Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Societies Obsession On Being Unnatirally Thin Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm
In this age we live in, I have noticed too many people complaining about how fat they are when they already look like they can use a Cheerio for a hula hoop. I really think that our society has gone over the line and is now defining healthy and beautiful as looking like you haven't eaten in days and being underweight.

Take me for example, I'm 6' 3" and roughly 260 lbs. According to the BMI (Body Mass Index) Scale, I am a 32.5, which means I am Obese. However, the BMI is calculated using only the person's weight and height and does not take into account people's body build, amount of daily activity, metabolic rate or anything. I am built like an American Football player (Running Back or Wide Reciever), meaning I'm rather Brawny and Muscular. On top of that, I am fairly active and have a moderately quick metabolism. If I was to follow the BMI Index on being healthy, I would probably have to be underweight for my Body Type. My doctor even told me that if I follow that scale, I would probably suffer from some health problems.

On another related note:

Recently, several schools/ counties across the country have begun to include students BMI's on their report cards and in some cases giving them some sort of grade because of it. Now it's already bad enough for one's self-esteem to see when you are failing classes, it's even worse when you see you're failing and that you've been labeled Obese. Personally, I think this is going to force some kids to start obsessing over their weight and becoming anorexic or bulimic in some cases to lose weight.

In closing: Society needs to quit obsessing over thinness. Also, you shouldn't worry about how you look, as long as you are happy with yourself, you're fine. You shouldn't go around changing yourself too much to make yourself appear as the definition of beautiful that our society now has.

I do apologize if I offended or opened any old wounds on anyone with my rant  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Arios V
In this age we live in, I have noticed too many people complaining about how fat they are when they already look like they can use a Cheerio for a hula hoop. I really think that our society has gone over the line and is now defining healthy and beautiful as looking like you haven't eaten in days and being underweight.

Take me for example, I'm 6' 3" and roughly 260 lbs. According to the BMI (Body Mass Index) Scale, I am a 32.5, which means I am Obese. However, the BMI is calculated using only the person's weight and height and does not take into account people's body build, amount of daily activity, metabolic rate or anything. I am built like an American Football player (Running Back or Wide Reciever), meaning I'm rather Brawny and Muscular. On top of that, I am fairly active and have a moderately quick metabolism. If I was to follow the BMI Index on being healthy, I would probably have to be underweight for my Body Type. My doctor even told me that if I follow that scale, I would probably suffer from some health problems.

On another related note:

Recently, several schools/ counties across the country have begun to include students BMI's on their report cards and in some cases giving them some sort of grade because of it. Now it's already bad enough for one's self-esteem to see when you are failing classes, it's even worse when you see you're failing and that you've been labeled Obese. Personally, I think this is going to force some kids to start obsessing over their weight and becoming anorexic or bulimic in some cases to lose weight.

In closing: Society needs to quit obsessing over thinness. Also, you shouldn't worry about how you look, as long as you are happy with yourself, you're fine. You shouldn't go around changing yourself too much to make yourself appear as the definition of beautiful that our society now has.

I do apologize if I offended or opened any old wounds on anyone with my rant

Holy sh*t.
People are giving students a grade on their BMI?!
What the hell is wrong with them?
I know obesity is a problem in the US but that's just stupid....
As if there weren't enough over self-concience kids out there.

I think we should stop obssessing over the Maxim magazine look and just accept the fact that you are who you are.
I can't be called thin, thin but I'm not big....
As a competitive swimmer I probably workout in a week than most people do in their lives.
But I just don't get any smaller. It's just me and I can't change that.
Now, obesity, that's a different story.
When the average pant size for woman in the US is a size 16.....
Houston we have a problem.
And it's not just the deep fried Twinkies.

cup_noodles

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:19 pm
Well, it is only a fad after all. Not too long ago "chunky" women were cosidered the ideal, now skinny is. I do agree that it's foolish to grade children on their weight.

As for me, I find a wide spectrum of weight classes appealing. All I need is a little T&A.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:53 am
I'm a size sixteen... crying Its hard to lose weight. Especially when theres no real motivator for me. *sniffle*

And the big anorexic boom was in the nineties. If what you see now is bothering you? Then damn, don't look back at Alley McBeal (or however its spelled).  

PickleBoy

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:06 am
The crap thing is that to be thin (relative to your build, metabolism, etc) is a very good thing. But no one in America seems to approach it in the right way; they have a skewed point of view due to a million discrete influences regarding food consumption. As a result, food is fetishized to an absurd degree.
My Metaphor ~ Your unethical therapist convinces you that your father must've molested you, though he did no such thing. You believe your therapist must know what she's talking about and your relationship with your dad is ******** up from then on.
Food is your dad, in this situation.
You and food should be having a healthy relationship but mitigating circumstances ******** it all to hell.

With an interest in nutritional anthropology, my advice is to simply eat the way our bodies were meant to eat - like our hunter-forager ancestors did:
Lots of vegetation, Less meat, and tons of low impact exercise (walking).

But I also have a serious problem with the trend of the clinically obese insisting that having a large body is "normal" or even desirable. Saying that "real women have curves" is absolute s**t.
That translates to: "I'm ashamed of my size and/or complete lack of self-control and am making a cheap bid for self-esteem by taking that which I'm ashamed of and turning it into a positive! You're not a true female unless you're enormous because 'real' women can't control their food intake."

This is just as detrimental to our society's relationship with food as is unnaturally thin people. It's giving millions of women the go-ahead to feel good about being overweight.

I'm only 100lbs but I have C-cups and an a** that sticks out. So, what does that make me? I'm not a real anything. Except a real smartie.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 pm
Dathu
Well, it is only a fad after all. Not too long ago "chunky" women were cosidered the ideal, now skinny is.

"Not too long ago?"
How recent in the past are you talkin?
Cause I think a slender figure has been considered beautiful for so long, there may be no turning back.  

hachimitsugirl

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:25 pm
hachimitsugirl
Dathu
Well, it is only a fad after all. Not too long ago "chunky" women were cosidered the ideal, now skinny is.

"Not too long ago?"
Cause I think a slender figure has been considered beautiful for so long, there may be no turning back.

Well, let's see. I think durring the renesaunce (spelling?) in France thick women were attractive, and I know that acient greeks liked bigger girls. The reason is because thin girls were girls that couldn't afford a luxurious life style. So if you were chunky it was rare and a sign of wealth. Even if you just look back to the 1950, girls who were pin ups were still a little thick. Marylin Monroe (spelling?) was chunky by today's standards. Besides, the super thin look is already underfire. People all over are complaining about how most starlets are way too skinny. As I said, fat or skinny isn't important to me. Health is. So if you're too skinny or too fat, you're unhealthy. If you're healthy you're cool with me. domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:32 pm
PickleBoy
I'm a size sixteen... crying Its hard to lose weight. Especially when theres no real motivator for me. *sniffle*

And the big anorexic boom was in the nineties. If what you see now is bothering you? Then damn, don't look back at Alley McBeal (or however its spelled).

It's not bothering me, I'm just finding it to be rather stupid, that society puts too much emphasis on being "Supermodel Thin". Also I am aware of the fact that many countries have now installed programs where Models can not be below a certain weight and size.

@Hachimitsu: Ok.... I'll just shut up now and go back to the corner and quit wasting everyones time with my heavily opinionated, unintelligent bullshit.  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Arios V
@Hachimitsu: Ok.... I'll just shut up now and go back to the corner and quit wasting everyones time with my heavily opinionated, unintelligent bullshit.

What's that supposed to mean?
Did I say something that got you all bent?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:44 pm
Dathu
hachimitsugirl
Dathu

"Not too long ago?"

Well, let's see. I think durring the renesaunce (spelling?) in France thick women were attractive, and I know that acient greeks liked bigger girls. The reason is because thin girls were girls that couldn't afford a luxurious life style. So if you were chunky it was rare and a sign of wealth. Even if you just look back to the 1950, girls who were pin ups were still a little thick. Marylin Monroe (spelling?) was chunky by today's standards. Besides, the super thin look is already underfire. People all over are complaining about how most starlets are way too skinny. As I said, fat or skinny isn't important to me. Health is. So if you're too skinny or too fat, you're unhealthy. If you're healthy you're cool with me. domokun

Yeah, I'm very aware that fat used to be a sign of wealth. Thanks.

I was just asking which "recent past" you were referring to.

hachimitsugirl

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:52 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

No I've got rather low self-esteem, so I take my frustration from having little self-esteem out on everyone, don't take it personally. It's from all the years I got tortured physically and mentally. Being beaten and set on fire really does wonders for your self esteem, especially when you're still in your early childhood.

Also, I've thought a lot about all that I have said while I have been in this guild, and it seems like all I've ever said is heavily opinionated, unintelligent and just sounds like I'm changing my opinion and story everytime.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:57 pm
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

No I've got rather low self-esteem, so I take my frustration from having little self-esteem out on everyone, don't take it personally. It's from all the years I got tortured physically and mentally. Being beaten and set on fire really does wonders for your self esteem, especially when you're still in your early childhood.

Also, I've thought a lot about all that I have said while I have been in this guild, and it seems like all I've ever said is heavily opinionated, unintelligent and just sounds like I'm changing my opinion and story everytime.

Ok. I won't take it personally.

And I don't think anyone would say you sound unintelligent. And being heavily opinionated is pretty much a prerequisite for taking the time to type anything out - I think that applies to everyone here.  

hachimitsugirl

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:13 pm
hachimitsugirl
Dathu

sweatdrop My bad if that sounded smart assy. I was really just rambling off the top of my head. I tend to understate and exagerate time, so I guess I ment not too long ago as in the 1950's and 300 years ago. Sorry if I sounded shitty. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:18 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

Ok. I won't take it personally.

And I don't think anyone would say you sound unintelligent. And being heavily opinionated is pretty much a prerequisite for taking the time to type anything out - I think that applies to everyone here.

Thanx, making me feel a little better.  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:19 pm
Dathu
hachimitsugirl
Dathu

sweatdrop My bad if that sounded smart assy. I was really just rambling off the top of my head. I tend to understate and exagerate time, so I guess I ment not too long ago as in the 1950's and 300 years ago. Sorry if I sounded shitty. sweatdrop

It's kool!
I dare anyone to throw a bunch of smarties in a room and not have them let some uppity language slip out.
I either have been or will be doing the same, I'm sure. heart  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces