I could get past a lion clapping his "Paws" together, but a lightpost growing out the ground? A horse becomes a Pegasus? I stopped reading after that.

Sanguvixen

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:33 pm
Sanguvixen

I could get past a lion clapping his "Paws" together, but a lightpost growing out the ground? A horse becomes a Pegasus? I stopped reading after that.

Was this "The Magician's Nephew" or "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?" They explained the lightpost thing in "The Magician's Nephew" in a way that canonically made more sense. Now, were you under ten years old? That makes a huge difference in one's acceptance of a weird tale. Have you read many books from that era in time? The vernacular of different eras always dates the book you're reading. Books from the early 1900s and back beyond seem "dry" and "boring" if one's unfamiliar with the style of speech.

I recently read a book in "Urban" style, written in the setting of Harlem NY. They used a lot of slang common in that area and in street culture. It could seem like the informality of it lead to it being the author's fault, but when you're familiar with the speech and culture even on a cursory level it stops being annoying via unfamiliarity and becomes a fascinating study into literary styles and local flavors.

Then again, I've written a lot with my author dad's advice (and plan to continue doing so professionally) and whenever I read anything I'm mostly studying sentence structure and personal spins. It helps to read not just to enjoy, but to learn. I suppose when I was seven I was reading just to read since I hadn't been published yet or even considered it at all.

Yes, I know the blatant Christian undertones can be annoying but really. There's a line between appreciating the quirks of something and liking it versus being disgusted by it. It's best not to take everything to utterly seriously.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:57 pm
I read it a while back and didn't like it.

I bought the book and tried to read it again. As a writer I can't stand his style(the author). It just comes across to me as strange that a book with religious undertones spouts just as much fantasy as LOTR.

I am familure with that style of writing. One of my favorite authors writes similar. I've seen it before. It is just...that in that book it was used rather strangley, and it put me off.

Sanguvixen

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:21 pm
Not everyones going to like every book out there. I just like the books because I always think of them as a childs perspective, or whims, brought to life. Has anyone seen "The Bridge to Terabithia"? Or however its spelled... Anyways, I really liked it, its got some amazing imagination in there and... Well, I always have to admit that I envy that kind of creativity. I can come up with stuff but it always feels like I'm taking someone elses ideas whether I am or not. *shrugs* But, ya know, whatever. I really like the Magic's Promise trilogy from Mercedes Lackey but I have a friend who hates the books. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:04 pm
I changed my screen name and avatar. Still same Aufstandkind who started the topic. razz I went insect-like out of my love for entomology. Way less expensive avatar. I still have my Whip of fire, Dark Halo, and Steel Officer's Cap though. I'm not that dumb. xp  

Dread Dionaea

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:12 am
I read the first few when I was a little kid.. maybe 8 or so, and never once noticed any undertones. I just thought they were cool stories.

When I got older and looked at them again... it's more than obvious =/

I felt a little betrayed at that.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:59 pm
PickleBoy
Not everyones going to like every book out there. I just like the books because I always think of them as a childs perspective, or whims, brought to life. Has anyone seen "The Bridge to Terabithia"? Or however its spelled... Anyways, I really liked it, its got some amazing imagination in there and... Well, I always have to admit that I envy that kind of creativity. I can come up with stuff but it always feels like I'm taking someone elses ideas whether I am or not. *shrugs* But, ya know, whatever. I really like the Magic's Promise trilogy from Mercedes Lackey but I have a friend who hates the books. lol

I loved the book "Bridge to Terabithia" when I was younger. I saw the first movie...and hated it.

I want to go see the new one in the theatres.

Did you know that that religious group who tries to get books banned has "Bridge to Terabithia" on thier list of books to ban, simply because they think the book inspires kids to create thier own religion?

Sanguvixen

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:13 am
I actually have read all of the books. My Mom's a huge C.S. Lewis fan. I will admit I found every one of those books enjoyable. gonk

Though, I read them in probably 4th or 5th grade. If I read them again now, I don't know what I'd think of them... sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
Yeah--I've been wanting to recently because of that Neil Gaiman story I mentioned earlier. He said in a forward before the story itself that he wrote it out of the frustration he felt with the ending of the Last Battle. He had read it to his daughter and was disgusted as a writer and a parent alike. Of course, read any of his stories and you will quickly see that he probably forbids his children to even touch them. xp

If only my birthday hadn't so recently come and gone I'd ask for a box set. As it stand I can't use my own money right now.  

Dread Dionaea

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:09 pm
You could always go to a library xD

I have the box set somewhere. I used to love those books. Maybe I'll read em again for the hell of it. :0
I read so much when I was younger. So my memories of books are all jumbled together. I don't remember ever picking up on a Christian theme.
I seem to usually be doing art history readings now. xP  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces