Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Things you said/thought before you became an Atheist. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shaded Spriter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm
I thought this might be an interesting conversation to have on the forum...Most people here have not been atheists all their lives and when they believed something different they proberly said something which would be out of the ordinary for them to say/do now.

So Let me start with my example...my one is something I still say now - but without as much meaning behind it as I did when I first Invented the phrase.

"God is the butterfly wings of the big bang creating the hurricane which is the human race."

I was agnostic when I first said that (saying this I believe I have been agnostic since I was about eight.) and I believed it to be a way to describe what an omnipotent God is, now I just think of it as a cool way to express what Chaos theory is.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:53 pm
Thats a really neat saying. I used to try to concieve how god could make rain. I dunno, I remember standing with my friend at the sink with a strainer, a strawberry box (the green plastic mesh ones) and we'd sift water through them, deciding which one would be what kind of storm. yes, I am a nerd.

And... I... was raised in a pretty liberal setting so I don't really remember ever being biased towards anything really.... My mother was an open person and she made sure that I was open about everything as well. And plus, as a child, I never really thought about that kinda thing. I had a childrens bible but... I always read it like a story book. I always loved Jonah and the Whale, only because it made no sense other than it was fun. *shrugs*  

PickleBoy

Shaded Spriter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:03 pm
I remember believing something similar...I can't remember exactly what enough...

Slightly off topic...looking at your signature - God (in the bible) is such a Mary-Sue.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:25 pm
Can't God cure cancer? sad  

The Candy Store Massacre

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Before I cemented myself as an Atheist I often said that "If you can't ask questions, and can't get good answers than it isn't worth caring about."

I've said that in different ways ever since I was little. I liked to ask questions, and if you can't get answers than why bother?

I kind of still think that way today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:39 pm
I remember when I was in 8th grade, my class went down to Washington D.C. on the coldest ******** day possible in January, and we participated in the March For Life.

>_>

<_<

Shut up.  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:15 am
The only time before I was actually atheist (that is, answering that I don't believe in any god when asked) was before anyone mentioned any religions to me, which would be further back than I remember. The first school that I went to was a Catholic school (because it was the closest one to where I lived).

Shaded Spriter
Slightly off topic...looking at your signature - God (in the bible) is such a Mary-Sue.

xd Good point. Then again, if you take into account all God's actions in the bible, he's a cruel god that killed people for all sorts of ridiculous reasons, which you can count as a flaw.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:49 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
Shaded Spriter

xd Good point. Then again, if you take into account all God's actions in the bible, he's a cruel god that killed people for all sorts of ridiculous reasons, which you can count as a flaw.

It is not a flaw in "the authors" eyes - because God was "doing what is best" at the time...  

Shaded Spriter

C.E.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 am
i actually cant remeber a time when i believed in somehting holy or even supernatural. my mom told me that when i was in preschool, i told her that santa clause... much like god... was completly irrational.
irrational was my favorite word when i was very very young.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 pm
When I was little my parents never tried to force religion down our throats, so I guess I believed in mythical creatures and I had a polytheistic point of view on religion, then the truth kicked in and now I'm an atheist.  

Llamalicious16

MeiGoddess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:22 pm
right before i really told my self im atheist i thought im gonna go to hell. but now im like w/e. thats better than spending my life worshiping something not there.

its like worshiping santa clause. you follow his 10 rules and if your bad you go to the south pole. if your good you go to the north pole w/ santa. but thats never gonna happen. just like Heaven and Hell are never gonna be there.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:47 pm
Ex-Deist.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanddru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:54 am
I've 'always' been an atheist actually

Even when I tried getting 'into' christianity
I never actually sat and thought 'Oh well, god must be real'
never
I just liked the stories the priest read xD

I've never, ever.. not once, in my life thought that there was a god
When I was younger I didnt think there WASNT one either though
religion just wasnt a part of my life
it was a couple years ago I started pondering, to find out what my oppinion was called
turned out, it was atheist ^^

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 pm
I always asked questions like, "How can something like Noah's Ark be possible when there's no way Noah could even know about half the animals that exist?" and "Why did the boy at school die from cancer when everyone prayed for him to get better?"
All I ever got were crap answers.  

sora987

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:44 am
I've always been an atheist.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items