Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Yes! A random Douglas Adams tangent! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Tetris.Ninja]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 pm
We are the HHG guild. I understand this completely. However, as true fans we should be hardcore appreciators of all of Adams's works.

Discussion:
~ Have you read any of Douglas Adams's other writings?
~ Do you think the Dirk Gently series (unfinished, je sais) rivals the HHG series in any way?
~ Have you ever gone out into the real world and used any of the definitions from 'The Meaning of Liff'?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:55 pm
I've read some of DNA's other stuff. Aside from the Guide, I've read both books in the Dirk Gently series, and The Salmon of Doubt. The end of SOD made me cry.

I'm not sure how you mean 'rival', but I think Dirk Gently's was a great series. I'm not sure it's as widely known as H2G2, however, probably because it doesn't exist in as many media formats as H2G2. Anyway, it's a great read, and anyone who hasn't yet read it, should.

Unfortuanatly, I havn't yet had the pleasure of reading The Meaning of Liff, or The Further Meaning of Liff, for that matter. One of these days when I have time and money I shall get my grubby hands on a copy, and enjoy it thoroughly. I fully intend to use the words as much as possible in everyday conversation. Just cause I like getting funny looks from people.

And as far as the depressing lack of posts on the part of some members, I have no idea. There once existed a certain dignity in attaining at least one dent of posts, and there was a thread for celebration of dent-reaching, but it seems to have died. Maybe someone could revive it on reaching their first dent of posts?
Edit: Wow. I just went and counted. 9 pages of members, and only 7 have at least 42 posts.  

Tinnumir

Periathien

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:15 pm
I like Dirk Gently a lot. I like that it's a bit more human. There was one passage where Adams was describing music and I almost cried because it was so beautiful. I think when it comes to humor I like HHG the best., but when uit comes to actually writing, Dirk Gently is much better. I plan to read Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul soon.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:47 pm
why oh why did salmon of doubt have to end?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
WHY?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? crying  

Jupiter-X

circuit sparks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:21 pm
I haven't read any of his other works yet. The libraries I've been to don't have it (they didn't even have H2G2... NOTHING AT ALL!) I'm waiting until I get a job so I can actually buy them. gonk

As for the lack of posts, I'm hoping it's a temporary aftereffect of the moviegasm this guild had experienced with all the excitement there was right before, during, and soon after it was released. Right now it's like the laying around smoking the post-moviegasm cigarette. Hopefully that'll wear off soon enough and more posts will be made. xd

(I for one have been silently active in my other guild, monitoring posts and such looking for n00bs and potential mods --n00bs not being the potential mods of course).. the other guild has a big n00b problem and I think it's getting sorted out.)

(And another note in parentheses: If anyone was wondering why that Zaphod Beeblebrox crew member person had no posts yet was crew.. that's my mule. xd I keep a mule around as a just in case thing.)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:18 pm
Tallest Red
I haven't read any of his other works yet. The libraries I've been to don't have it (they didn't even have H2G2... NOTHING AT ALL!) I'm waiting until I get a job so I can actually buy them. gonk

As for the lack of posts, I'm hoping it's a temporary aftereffect of the moviegasm this guild had experienced with all the excitement there was right before, during, and soon after it was released. Right now it's like the laying around smoking the post-moviegasm cigarette. Hopefully that'll wear off soon enough and more posts will be made. xd

(I for one have been silently active in my other guild, monitoring posts and such looking for n00bs and potential mods --n00bs not being the potential mods of course).. the other guild has a big n00b problem and I think it's getting sorted out.)

(And another note in parentheses: If anyone was wondering why that Zaphod Beeblebrox crew member person had no posts yet was crew.. that's my mule. xd I keep a mule around as a just in case thing.)

Ooohh, good word. Moviegasm. I like it. And good idea with the mule. Never know if it'll be needed. 3nodding

Good luck with your n00b problem!  

Tinnumir

[Tetris.Ninja]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 am
I need to get around to reading the Further Meaning of Liff. It was by pure chance that I found the Meaning of Liff in the first place really. One copy, behind two copies of a different book, in a bookstore.

I enjoy using the words and then getting weird looks.

I also need to get around to reading the Salmon of Doubt, that's much easier to find. I think a friend has it. But I have no cash, so no new books for me. gonk

(My local library system sucks)
(I'm trying to bring up my post count in guilds, because I don't post enough in any of my guilds, I'm part of 5)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:23 am
I have both Dirk Gently's (both read) and the Salmon of Doubt (also read)

You can't truly compare Dirk gently and the Guide, they're different genres (though both comedy aswell)

I also have the Meaning of Liff. Though I can't remember most of the definitions, I permamentally remember "Woking" and suffer from it quite often (though not just in the kitchen)  

Zoutout

Lupe_Oceana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:32 pm
I read The Salmon of Doubt and am doing my best to get ahold of the Dirk Gently books... stupid library doesn't have any of them... I have the world's crappiest library. razz I also read part of the Meaning of Liff but couldn't read the whole thing because it was at a bookstore and I had no money.

Has anyone read Last Chance to See? He wrote that with someone else, it's all about endangered species... this is another one the library is lacking, but I read an expert about the kakapo (a sort of flightless parrot). It was really interesting and also very sad.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:02 am
I own all of his books minus "Meaning of Liff" (bcuz its no longer in print) and "Deeper Meaning of Liff" (I NEED TWELVE DOLLARS THE HAVE IT AT BORDERS!!!) i also have his biography, and Starship Titanic, the book based on the PC game, Written by Terry Brooks from Monty Python. If you havent read Last Chance To See then u need to  

TenaciousDi

Milleia

Enduring Evader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:10 pm
I have not read his other works. o_o Although this thread urges me to go the nearest Barnes&Noble and check them out immediately.

This Salmon of Doubt sounds especially interesting. `-`  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:20 pm
I still need The Meaning of Liff books, the first Dirk Gently novel, and Last Chance to See. Also, you can buy The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts, but I'm not sure if I would get that or how hard it is to find.  

Clockwork Sun

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:01 pm
Have you read any of Douglas Adams's other writings?
All of them except for The Deeper Meaning of Liff and Last Chance to See (is that what it's called? I can't remember right now...)

Do you think the Dirk Gently series (unfinished, je sais) rivals the HHG series in any way?
Personally, I think the H2G2 series was much better (except for the last three books... I didn't like those ones). The first Dirk Gently novel was confusing, but I liked the second one.

Have you ever gone out into the real world and used any of the definitions from 'The Meaning of Liff'?
I'm embarassed to admit it, but yes. Namely "woking", "toronto" (I live in Canada, so I find that one quite amusing), "shoeburyness", and "lossiemouth".  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:59 pm
I own all of the books he has written, but I still haven't got around to reading all of them. I had a hard time finding them, but since THHGttG came out in theaters the book stores around me have had all of them in stock.  

Sleepy Snake

Invisible Exhibitionist

8,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Clockwork Sun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:51 am
psychotic emu
~ Have you ever gone out into the real world and used any of the definitions from 'The Meaning of Liff'?

Yes, actually. Piddletrenthide(sp?), toronto, elsrickle, massachusetts and huby. Of course, my words are from "The Deeper Meaning of Liff." Oh, and of course we can't forget liff. That's in there as well.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games