Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I need someone to sum up why god does not exsist Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Virus Core Is a Meme

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:19 pm
I need to re-confirm my atheist in me, Please sum up why god is not real  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:13 pm
All i need to know that proves to me that god does not exist is the adjectives that currently describe it: Omniscient, and omnipotent, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, benevolent, merciful and loving.

If, however, our ancestors would have described it as the creator of evil and good, a being that is moral, but immoral too, or a being who once managed to create life on this planet, and just does not give a s**t about it anymore... i'd be more inclined to believe the bullshit.

Nevertheless, i will wait for someone smarter than me that can sum up convictions that i'm pretty sure will speak for me too. (i gave up the concept of "originality" or "individuality" a long, long time ago.)  

AnonymouZ

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:15 pm
I find it rather hard to do that..

Being and atheist is expressing your own thought as to why there is no God, my reason different then most of the religion bashing exaples out there, I felt my grandmother, who had cancer for 12 years, could have been saved. I prayed daily, but of course to no avail, as she steadily worsened. When she passed away, that was the turning point, I felt that there either was no God, or had abandoned me, and the first felt more comforting at the time. That's my reason, there is no summing of why god doesn't exist yet I'm an atheist.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:29 pm
It depends on which god your talking about.  

Lethkhar

[x] Natasha [x]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:30 am
Well as I'm currently revising for my religious exam I'm not the best person to ask. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:17 pm
As atheists, we rely on logic to tell us what is reality and what is not. If we find an idea illogical, we continue to believe it is false, unless we are proven wrong. Most religious people that I have met base their reality on logic and faith. And for the most part, faith overrules logic. Definition of faith: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. Because of these different standards of viewing reality, opposite sides cannot communicate clearly on the agreement of the existence of God or another higher being.  

LadyDarcia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:32 pm
The only person who can give the answer as to why god isn't real, is the one asking the question. That would be you, because it's sort of a personal thing. Why god isn't real to me might be completely different than why he is not real for you.

Personally I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in dragons. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:45 pm
God isn't real because... he isn't.
dammit, I sound just like a christian.

God isn't real because no matter how hard you pray, no matter how much you devote yourself, nothing is going to happen. Nobody likes you enough to listen to you whine about what's wrong in your life, and if you meet somebody who will listen to every single complaint that pops out of your mouth, please let me know. If God were real, we would be like "Adam and Eve" right now. God would have the power to keep us in line. If he really wanted people to worship him, he would take away their free will. If God were real, he would be down here with us, instead of up in the sky telling everyone he's better than them.
God isn't real, because people die every day, people kill each other over him all of the time, and if he were real, he would most certainly stop it. God isn't real because there is no heaven or hell. There is no place for them. We've been to space, we know. That would have ot be one hell of an optical illusion to hide a "eutopia".

That's why god isn't real, in my opinion.

Dark_lord_15

Cirosan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm
God is not real because of the tragedies that take place every second of every day. To see children born into the world with crippling diseases, doomed to live their few short years of life in misery, the psychopaths who kill the innocent, the hopeful have their dreams destroyed and the bigots have everything they ever wanted, those in their darkest hour who need a ray of hope and prosperity to pull them short of the abyss get none, and the good die young while the evil live forever is my proof that there is no sort of loving god. A malevolent one, perhaps, but none of the benevolent kind.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:22 pm
This will take to long, and I'm lazeh.  

God of lunchboxes

Fuzzy Kittens

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:36 pm
Someone already said this (kind of) and it doesn't really sum up why God (assuming you're talking about the god that hates America) doesn't exist, but I find it funny.

If there is evil in the world, and God is never where there is evil, how can he be omniscient?

If God were omnipotent, then surely he could create a stone so heavy even he could not lift it. But if there existed a stone so heavy even God could not lift it, then how could he be ominipotent?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm
I recommend the book "The God Delusion" By Richard Dawkins.
Quote:
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

More importantly;
Quote:
Things in the world, especially living things, look as though they have been designed. Nothing that we know looks designed unless it is designed. Therefore there must have been a designer, and we call him God.*
* I cannot help being reminded of the immortal syllogism that was smuggled into a Euclidean proof by a schoolfriend, when we were studying geometry together: "Triangle ABC looks isosceles. Therefore..."

Please, read The God Delusion. I have not read it fully myself, but it is very, very good at fortifying atheism.

Also, omniscience and omnipotence don't really go together. To paraphrase (somewhat) Dawkins once more, if he was omniscient, he would be able to know what he will do in the future, and be able to prevent things such as the "Apple event" (Hitsugaya's name for it.) and the whole "Satan" thing.  

Death God Hitsugaya

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:24 pm
I know that if God does exist, he's a laugh.

Why?

Because every time I begged and prayed and cried for things as a faithful Christian, I was left disappointed.

But every time I decided to do something for myself, even if I failed, I learned and grew. Every good thing around me is the doing of own hands, and I rest easy, proud of what the human can do over what the God cannot.

Besides, you don't need me to prove that there is a giant tyrannosaurus in your a**. You accept that, though possible (in the sense of a ten followed by a tiny 40 or so), it is highly unlikely, because there has never been evidence or proof of such (and if there has, I'm sorry for you a**. :3). It's no different with that invisible sky-daddy.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:23 am
The whole thing's a matter of faith. Of course, if you say that faith is your only reason for believing something, then you have to admit that you have no way to prove what you're saying. And since atheism is the default position (because no one is born with a religious belief), the burden of proof is on the person offering their religion. We don't have to offer proof that the Great Fettuccine Dragon of Alabama doesn't exist. So why shouldn't the same be said of God?  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:47 pm
This video wins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items