Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
This Just Made Me Laugh Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:42 pm
This article is about 10 days old, I dunno if any of you heard about it, but when I read it I laughed. For you see, the following article has made world news.

I got this off the American Atheist's website.

Governor Riley’s Call For Citizens to Pray For Rain a Waste of Time And Money, Declare Alabama’s Atheists

Alabama Governor Bob Riley’s official proclamation and press release beseeching the citizens of Alabama to pray for rain on June 28 was a waste of tax-payer’s time and money and probably violated the Alabama State Constitution.

Blair Scott, the Alabama State Director for American Atheists said, “Does the Governor of Alabama have nothing better to do with our tax-payer’s money than to issue official press releases and proclamations for our citizens to grovel to a non-existent deity?” Blair continued, “Instead of praying for rain, perhaps Gov. Riley should be working on resolving the issues caused by the drought or making preparations for an extended drought or another drought in the future.”

“Gov. Riley needs to be taking care of water management and perhaps looking at new irrigation policies as well as water rationing or making it temporarily illegal to wash cars or water lawns. These are legitimate ways to help in a drought,” stated Teri Muniz, an atheist in Huntsville.

Gov. Riley’s proclamation and press release, which contains specific references to the Bible and personal beseeching to the Christian God, probably violates Article 1, Section III of the Alabama State Constitution, which states in part, “…no preference shall be given by law to any religious sect, society, denomination, or mode of worship.”

“Elected officials in the state of Alabama need to be personally taking care of the state’s problems and not begging a non-existent deity to solve those problems,” said Blair Scott. “Gov. Riley’s proclamation amounts to nothing more than vote pandering because prayer does not work and will not end the drought. We need to consult a meteorologist and climatologist, not invisible rain-makers in the sky. Obviously, if there was a god, it knows of the drought and has chosen to ignore it.”  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:56 pm
Ah, yes. We've seen how prayer has worked so well in the past for solving our problems. Especially in the Dark Ages, eh? rolleyes
And isn't God supposed to help those who help themselves? Bloody morons.  

Karla Marx

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:08 pm
Karla Marx
Ah, yes. We've seen how prayer has worked so well in the past for solving our problems. Especially in the Dark Ages, eh? rolleyes
And isn't God supposed to help those who help themselves? Bloody morons.

Precisely.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:56 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
What the hell? Who are we, aborigines? Get that b*****d to where he belongs, in the Amazon fending for himself with nothing but his skin and his wits.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 am
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
What the hell? Who are we, aborigines? Get that b*****d to where he belongs, in the Amazon fending for himself with nothing but his skin and his wits.
ni el dinero ni el amor

No. Aborigines know how to deal with drought conditions.

And... this guy's not respectful enough to be an aborigine. stare  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:37 am
que me gusta lo mejor
OK, send him to an Indian reservation where they can show him how to do the Rain Dance. At least that's been time-tested.
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 am
Yeah, I know.

For real.

How dare he think he's better at asking a supernatural being for rain when the Native Americans have been doing it for, like, EVER. evil  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I prayed to the flying spaghetti monster.

It rained quite a bit over here! Yay! The FSM is REAL!

(Too bad I didn't pray for rain, but eh.)  

Kiyrugoji

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:30 am
Meirelle
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
ni el dinero ni el amor

No. Aborigines know how to deal with drought conditions.

And... this guy's not respectful enough to be an aborigine. stare

Too true. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 am
I'm an Alabamian.

Stuff like that increases public morale. The state is almost entirely Christian, why wouldn't it help? We still have the drought, people just look at it more hopefully.

(Actually, we've had a good bit of rain the past couple of weeks. It's still pretty dry, though.)  

Tenth Speed Writer

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:53 am
que me gusta lo mejor
I've decided I want California to secede from the Union.
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:53 am
Seems to me that this is just a glorified way of saying, "I don't know what to do."

I'll concede that it improves public morale, however it does so in a way that compromises national security. The Constitution of any State, nor the Constitution of the United States, are to never be violated for any reason. Those sets of laws are the barrier that keeps us America. Break it once, not much happens. Break them many times, the barrier breaks and the entire country is in grave danger.

I hope your call for prayers was worth it, Riley.  

Cirosan

Covered-Up Boxers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:43 am
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
I've decided I want California to secede from the Union.
ni el dinero ni el amor

Maybe in a couple million years, when it's finally broken off from the rest of the US.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:04 pm
Praying? Don't just beg. Offer something to God for once. Getting on your knees and thinking doesn't give you winning lottery numbers or an end to all war. Human sacrifices on the other hand...  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:33 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
According to Hercules (and by Hercules I mean Kevin Sorbo), the gods don't care about humans, and sacrificing s**t is pointless. But I still do it anyway. No one's gonna make me get rid of my Apollo Temple!
ni el dinero ni el amor

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas