Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
US Marines: A Religious Organization? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:02 pm
I saw a bumper sticker that said:

It's God's job to judge the terrorists.
It's our job to arrange the meeting.
US Marines

I read that and said, "Ew." Then I thought about it for a few more seconds and said, "EEWWW!"

If death itself isn't a punishment, and all humans die anyway, why bother killing them?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:24 pm
It's very hard in America to separate military or other deadly force groups from religious convictions. The power behind this is that an otherwise reasonable person who may abhor murder would suddenly be happy to pull the trigger when they feel their religious ideals are threatened.

Does anyone else see the eerie implications there?  

Theophrastus

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:00 pm
Theophrastus
It's very hard in America to separate military or other deadly force groups from religious convictions. The power behind this is that an otherwise reasonable person who may abhor murder would suddenly be happy to pull the trigger when they feel their religious ideals are threatened.

Strength through purity,
purity through faith.

Norsefire propaganda (V for Vandetta)

If you can say it's Gods will you can get alot of crazy mofos to do whatever you say. A very famous man used the same concept in the 1940s.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:01 pm
It's a call to redneck patriotism and a reminder that the U.S. Marines are, despite criticism, genuinely "badass".  

Tenth Speed Writer

Cirosan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:25 pm
It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. Encourage an otherwise cowardly soldier to kill the enemy using religion. I personally think that's despicable, seeing as how faith is supposed to be about hope, not about motivation to kill people.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:30 pm
Cirosan
It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. Encourage an otherwise cowardly soldier to kill the enemy using religion. I personally think that's despicable, seeing as how faith is supposed to be about hope, not about motivation to kill people.

Such things have always been done. That 6th commandment is always ignored.  

God of lunchboxes

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:49 pm
Theophrastus

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." --Pascal

When you think about it though, Marines are part of an organization in which all members are trained to be the best at taking lives. Reinforcing a belief in God helps to soften the blow, and make the fate of death seem like less of a shocking occurrence.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 pm
I think this would be a good time for the Marines to change their motto:

"Allahu Akbar!"  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:10 pm
Relax.

Like I said, it's REDNECK PATRIOTISM on a BUMPER STICKER.
It's made to be funny.
This is about as bad as watching someone from the far right pick apart why D&D is satanic.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Luckily Canada has no military worth being proud of, so we don't have such redneck patriotism, cause our governement is full of idiots. 'Nuff said, redneck patriotism just makes me want to kill people.  

Death God Hitsugaya

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:22 am
Death God Hitsugaya
Luckily Canada has no military worth being proud of, so we don't have such redneck patriotism, cause our governement is full of idiots. 'Nuff said, redneck patriotism just makes me want to kill people.
It actually does its job pretty well. It drives in the whole "We're one of the toughest fighting forces in the western world and we KNOW IT" attitude, which is sort of a big part of it on the civilian front. You think the U.S. Marine Corps receive nearly as many new recruits from the groups they want if they didn't have the public image that they do?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:54 am
I must disagree with all of you. It's just a slogan, they arent necessarily a religious organization. I mean come on! Look at it, if you ask me that's pretty bad a**. God judges souls, the marines arrange the meeting.

I find the whole "redneck patriotism" just a tad offensive.

I do have to agree with ProjectOmicron88, religion is about hope, the hope too be forgiven in this case. The US Marines are trained to kill, and they do their jobs well. With a belief in God it's kind of a reassurance.  

[Hollow Point]

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:47 am
[Hollow Point]
I must disagree with all of you. It's just a slogan, they arent necessarily a religious organization. I mean come on! Look at it, if you ask me that's pretty bad a**. God judges souls, the marines arrange the meeting.

I do have to agree with ProjectOmicron88, religion is about hope, the hope too be forgiven in this case. The US Marines are trained to kill, and they do their jobs well. With a belief in God it's kind of a reassurance.

Well, I didn't really mean it as a "hope" thing. It's more of a way to keep them from going the way of Gomer Pyle if they think there's a higher reason to fight. It's intended to be more of an illusion than anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:31 pm
[Hollow Point]

Pardon if it is. Considering that most of those I interact with fit into the criteria of "redneck patriots", I find it somewhat amusing.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 am
Heh... actually, that sticker's kind of bad-a**. blaugh  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items