Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Kirk Cameron Will Disprove Evolution on His Show Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Ivan Drago

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:59 pm
http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/385522925.html

rofl

I love stuff like this. I cannot wait for all of the real scientists to respond.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:24 pm
That bullshit link
Cameron ("Growing Pains" sitcom and Left Behind movies) will speak on what he believes is a major catalyst for atheism: Darwinian evolution. The popular actor stated, "Evolution is unscientific. In reality, it is a blind faith that's preached with religious zeal as the gospel truth. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was once a naïve believer in the theory. The issue of intelligent design is extremely relevant at the moment. Atheism has become very popular in universities--where it's taught that we evolved from animals and that there are no moral absolutes. So we shouldn't be surprised when there are school shootings. Cameron will also reveal what it was that convinced him that God did exist.

What does darwinism have to do with school shootings? The two are simply not related.  

God of lunchboxes

Cirosan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:27 pm
As Sayid Jarrah would say, "Stop right there." I'm going to tackle each one of their statements logically and refute them.

"Evolution is unscientific."

No. Actually, it's based on science itself. Evolution is actually proven, and is an observed process. Don't believe me? You yourself prove it every year on the year with flu shots. Know why you have to be vaccinated every year? Bacteria evolves to a more virulent strain. In addition, take a look at life expectancies in past generations compared to this one. What was the average life expectancy 200 years ago, barring illness? 40? Maybe 50? What is it now, barring illness? 80? Maybe 100 if you're extraordinary healthy and lucky? That, sir, is evolution at work, advancing human's bodies and minds to become stronger and smarter.

"In reality, it is a blind faith that's preached with religious zeal as the gospel truth. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was once a naïve believer in the theory."

I believe you're confusing evolution with religion, sir. Nevertheless, I believe in evolution with "blind faith" because I've seen it in process. I believe in gravity with "blind faith" for the same reasons. And, sir, it is not blasphemous to believe in evolution. A local church where I live recently revised their position on it as well, viewing it as "God's plan for upgrades." I believe you should do the same, and fight for a more worthy cause, such as world peace, fighting world hunger, curing cancer, et cetera.

"Atheism has become very popular in universities--where it's taught that we evolved from animals and that there are no moral absolutes. So we shouldn't be surprised when there are school shootings."

Stop it! Stop right there! You, sir, have crossed the line! There are indeed no moral absolutes -- they vary from person to person! Further, you have no right to blame the tragic deaths of innocent people on a system of doctrines and beliefs! Evolution and Atheism is in no way associated with nor responsible for school shootings! The textbook definition of Atheism is "the doctrine or belief that there is no God." The textbook definition of biological evolution is "a change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift." No where in there does it say anything to the effect of "the doctrine or belief in killing or harming others." They are beliefs and doctrines, like yours.

"Most people equate atheism with intellectualism, but it's actually an intellectual embarrassment. I am amazed at how many people think that God's existence is a matter of faith. It's not, and I will prove it at the debate - once and for all. This is not a joke. I will present undeniable scientific proof that God exists."

No sort of religious (or lack thereof) belief is an intellectual benefit nor detriment. Religion (or lack thereof) is about finding what's right for you, what you can believe in, and ultimately what will answer life's great mysteries for you. Beliefs and doctrines do not effect intelligence. No belief offers a benefit nor detriment to intelligence.

"But, there is something more sinister here than a few people not believing in God. Why would so many be so bitter against Christianity in particular? Why aren't they making videos that blaspheme Buddha or Mohammed or Ghandi? We made our own video clip and posted it on www.Hollywoodblasphemy.com to expose why."

Possibly because it is Christians and Christians alone who discriminate against Atheists? I'll be the first to admit that not all Christians are bigots, rather it is quite the contrary, but every time I have been ostracized for being an Atheist, the attacker has been a Christian. The blasphemy against God was a display of Atheist's strength's in their own beliefs. Those who participated in that display chose to blaspheme the Christian god because she/he/it is the most mainstream and popular god, and therefore the most powerful display of their strength in their beliefs.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 pm
Wow, Kirk Cameron's actually serious? And here I always thought Way of the Master was a satirical show... lol  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

JakRandom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:04 pm
Looks like Cirosan coved all the major points, I guess the only thing left to say is that Growing Pains was never that good in the first place.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:18 am
Honestly, I expect Cameron to wipe the floor with them. Such things are usually won on debating skills and trick questions, not on the evidence presented.

But we shall see.  

Redem

Zealous Blue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:02 pm
Quote:
Why aren't they making videos that blaspheme Buddha or Mohammed or Ghandi?

Yeah, well, they're minorities and generally don't rub their religion in our faces.

And have you ever met/talked to a Buddhist who wasn't willing to accept science or reason?

Quote:
According to recent polls 12% of Americans do not have a belief in a Higher Power, up from 8% in 1987 (that group includes agnostics).

Ooooh! That's making a huge dent in their Christian regime.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:49 pm
i'm tired and sick of these bullshits.
look, u theists just believe in god,
and we atheists just don't,
STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE US AND CONTROL US.  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:01 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
i'm tired and sick of these bullshits.
look, u theists just believe in god,
and we atheists just don't,
STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE US AND CONTROL US.

Agreed.

You believe, we don't. Get over it and go live your lives.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:12 pm
My browser refused to load the link to the Christian Wire.

I think it's trying to tell me something. rofl  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Redem

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:44 pm
Anyone know how this "debate" went?  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:21 pm
Heh, I love how Kirk Cameron thinks so much of himself. He was just an actor from a shitty 80's sitcom, why does he even dare to think anyone considers him a threat? rolleyes  

Orson Welles

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 am
Redem
Anyone know how this "debate" went?

Short and sweet version can be found here.

They mopped the floor with Kirk and Ray.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:43 am
Yeah I found this really neat response on the debate from a Christian, in an email to the Rational Responders (the atheist side), posted on their site:
Here.
I was going to post it earlier but I wasn't quite a member of the guild yet. I thought it was awesome, and kind of what I expected.

So yeah, and heres my first post. blaugh  

GlitteringGalaxy

Sparkly Nerd

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:49 am
Oooh, you bumped with original content. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff