Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Were you converted? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well?
No, atheist for life...
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Yes, I did believe...
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 25

Jediwannabe353

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:05 pm
I used to be a VERY devout Christian... until I came to my senses and became an Atheist...

Did you use to believe in a god, and if so, how were you converted.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:52 am
Jediwannabe353
I used to be a VERY devout Christian... untill I came to my senses and became an atheist...

Just a quick off-topic question.

What do you mean, "came to your senses"? What exactly was it that you realized?

BTW: I was never religious; I knew very little about any religion until recently.  

Mechanism

[Satan]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:25 am
I was never baptised, so I can't exactly say I had to convert.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:36 am
I was raised Jewish, but not strictly so. I was never very religious, but I did belive in god for a long time. It took me a while to realize that it just didn't work for me. I just lost my faith one bit at a time, and I realized that there was no point in me pretending that I believed in god. However, I don't adhere to "strict" atheism, either. I consider myself an eclectic, for the most part.  

Zombugger

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:23 am
I started off agnostic, then became very religious, but when I decided I wanted to know all there was about christianity, I ended up finding out it was false (4 mo info c my journal). I would call it "coming to our senses" since religion is an illusion. I know a little atheist in this guild would argue that illusion is a point of view, but I don't believe in possible truths. I believe in one absolute truth, but people can veiw that truth many different ways. However, no matter how it is viewed, the truth is unchanged, just not fully realized. Hense, I believe athiesm to be the truth.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:25 am
My mother believes in god, my father hates churches and doesn't know if he believes in god. So my mother never took my to church, she never read me the bible or anything like a reagion was never in my house. ((Well I think I had a beginer bible for a 5 yr old I still have)) She thinks I should believe in god just becuase it shoudl be in my soul. Some kinda "crap" Like that.
Its really weird, I never really had to be converted becuase I never really had a religion. Now I am atheist and my mother now knows, which I am starting to think is not a good thing, becuase she throws it in my face evenever she can.
I still go to chrch with my friends sometimes after a sleepover, or when I feel like it.

illegal-substance

Jediwannabe353

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:02 pm
I realised how very illogical the idea of a god was... and how gullible most religious people are. I realized that faith and gullibility were the same thing, and that religion was nothing more than a banner to justify ones actions... more people have been killed in the name of a god than in any other cause.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:47 am
Nope. I was atheist since my parents first explained the idea of god to me. I asked so many questions, all of which eventually pointed to one answer: god does not exist.

Ah, I love my life.  

Rev Shrubbery

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:26 pm
I was brought up Christian. I explained this in a lot more detail in another thread around here somewhere, but I just eventually started having alot of doubts. All my friends and everyone else I knew where all Christian. Most weren't exactly devout though. My mom's pretty devout, but my dad and older brother never go to church.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:36 pm
I was baptized as a catholic, but wasn't raised too strictly about religion (I actually never been to church. To a mass at least). I used to believe in god as a child, but as a lot of people to today, I only came to him when I was in need. That is, 'please god, let me pass on the math exam' or 'please god, make mom buy me that toy I've been wanting', that kinda thing. Or even the suggestion of comfort through god: my grandmother told me that, when trying to get to sleep, whenever I felt scared or afraid, I should do a 'cross' sign with my fingers on my forehead, then do the same on my pillow, and god would watch over me that night.

That's actually why I support the theory that most people are religious today mostly not because they believe in everything in the bible and etc., but because the religious thought is a lot more soothing that reality mostly is.

But as the time went by, I started to question said god. After I realized most of the 'answers' I came to, or I was given didn't really make much sense beyond blind faith, I turned agnostic, mostly because I wasn't ready to give up on an idea that I've been taught ever since I can remember - that there was a god out there.

A few years after that, I finally turned completely atheist, and here I am.  

MightyHikaru

kandi_queen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:57 pm
I was a very devout pentacostal christian. I had even considered becoming a missionary. A few things caused my change. I read a book that made me start reading up on a philosphy that is found in that book series. I took on most, but not all of the aspects of that philosophy for myself. Later, a friend that lives by that philosophy and I debated religious topics. He made more sense than I had ever heard. I began to reconsider my beliefs. I had always had doubts about certain things I found unsatisfactory in the bible. When I really considered all of the facts that I had available to me, I realized that christianity was ridiculous. Not only that, I found that I am morally opposed to many biblical teachings. And that the "god" of christianity is very tyrannical. I do not support tyranny in any form.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:33 am
Lesidia
Nope. I was atheist since my parents first explained the idea of god to me. I asked so many questions, all of which eventually pointed to one answer: god does not exist.

Ah, I love my life.

People who ask questions and challenge ideas tend to be smarter.
I hope my children will be like that.  

Mechanism

Bountylich_Chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:41 am
WOW... I gues I'm the only one that has been pure Atheist...
I only learn alot about religion because of all my friends around me, I never believed in something that deserve worshipping in my entire life, because I found it pointless, not pethetic just pointless to waste my time.

Also, the fact that there has never been true evidence, when I say true evidence I mean, any non coincidence type of evidence like, a video tape of Simon killing some because he didn't do what Simon said.

All there was was just a simple bible with alot of blabber, which came in handy only, but no evidence saying the person on the cross was Jesus who sacrificed himself for us except a bible.

Well thats what I believed, my eldest brother became christian at the age of 23
and died at the age of 24, tsk, I guess god killed him... or was it just coincidence...
Anyway, also my mum and dad were buddism and my sister cathelic but stopped after we were born, me and my other brother who were not baptised and are pure atheist... ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:31 am
I was raised Catholic, though my family isn't particularly devout, and my dad is actually Baptist. I went to chuch when I was young, and I attended Catholic school from kindergarten through grade 13. University was a refreshing change.

I was never particularly devout, but I had blind faith throughout my childhood and early teens. Then one day, while building a physics project, my friend and I had a long discussion about religion. She really got me thinking and, slowly, my faith fell away. A fair number of my friends are pretty religious, and I don't have a problem with people who believe in God; I just have issues with the church as a whole, and I don't personally believe in God.  

pie_rat

E_Night

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:32 pm
s0ul caper~
I was never baptised, so I can't exactly say I had to convert.

same. but i did go to church a few times and I thought it was bullshit... I heart silly putty! the substance i took to church to play with while my friend was doing churchy things  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff