Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist Drug Policy. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Drugs should...
  ...be legal!
  ...well, some drug should be legal.
  ...be allowed to those with illnesses only.
  ...stay illegal forver!
  ...what? Wait, where's the pot-head option???
View Results

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:41 pm
Without all that religous jargon getting in our way, I'd like to know our views on drug policy.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm
I think all drugs should be made legal. People will kill themselves one way or another. Whether it's by doing drugs, joining the army, becoming obese, smoking cigarettes, or drinking their own urine is really none of my business. I don't feel the government should have any right to tell people what they can or can't do regardless of whether it's for their "best interests." If the government was so concerned with helping people it would have outlawed tobacco and alcohol years ago, and passed a law against obesity. But it hasn't because those are profitable. Alcohol, tobacco, and obesity don't kill you fast enough to be considered a profit threat. If they could make people live 60 years addicted to crack, they would sell it themselves. Besides, most people against drugs have either never done it, had a family member abuse it, did too much of it, or are just repeating what they're told of of TV. But let me lay it out. Weed is harmless unless you're already an idiot and you abuse it and become an idiot pot-head. Coke ******** sucks, makes you look like a skeleton, and does thing thing to your face where you look like you had all the meat sucked out and now it's just a thin layer of skin on your skull. Crack...do I really need to say anything. Acid you'll never recover from. Ex (rolls, MDMA, ecstasy, whatever...) is fun but is a nasty drug that ******** you up more ways than should be imagined. Basically, only smoke weed, and even then do it sparingly. I know you're thinking, if I say these drugs are bad why not just ban them. Answer=freedom. People should have the right to be idiots. If all drugs were legalized tomorrow, I wouldn't do any of them. Would you? Probably not, because you know how horrible they are, and you don't want to end up like those brain dead zombies. So who would do it? Idiots. And the sooner they O.D. the better. It's one less moron in the gene pool.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:56 pm
I wouldn't do drugs personally, but I've known people who do and it doesn't bother me too much. If they were doing something like crack and selling it for a living, then I strongly doubt it'd be fine with me...As far as laws go I agree with them, and this includes marijuana, being illegal.

EDIT- damn you dathu for providing a good lengthy post with an opposite opinion that you posted while I was typing! lol. Now I feel the urge to explain my opinion! xp

Drugs should remain illegal as an extra deterrent to doing them and selling them. Something being illegal gives it extra negative stigma that will hopefully stick with you. I know from hearing a friend go over this argument with himself that knowing drugs are illegal can be the only thing keeping someone from going down 'that path.' He stopped at weed, although he does want to give that up too. On the flipside, a female friend showed a lot less restraint and is currently in jail. And she wasn't an idiot. In need of counseling, but not an idiot.
So although it is a deterrent, it still admittedly doesn't work all the time.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:59 am
All religious crap aside, I have to agree with Dathu to an extent. I can't see why it is the government's job to do the parent's job. This runs along the same lines of Grand Theft Auto SA. Because most parents aren't bright enough to look into and put limit's on thier children's possesions the government intercedes for them.

Anyway, back to the drugs. I feel that every human has the potential to make a difference, however drugs would hinder this. But one might argue that if they use drugs that they are making a difference by setting a bad example. Of course, not all would view it as bad and someone may take after. Unless you're a very fatalist individual, you may agree that when a person uses drugs it would bring thier potential down.
Heh, I don't think I need to explain why from a religious point of view. ^^;;

Timo.exe

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:07 pm
[_caustic_]
I wouldn't do drugs personally, but I've known people who do and it doesn't bother me too much. If they were doing something like crack and selling it for a living, then I strongly doubt it'd be fine with me...As far as laws go I agree with them, and this includes marijuana, being illegal.

EDIT- damn you dathu for providing a good lengthy post with an opposite opinion that you posted while I was typing! lol. Now I feel the urge to explain my opinion! xp

Drugs should remain illegal as an extra deterrent to doing them and selling them. Something being illegal gives it extra negative stigma that will hopefully stick with you. I know from hearing a friend go over this argument with himself that knowing drugs are illegal can be the only thing keeping someone from going down 'that path.' He stopped at weed, although he does want to give that up too. On the flipside, a female friend showed a lot less restraint and is currently in jail. And she wasn't an idiot. In need of counseling, but not an idiot.
So although it is a deterrent, it still admittedly doesn't work all the time.

Muhaha! xp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:56 pm
Huh... I didn't know god were against drugs too. Oh well, one more item in the bible hate-list.

Anywho, I agree that drugs should be legal. I've always thought like that. If you want to get brain dead, you go right ahead. And like it was mentioned here before, being 'bad for you' isn't the only reason (or maybe that isn't the reason at all) for drugs being illegal, since you can legally buy tobacco, alcohol and the like. But the way I see it, legallizing drugs would be just more profit for them. People dying at 60? Who wants to be senile anyways? We're overpopulated enough as it is.

I don't know in the US, but here in Brazil drug legallizing would probably sould a lot of problems. And the first I can think of is traffic. Rio de Janeiro city has the biggest groups of organized crime, all of them have something to do with drug traffic. With the legalization, no one would want to go all the way to the guettos to get something you can get legally somewhere else.  

MightyHikaru

xeagle01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:00 pm
I say they should still be illegal. Although alcohol and the likes are bad for you, and addictive, I have not heard of nearly as many instances of violence in order to get these substances. That, and the effects that they have on those not taking them, but must live around them. Many users can't hold job, our taxes would be supporting them with unemployment. I don't feel like legalizing substances which greatly affect the way a person can hold a job.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:48 pm
xeagle01
I say they should still be illegal. Although alcohol and the likes are bad for you, and addictive, I have not heard of nearly as many instances of violence in order to get these substances. That, and the effects that they have on those not taking them, but must live around them. Many users can't hold job, our taxes would be supporting them with unemployment. I don't feel like legalizing substances which greatly affect the way a person can hold a job.

That is easily the most convincing anti-drug argument I've ever heard.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Sors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:42 pm
Does it even really matter?
If you want to do drugs, sure go have some fun. If you want to spend every day of your life plastered, go for it. If you choose to never do drugs that's good too.
As an atheist, I believe it's your choice and yours alone to deside what you do with your body. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:47 pm
I believe drugs should stay illegal. We have enough deaths by alcohol, and people under the influence of it. Thousands of people die each year from getting hit by drunk drivers, lives are ruined through drunken family members (I.E. getting molested by a drunk grandfather, getting abused by a drunken mother/father, getting maimed by a drunken husband/wife, etc.)
Things like this would only get worse if people weren't in fear of prison.
The economy would probably fall apart, work places would most likely become disasters.
In-short, drugs are horrible, and shouldn't exist in the first place.

MightyHikaru
We're overpopulated enough as it is.

Uh, no. We're not overpopulated. Ever been to Montana?  

Hii-kun

MightyHikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:27 pm
xeagle01

People only kill, rob and whatnot, to get drugs because they're illegal. If they were sold at your local 7/11, people wouldn't need to do that.

hii-kun

Maybe your neighborhood isn't. But on the whole, we are overpopulated. Specially with less fortunate people, who sometimes have up to 8 kids. Too much people, too little jobs. But that's a bit off-subject.

hii-kun
I believe drugs should stay illegal. We have enough deaths by alcohol, and people under the influence of it. Thousands of people die each year from getting hit by drunk drivers, lives are ruined through drunken family members (I.E. getting molested by a drunk grandfather, getting abused by a drunken mother/father, getting maimed by a drunken husband/wife, etc.)
Things like this would only get worse if people weren't in fear of prison.
The economy would probably fall apart, work places would most likely become disasters.
In-short, drugs are horrible, and shouldn't exist in the first place.

Well damn. That's probably the most reasonable drugs-should-remain-illegal argument. *has changed his mind on the subject*  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:19 pm
2 words

LEGALIZED MARIJUANA

yes drugs are bad when people abuse them but i so agree with Dathu. The only problem i have with any drug users is if they indanger someone else.

back to the legalized marijuana: go for it. my mom has used it for medicinal porpuses and a lot of people need it to ease their pain. In my eyes marijuana is just as bad as tabacco side from the minor highness. Not actualy taking the drugs myself nor do i want to at this point, i really dont know that much about it sept for the stuff i was suposed to be listening to in health.

My Final 2 cents: Let them get high domokun  

E_Night

xeagle01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:37 pm
MightyHikaru
xeagle01

People only kill, rob and whatnot, to get drugs because they're illegal. If they were sold at your local 7/11, people wouldn't need to do that.

Legalizing would lower the number of deaths as far as importing it, and the battles over who sells where, but it would still be expensive. Even if was sold at grocery stores, people rob and kill for the money. People would still be unable to hold jobs, children would be neglected and entire parts of cities would just be literal s**t holes. I am not talking about a bit of weed. I am talking about crack, meth, and the heavier drugs. Most of the deaths would still be from those needing money to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:34 pm
Hii-kun
It's about the food; not the land we have. We're not crampedd, we're starving. Ever been to ethiopia?  

Grand Moff Locket

Hii-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:08 pm
Grand Moff Locket
Hii-kun
It's about the food; not the land we have. We're not crampedd, we're starving. Ever been to ethiopia?

>_> Starvation is a result of stupidity, Lock. (xD I don't want to do this again.)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff