Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Unfinished Tales Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Onoj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:24 am
Now we all know that Morgoth laid the heavy part of his thought upon Hurin and all of his children but what I have always wondered is did he have a literal hand in their demise, or merely a figurative one?

I know he placed a curse on them but was this the only thing that brought about all their sorrow? Mere words? Was it merely because his thought and will and hatred were aimed at the kin of Hurin that, as he said, the whole of Arda would bend to his will and bring about distress for them. (This could account for the rains being out of season and all going ill when Turin was an outlaw)

Or was it merely by chance that his curse was held true. Like many curses that hold true but are not done so through physical involvement nor because of the help of Ardas powers.

What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:36 pm
Well, first of all a word of Morgoth is unlike any word from another creature. I do not think it was by chance that Hurin's family was misfortuned. I think that Morgoth, being a Vala (or ex-Vala), has the power to "curse" only his "curses" would be alot more powerful and effective than a curse done by a lesser being. Yes, I do believe that Arda changed according to his curse.  

SYFFER

Rhaella

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:09 pm
I find it hard to believe that Morgoth would have had the power to curse someone like that, and not have used it on the Noldor themselves. xd Though of course you could argue that he hardly needed to do so... confused

I think that after a certain point, a lot of the curse could have been simply psychological. Once Turin found out from Gwindor that his family was cursed by Morgoth, he might have at least unconsciously expected that his life was going to suck, to put it simply.

I think that if he went into everything he did, believing at least in part (even if he didn't even realise he believed) that he was doomed to failure, he himself made true success impossible.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:52 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Ithilvalan

Onoj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:21 pm
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:08 am

Ithilvalan

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:06 pm
I wanna read these 2 books crying  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:30 pm
Actually I don't remember where she went either. I don't think the book (Simirallion) says where she was, I assume she was still living in the caves or in a nearby village. How was she separated from Nienor in the first place?  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:47 am
Noooo clue sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:36 am
Rightio......have to go check it up myself sometime......don't you have a copy of the Silmarillion?  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:45 pm
Yeah but do you have any idea how hard it is to find ANYTHING in that book? xd I will try since the US is off on Thanksgiving break razz  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:25 pm
Aw, you know I find it strange that there is no Thanksgiving event on Gaia.....
Anyway I have just returned my friend her copy of the Silmirillion (I think I finally got the spelling right =P) So can't read until I go to the library... Do you know any good websites that might have the information?  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:01 pm
No idea sweatdrop Wikipedia or Google it perhaps?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:40 am
Lol, why did I bother asking rofl  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:54 pm
xd Did you expect a better answer? razz  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash