Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MemoryDragon
Crew

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:48 pm
Hey. I was just wondering if anyone else has picked up the English version of the Full Moon wo Sagashite manga. I just got it today at Suncoast (Apparently Walden Books does not get the manga till the end of the month, so it may just be a special release by Suncoast). Overall, I was pleased with how it was handled. Though the way they phrased some things (especially their translation of 'Shinigami' to 'Harbingers of Death') I didn't really care for.

The main thing I loved about this version though was they translated the manga-ka's ramblings. The fan versions I read never did, but it's so great that she's a Kingdom Hearts fan... She also talks about Harry Potter...

Anyone else's thoughts?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:03 pm
Harbingers of Death...? I wish they just stuck with the word 'shinigami'. I mean, they can stick the little translator label on the bottom, can't they? gonk

I haven't got the english manga yet but I probably won't since I can't go anywhere...

So how'd they do at translating the songs in the book? xd  

Leri
Vice Captain

MemoryDragon
Crew

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:24 pm
They call them both Shinigami and Habringers of Death, actually. That's just what they translated it to.

Well, I'm not much of a translator (I learned French, not Japanese...). But they called the song 'Ange', which I thought was really weird. Here's the translation.

"If I try to explain my wounds and my pain,
the tears well up and I want to cry.
You say nothing and turn away
So the moon lights your path and blinds me.

Sometimes I can't even look at your face
So full of sin, yet you still stay pure.

But it's true
You healed me that day
When I was drenched in the lashing rain.
I want to hold you here
Forever.

Someday
Someday you'll understand.
Why you were born with only one wing.
You're the reason
Why this song can be sung.
"  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:47 pm
MemoryDragon
They call them both Shinigami and Habringers of Death, actually. That's just what they translated it to.

You'd think Shinigami would be a lot easier than Habringers of Death (seriously, who came up with that? neutral ). I don't think Shinigami even translates into Habringers of Death..I thought it was Gods of Death or some such thing (I got that from reading Death Note). But I guess it's no use complaining about. *sigh*  

Rosalyrica

Dapper Dabbler

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:43 pm
I just got the book today (the last copy at my local bookstore... yay!) It was excellent. I wasn't too disturbed by the Harbingers of Death thing, since they used Shinigami later on. I was, however, a little disappointed with the translations of the song lyrics. They didn't make a lot of sense... that was my first impression. I don't know how I'll feel about them when I read it again. I loved reading Tanemura's comments... they were a lot of fun. biggrin I was really excited to learn that she's an HP fan. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:07 pm
Aisu-Kitsune
You'd think Shinigami would be a lot easier than Habringers of Death (seriously, who came up with that? neutral ). I don't think Shinigami even translates into Habringers of Death..I thought it was Gods of Death or some such thing (I got that from reading Death Note). But I guess it's no use complaining about. *sigh*

This one I do know. Shinigami literally means 'god of death' but has the general meaning of 'angel of death'. At least, none of the Shinigami I know are anywhere near god status.

Ways I've seen the word translated: Soul Reaper, God of Death, Angel of Death (though that's more the conclusion I have come to about the word, not really from any series I've seen). I think the dub of Yami no Matsuei also used something else, but I can't think of what it is at the moment...  

MemoryDragon
Crew

Witty Lunatic

DemonHunterNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:19 pm
I just got it yesterday, and I loved it. I found the translation of the dialog itself was really, really accurate. ^^; I actually don't mind the changes.. Shinigami, Harbringers of Death, it's the same thing at the end of the day... they could of butchered it more, but they didn't, and for that I'm thankful.

There were only two other different translations, both of which I'm not that worried over, which you guys didn't mention. Just thought I'd bring them up... anyway, they used Izumi Lio instead of Izumi Rio (although it could go either way, so I don't mind this one... they call him Izumi 90% of the time anyway, so it's not _that_ big of a deal, in my opinion) and they changed Gu-chan to Gut-chan. Which sounds almost exactly the same, as long as you say the 't' softly. And if you don't say it 'guht-chan' (like the word gut... as in, 'ow, you nailed me in the gut' xp sweatdrop ).

At any rate, I thought overall it was handled well. Now for volume two. whee

And yes, I think my favorite parts was the fact that Tanemura's comments were translated. They were a lot of fun to read. ^^;  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:29 pm
MemoryDragon
This one I do know. Shinigami literally means 'god of death' but has the general meaning of 'angel of death'. At least, none of the Shinigami I know are anywhere near god status.

I see. Well, in Death Note the shinigami are sort of considered gods...but in a way they aren't because their powers are limited to their Death Note (plus they're only purpose is to kill humans and they can die themselves). I've seen shinigami represented in many different ways so it's hard to say.  

Rosalyrica

Dapper Dabbler

MemoryDragon
Crew

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:44 pm
DemonHunterNaomi
I just got it yesterday, and I loved it. I found the translation of the dialog itself was really, really accurate. ^^; I actually don't mind the changes.. Shinigami, Harbringers of Death, it's the same thing at the end of the day... they could of butchered it more, but they didn't, and for that I'm thankful.

So true. I'm definintely counting my blessings on that one.

I've even made my little cousin start reading it. I'm slowly getting her into anime and FMwS is a great one to start with. It's also one of the few really girl-ish type mangas I own... Anything to keep her from watching Buffy 24/7 like she has been for the past three weeks. Nothing against the show, but there's only so much of it a normal person can take...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:07 pm
o_0!!! I'm definatly going to get the manga!!! *charges to the bookstore and suddenly remembers she can not drive* gonk AHHHHHAAAAAAAA crying oh well...i'll be content with my japanese version...

I never read the side story thingies...well sometimes i do, and soemtimes i dont. maybe i;ll read all of them now...>_< If it sounds interesting, maybe ill read it...*grabs FMWS manga* ok im gonna read now... xd  

akeikas
Captain

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 pm
DemonHunterNaomi
...and they changed Gu-chan to Gut-chan. Which sounds almost exactly the same, as long as you say the 't' softly. And if you don't say it 'guht-chan' (like the word gut... as in, 'ow, you nailed me in the gut' xp sweatdrop ).

I believe the reason they did this is because Gu-chan's name is written as GU (small tsu) CHAN in Japanese. (Ack, I tried to write it with Japanese characters and Gaia didn't like it.... D: ) This can be romanized as "Gucchan" or "Gutchan." Personally, I don't think they chose the right version, as it will cause pronunciation mistakes with new fans. Also, it makes it harder to understand the origin of the name (the GU in PIGGU.)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:06 pm
solarfacade
DemonHunterNaomi
...and they changed Gu-chan to Gut-chan. Which sounds almost exactly the same, as long as you say the 't' softly. And if you don't say it 'guht-chan' (like the word gut... as in, 'ow, you nailed me in the gut' xp sweatdrop ).

I believe the reason they did this is because Gu-chan's name is written as GU (small tsu) CHAN in Japanese. (Ack, I tried to write it with Japanese characters and Gaia didn't like it.... D: ) This can be romanized as "Gucchan" or "Gutchan." Personally, I don't think they chose the right version, as it will cause pronunciation mistakes with new fans. Also, it makes it harder to understand the origin of the name (the GU in PIGGU.)

See, that's the thing. I figured they translated it how you said, because I can see where they're coming from when they did that. The only problem is with what you added- the pronunciation issue. *shrugs* I guess we'll find out, if new fans start asking how to pronounce the name of Madoka's pig. xp  

DemonHunterNaomi

MemoryDragon
Crew

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:29 pm
Gut-chan or Gu-chan. It's better than nothing. wink Who knows. Maybe this will lead the way for the anime getting licenced. When I asked for it at Walden Books, I was told I was the tenth person to ask for FMwS. The more it seems there is a market for the show, the better our chances get.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:30 am
MemoryDragon
Aisu-Kitsune

Ways I've seen the word translated: Soul Reaper, God of Death, Angel of Death (though that's more the conclusion I have come to about the word, not really from any series I've seen). I think the dub of Yami no Matsuei also used something else, but I can't think of what it is at the moment...
Well, in the fansub version of YnM they used "Gaurdians of Death."

Really, all the translations of it means the same thing, so it doesn't bother me that much. Then again, I haven't gotten the manga yet. I'm planning on to either tomorrow or next weekends.

Ketsuruimaru

Omnipresent Heckler

8,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

akeikas
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:28 pm
Gut-chan? thats...erm..interesting. lol. xd  
Full Moon wo Sagashite

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]