Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Apocalypse Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:33 pm
Okay, all good things have to come to an end, and there's no doubt in my mind that one day, the human race will be wiped out by one (or more) of the following scenarios:

-Global thermonuclear war
-Sun becomes red giant, engulfs planet
-Cataclysmic meteor
-Hostile alien invasion
-Global computer failure (the real deal this time)
-T-virus outbreak

Anyone who's seen Penn & Teller's series Bullshit on Showtime may be familiar with the "End of the World" episode. In it, they say the number often cited for human casualty is 60-80%. Assuming sixty to eighty percent of humanity will die, what would you do? Also, what would be the most entertaining way to go?  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:58 pm
Assuming that the 60-80% includes Kirk Cameron, I'll be out buying fireworks.

ProjectOmicron88
Also, what would be the most entertaining way to go?

Hmm... Maybe we'll get hammered to death by Quakers. Or have our throats slit with violin bows. You know, fun stuff like that.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Alphabet Whore

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:21 am
ProjectOmicron88

What does that mean, 'the real deal this time'?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:34 pm
+Pershiw+
ProjectOmicron88

What does that mean, 'the real deal this time'?

As opposed to the bull that was Y2K.  

ProjectOmicron88

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:40 pm
Well, assuming I'm not part of the 80 to 60 percent that die I'd say I'd probably try to continue living, learn and adapt.

But I think the most interesting way to go would be through a hostile alien invasion. I can just imagine retaliating. Fun!  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:07 pm
Hmm. The first two thirds of the book (not the shitty movie) The Postman were a fun look into that.

Idunno...hole up with some right wing militants, slowly seduce them to Atheism, then become their charismatic leader? biggrin  

Theophrastus

CountGrishnak

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:00 am
If we were to die off like that, we would probably keep going. Is that population decrease enough to keep man kind going? No. We will probably go into extinction and all become neo - barbarians.. And die off after a while.

It'd be crazy to have an alien attack even though I think we'll destroy each other before anything else does.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:24 am
I'd certainly love to see the major computer failure one!! Not necessarily the whole Y2k, everything stops working so everyone dies type thing, but something along the vein of Tron where everyone get sucked into a computer and then get de-rezzed or summat!

just so i could play light cycles first hand ;pp

but yeah, i am way too much in love with that film!! (blame it on playing KH2 for eight hours straight this morning reawakening my love!!)  

Myrphomatic

-CarelessMemories-

7,550 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:50 am
Myrphomatic
I'd certainly love to see the major computer failure one!! Not necessarily the whole Y2k, everything stops working so everyone dies type thing, but something along the vein of Tron where everyone get sucked into a computer and then get de-rezzed or summat!

just so i could play light cycles first hand ;pp

but yeah, i am way too much in love with that film!! (blame it on playing KH2 for eight hours straight this morning reawakening my love!!)

Eight hours?!?! I didn't know you were on for that long!

Tron, to put it bluntly, sucks.

I'd rather be impaled on the end of Demyx's sitar than watch that film.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:35 am
I think the best way to go out would be in an all-out war with aliens. I'm telling you, we need a Lunar base!  

Baron von Turkeypants

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm
Go T-virus, Zombies nocking at the door would be an interesting why to die.

O-KAMI-SAMA

Going Guns Blazing  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:15 pm
Mmmm, zombies.

Boxheard 2play FTW.  

Theophrastus

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:06 am
Ever consider that the end of life on earth with start with the beginning of living outside our planet?

If we eventually migrate off of our planet one day...that could be considered an "End of the world" right there. Although the world didn't really end, we just left it.

The most fun way to go out? Hmmm...a big boom?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:23 am
Sanguvixen
Ever consider that the end of life on earth with start with the beginning of living outside our planet?

If we eventually migrate off of our planet one day...that could be considered an "End of the world" right there. Although the world didn't really end, we just left it.

The most fun way to go out? Hmmm...a big boom?
Have you read any of Isaac Asimov's novels?  

Baron von Turkeypants

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 pm
A nice end of the world would be as George Carlin described it in his act "Life is worth loosing". Good for uncle Dave. (Go find it stolen on youtube!)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff