Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Ever felt bad about making someone doubt their faith? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:07 am
My ex recently told me about how bad I made her feel while we were dating. She says it was the worst anyone’s made her feel. Which is ironic; imagine how bad her saying that makes me feel. Anyway, it’s all because we had this discussion about religion.

It got pretty heated, to the point where she was yelling at me asking, “Then what are you trying to do? Make me doubt myself?” I later told her that that wasn’t my intention, that I was giving her my beliefs and how it makes her feel isn’t my responsibility. So, now she tells me she wants to study apologetics in college. I can officially check this off as one of my biggest mistakes ever.

So, have any of you ever felt bad about making someone doubt their faith?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 am
Eh, no. Then again, I'm a Christo-agnost, so I get a lot of strange looks. But that's it.  

Kiyrugoji

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:09 am
Nope. I would say that if I made someone doubt their faith, that would be a great victory.

The idea that they hold something like that beyond doubt is... freaky. Creeps me out.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:05 am
Redem
Nope. I would say that if I made someone doubt their faith, that would be a great victory.

The idea that they hold something like that beyond doubt is... freaky. Creeps me out.
Would you still consider it a victory if you made someone you care about feel terrible in the process?  

Reichkovich

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:19 am
The dinosaurs are returning...

The fact that you made her doubt, and have the ability to see the entire "conflict" from a different side is a great victory, although if she wants to study apologetics in college because if it then you know that she's obviously not really worthy of being treated as a human on your part, at least in my point of view.

...and they want their oil back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:03 am
I've been told I made people doubt their faith, but then later they say that I helped their faith become even stronger 'cos they still believe after all of that doubting. And thats actually sort of frustrating for me, because they make me out to be a Satan-like-figure tempting them into the darkside because I pointed out the flaws in their faith, and that they overcame that with Jesusness and Godliness. confused
"Take that you heathen, and your little evolution too!"  

Karla Marx

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:12 pm
[The Looney Bin]

The fact that you made her doubt, and have the ability to see the entire "conflict" from a different side is a great victory, although if she wants to study apologetics in college because if it then you know that she's obviously not really worthy of being treated as a human on your part, at least in my point of view.

... All the talk about 'victory' creeps me out.

And while allowing someone to see religion from a different perspective is a 'victory' as it seems I am not out to tempt people from their faith. I simply want others to respect my beliefs as they feel we should respect theirs and as long as that's the case then I don't care what anyone else believes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 pm
I pulled my best friend into agnosticism, but only after causing her fifty kinds of hell doubting herself. I don't know how she's doing even right now, we've hardly talked the past week or so.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:54 pm
You can make someone doubt their faith? I've been trying for years. I thought it was impossible.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:12 pm
Reichkovich
Redem

Would you still consider it a victory if you made someone you care about feel terrible in the process?

It's not a matter of victory. And I would hope I would handle it more delicately than you seem to have.

It's about approaching things the best way, and blind belief is not the way. I cannot think of a single massacre in history where blind faith in a religion/person/ideal was not a significant factor.

Faith is the worst idea humanity has ever dreamt up.  

Redem

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:14 pm
Reichkovich
[The Looney Bin]

... All the talk about 'victory' creeps me out.

And while allowing someone to see religion from a different perspective is a 'victory' as it seems I am not out to tempt people from their faith. I simply want others to respect my beliefs as they feel we should respect theirs and as long as that's the case then I don't care what anyone else believes.

If she chose to discuss the matter with you, then the fault is hers that her "faith" cannot deal with a little reason or self-examination. No, I would not feel bad for that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:19 pm
Redem
Reichkovich
Redem

It's not a matter of victory. And I would hope I would handle it more delicately than you seem to have.

It's about approaching things the best way, and blind belief is not the way. I cannot think of a single massacre in history where blind faith in a religion/person/ideal was not a significant factor.

Faith is the worst idea humanity has ever dreamt up.

Even faith in avoiding matters of faith?

Not everyone can be kind, moral, and happy without something perceived beyond themselves to grab onto. While dragging them into a position of need to do so, it's unnecessary, and not equivalently beneficial to do so when weighed against the costs interred if they should be unable to step up to life without said religion.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:07 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

Even faith in avoiding matters of faith?

In avoiding blind faith, yes.
The sceptics paradox wink

Tenth Speed Writer

Not everyone can be kind, moral, and happy without something perceived beyond themselves to grab onto. While dragging them into a position of need to do so, it's unnecessary, and not equivalently beneficial to do so when weighed against the costs interred if they should be unable to step up to life without said religion.

That would be the difference between those who hide themselves away from criticism of their religion, and those who voluntarily choose to talk to people who disagree with them.

If they choose to, they are to blame for any consequences.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:10 am
I don't initiate talks about religion with people who don't agree with me, or I know I'd get into an argument with.

However, if someone else starts a debate, I bring out the big guns. razz

I have yet to make anyone feel miserable, though.  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Fuzzy Kittens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:11 pm
I don't think you can make someone doubt their faith. I think you can only encourage the smidgen of doubt they may already have.

Disregarding that note, while to my knowledge I have never made someone doubt their faith, some of my Christian-bashing remarks have caused a few people to feel bad.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff