Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I've joined a Christian guild, and I'm doing an experiment. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:19 pm
Almost all the posts I've seen here have been from Atheists, and all agreeing on one thing: there is no God. But I've also seen posts about encounters with people wo have misconceptions about Atheists, so I began to get an idea.

I'd been wondering what the majority of religious people thought of Atheists. Also, I'd been trying to think up a way to clear up some of these misconceptions, if only for a few people.

And hence, the experiment.

I've posted a thread in the Christian guild, informing them that I'd be happy to answer any questions. This way, I can not only get rid of misconceptions, but I can discover just how accepting and open-minded the guild's members are. And hey, it doesn't hurt to have a little debate, too, does it? Although I'm prepared for possible arguments, it does not appear to be going in that direction.

Updates later. Until then, over and out!

Update: Right now, there's a slightly tense atmospere in the thread, almost as if we're all wondering: will this end badly? But for now, there is respect in every word. It's a rather formal-seeming thread, but I hope to change that!

Update: Someone's just posted a link to an article that supposedly explains how evolution is not possible. Are they trying to convert me? I politely told them I'd look at it. I am about to do that now.

Update: We've lost the formal atmosphere, and I have just announced that I am, in fact, a scrambled egg. xD (Long story. But don't worry, you don't have to worry about me giving off the impression that Atheists are downright crazy. whee ) I've had to do quite a bit of research for this experiment, to reply to a few of the questions, but I feel that I now know a lot more myself than I did before. I've found flaws in the aforementioned article that the link points to. However, I am wondering if anyone has a link I could post that leads to an article, or something of the sort, that argues FOR evolution? Do you know one?

Update: Things are going very well. I no longer need the link, although it would still be nice to know one--it may come in handy later on. I truly do think I may be making friends via this experiment. On top of that, the people whose questions I've answered now know much more about Atheism than before. And it's only the first day!

Update: I am sitting here, bored. I have just found a typo in the 'Zelda, Twilight Princess Manual'. I would now like to educate the world on the correct spelling of 'moveable'. It is early in the morning, and no one is online. But you didn't really need to know that.

Update: A few weeks into experiment, it's going well. I was worried we'd get off-topic and end up in debate for a while there, but we've been keeping on track! I might just expand this experiment to a second guild.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:24 pm
<_<

Hope you have some good downers.  

Theophrastus

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:39 pm
Try and keep a respectful tone and an open mind while you're there.

Represent us well. : ]  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:17 pm
I am being so respectful I feel like my brians are about to come out of my ears. surprised

But really. We seem to be getting along! 3nodding

Eaten By Cheese

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:05 am
As for a link which argues for evolution, try this one, if pure science sites don't work out with them.

http://www.theistic-evolution.com/index.html  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:47 am
Eaten By Cheese
I am being so respectful I feel like my brians are about to come out of my ears. surprised

Ohmigod, your brians are leaking out of your ears?

What about your Gordons? Or your Terry? I hope they don't get your Terry. o_o  

Theophrastus

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:40 am
Theophrastus
Eaten By Cheese

Ohmigod, your brians are leaking out of your ears?

What about your Gordons? Or your Terry? I hope they don't get your Terry. o_o

o_O It would seem so. Quite awkward, in fact.

I hope so too.

Although I do not have an inkling of what a 'Gordon' or a 'Terry' are. A kind of cabbage, perhaps?

mrgreen

Redem: Thanks a ton! That's better than what I could have hoped for!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:23 pm
I think there's a Christian who joined this guild a little while ago to conduct an experiment similar to yours.

It's like an exchange program. eek

Fuzzy Kittens

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:05 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
!!!

We should make a formal exchange program.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:17 am
Kudos to you! I could never do that. Religion just makes me uncomfortable.

Xiporah

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:07 pm
ZeeFishee
I think there's a Christian who joined this guild a little while ago to conduct an experiment similar to yours.

It's like an exchange program. eek

hahahaha, no scheisse. But... really. I have always said it and will always say. Us who reject christianity could make better christians. Mostly because we know their rules and rites and most often than not... know more about their holy books than themselves. (most of us anyway, those lucky enough to not have been raised as christians can get away with it) So there isn't that much that we don't know about them... or rather, our questions are not the "what are" "what is", but "why that and why this."  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 pm
I'm glad it went well. :3  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Marki2k7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:55 am
Xiporah

When you joined this guild did you expect people not to discuss religion?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:08 am
Marki2k7
Xiporah

When you joined this guild did you expect people not to discuss religion?

I'm sure she wasn't referring to our discussions?  

Tenth Speed Writer

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm
Sounds like you're having fun  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items