Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheism AS religion? please. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In your point of view, is atheism a religion?
  Yes (please elaborate)
  Absolutely not.
View Results

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:42 pm
I'll make this brief.

I've encountered more times than I care to admit the argument from superstitious types that "atheism is its own religion." To me, this represents the worst sort of rhetoric - a cowardly attempt to play the hero, grabbing the "villian" by the lapels and whispering "We're the same, you and I!"

I counter that atheism is a LACK of belief and that the lack of someTHING is not inherently that THING. Any grade-schooler could understand this logic. Besides, within the anthropological framework, atheism does not meet the requirements of a religion.

Dawkins insists that "passion" should not be mistaken for doctrine.

Harris says, "An atheist is simply a person who has considered this claim (religion), read the books and found the claim to be ridiculous. One doesn’t have to take anything on faith, or be otherwise dogmatic, to reject unjustified religious beliefs."

Have you encountered this statement?
If so, how do you counter it?
Or do you believe that atheism is a "religion?"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:03 pm
I agree with the statement. Atheism is more of a way of thought and possesses almost none of the qualities that would label it a religion.

People who call it a religion are just trying to find ways to harass Atheists or trap them in their own rhetoric. Also, I found this humorous cartoon I would like to share with everyone.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:10 pm
Arios V
I agree with the statement. Atheism is more of a way of thought and possesses almost none of the qualities that would label it a religion.

People who call it a religion are just trying to find ways to harass Atheists or trap them in their own rhetoric. Also, I found this humorous cartoon I would like to share with everyone.

That comic was awesome - thanks for passing it along.

And thanks for your endorsement. I find it inconceivable that a religious person could find that particular argument to hold water. To me, it makes the least sense!

I don't have a "faith in nothing!" I have a faith in humanity's ability to work things out in the most rational way available to us.
And I refuse to surrender my logic to a comfortable scenario.
That's all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:19 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

That comic was awesome - thanks for passing it along.

And thanks for your endorsement. I find it inconceivable that a religious person could find that particular argument to hold water. To me, it makes the least sense!

I don't have a "faith in nothing!" I have a faith in humanity's ability to work things out in the most rational way available to us.
And I refuse to surrender my logic to a comfortable scenario.
That's all.

Welcome, the moment I saw that topic, I knew I had to bring up that cartoon.

Welcome again, I find it unbelievable too, then again, most of the religious people I know have such a narrow view point they can't see the world around them or understand something that's as obvious as the difference between night and day.

Also, I don't have a faith in nothing myself, I have faith in myself and humanities ability to think problems through rationally & logically. I'd rather die and be buried 6 feet under in the cold, hard earth before I ever surrender my logic, rationality, or belief that I am the one who will shape my path/destiny in life.  

Arios V

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:43 pm
It's because most people who grow up in Christian environments have never been exposed to atheism. They can't concieve of the notion that there's such a thing as "no system of faith".  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 pm
Arios V

I was going to post that.
>: (

Just kidding. >_<
People who think athieism as a religion obviously don't know the definition of religion.

cup_noodles

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:08 pm
cup_noodles
Arios V

I was going to post that.
>: (

Just kidding. >_<
People who think athieism as a religion obviously don't know the definition of religion.

Agreed  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 am
People find religion comforting because it absolves them of personal responsibility.

(All-Powerful Force) made you and made the universe. Everything is subject to the will of (All-Powerful Force). (All-Powerful Force) is omniscient and unquestionable, be it as an entity, a series of beings or mysterious forces. It is capricious and must be petitioned for favor.

Atheists find satisfaction in their *understanding,* their knowledge that Atheism is far more trustworthy and true than any playtime offerings from religion.

A religious person may quest their whole life for deeper knowledge, traveling to Mecca or praying at the Wailing Wall. An Atheist need only look into the mirror and know that they have found what they were seeking.  

Theophrastus

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:48 am
Well......poo..... stare you guys covered most of my points so my post will just seem redundant.

So, yeah, Atheism is not a religion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:53 pm
Nah. It's obviously not a religion under any reasonable definition of the word religion, no more than clear is a colour and an empty space is a computer.  

Redem

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:42 pm
redem
Nah. It's obviously not a religion under any reasonable definition of the word religion, no more than clear is a colour and an empty space is a computer.

Clear as color. Exactly.

I've often said it this way:
"Is drawing unemployment the same as having a job?"
I've thought it apt when you relate income to gratification. Atheists get the gratification (money) without having a life structured round some nonsense (a crap job).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:04 pm
Theophrastus
People find religion comforting because it absolves them of personal responsibility.

(All-Powerful Force) made you and made the universe. Everything is subject to the will of (All-Powerful Force). (All-Powerful Force) is omniscient and unquestionable, be it as an entity, a series of beings or mysterious forces. It is capricious and must be petitioned for favor.

Atheists find satisfaction in their *understanding,* their knowledge that Atheism is far more trustworthy and true than any playtime offerings from religion.

A religious person may quest their whole life for deeper knowledge, traveling to Mecca or praying at the Wailing Wall. An Atheist need only look into the mirror and know that they have found what they were seeking.

All of what you just said is what pretty much what my Dad says in one of his 2 hour lectures on religion and politics.  

Arios V

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:28 pm
No! Atheism is NOT A RELIGION!!!!!!! It's not our falt if the idiot christians can't see that. Dammit! Why can't everyone see that we don't want to be classified, and we don't want anything to do with religion?
(P.S.- I'm feeling kind of down right now, and it's begining to turn in to excessive swearing. I apologize.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:31 pm
Dark_lord_15
No! Atheism is NOT A RELIGION!!!!!!! It's not our falt if the idiot christians can't see that. Dammit! Why can't everyone see that we don't want to be classified, and we don't want anything to do with religion?
(P.S.- I'm feeling kind of down right now, and it's begining to turn in to excessive swearing. I apologize.)

Not a problem. If you want you can PM me and I'll see if I can help.  

Arios V

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces